Merle Haggard
Established Member
I read somewhere that the Stanier Pacifics carried enough for an out and back run to Scotland, as suitable quality coal wasn't available there. Said to cause problems if the loco was then "borrowed" for a local service and had to be topped up
You may well be right, but...
In the Book of the Princess Royal Pacifics, the following comment appears, 'The (1936) tenders at first were also of a nominal 9 ton capacity. Pacifics, of course, were running longer distances than had been customary and, even at nine tons, the capacity was found to be limited. They were uprated in late 1937 to 10 tonners. Of course, that doesn't negate the point you made.
I remember B.R. produced 'Research Bulletins' of loco. performance, and these include lbs of coal consumed per mile, which would give some indication. Admittedly, this would be in near-perfect conditions, and Furnessvale points out what sometimes happened; in the case of a former Wellingborough fireman I knew well, one of his drivers blasted along on long cut-off (with an 8F), with the clear intention of making him work very hard, and sneered when he complained.