• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S Stock Deliveries - No longer Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

trivran

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
194
S Stock:
- They doors still always scare the **** out of me :shock:
- Acceleration seems average? Maybe that was just the drivers and not the train?
- Probably could do with a bit more 2+2 seating
- Very bright interior
- The lights on the inside don't fit in with the modern interior IMO dunno why :lol:


Don't really see the problem with a plastic interior?

:o How could you say that about the doors? They've turned the volume down on them :( It's the best bit..the acceleration is to match the A Stock..

One thing I will say is..the S Stock smell horrible.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ert47

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
688
:o How could you say that about the doors? They've turned the volume down on them :( It's the best bit..the acceleration is to match the A Stock..

One thing I will say is..the S Stock smell horrible.

Do they smell as bad as SouthEasterns's 375? (they smell like crayons most of the time)
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,296
:o How could you say that about the doors? They've turned the volume down on them .

Noo not the sound, but the way they open. The actual sound of them opening! And the speed, you try and touch the door button and they fly open!
 

trivran

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
194
The smell? Imagine Crayons and Curry.

Oh god yes, that got me to, those evil doors flying open when you think the driver has set it to pax operate..huge shock..
 

hluraven

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2012
Messages
132
The doors certainly open with a bang, and they have a bit of a new car smell to them, but they are very decent trains. The old A's had more character of course, but were well past their prime.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,960
Location
UK
Should the subject be changed now - as it keeps making me think deliveries are suspended when that's obviously no longer the case.
 

cle

Established Member
Joined
17 Nov 2010
Messages
5,667
I travel between Farringdon and Baker St daily on the Met (not H&C as I change to Bakerloo and am lazy!) - and I hate the A Stocks.

They're old, slow and not suitable for the Central London stretch. People don't move down and they're not good for crowds.

I suspect people living in Amersham would have a very different experience. Problem is that these trains need to be two things: commuter rail and then high density tube. I use it for the latter, and the S Stock is incredibly welcome.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
Oh god yes, that got me to, those evil doors flying open when you think the driver has set it to pax operate..huge shock..

They truly do give you a bit of a shock, they're lethal! Reminds me of some of the Paris metro stock, where you flick up a catch and the doors (rapidly) open.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suspect people living in Amersham would have a very different experience. Problem is that these trains need to be two things: commuter rail and then high density tube. I use it for the latter, and the S Stock is incredibly welcome.

Nail hit on the head there. My experiences of the Met is normally coming in from uxbridge area, so a good 30 - 35 minutes. I found the S stock ok, just not as cosy as the old A stock, but people get found and a bit misty-eyed over old things. I'd still go for an A stock if I saw one for old times sake and to have one before total withdrawl, but the S stock is a more than adequate replacement long term
 

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Jul 2011
Messages
20,380
Could always try to solve that problem by braking the line in half at Baker Street.....
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,775
but the big selling point of the Met, over say Chiltern services, is that it has services direct to the heart of the City of London
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
After today, there are only 18 S8 pairs which I have not had for haulage; allowing for deliveries still being commissioned the bug eyed things are creeping ever closer to total domination!

5080 + 5092 were today's A Stock scrap run, by the way.:cry:
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
The smell? Imagine Crayons and Curry.

Oh god yes, that got me to, those evil doors flying open when you think the driver has set it to pax operate..huge shock..

So can they be pax operated? I caught one last week from KXSP to Liv. St. and the doors seemed to be closed longer than usual, then someone pressed the door button and they opened. Buit I'd assumed it was just coincidental!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
They open automatically when the train comes to a stop, then they close after a set time from the last detected person passing through them following which they can be opened again by means of the button until the departure sequence closes the doors for, well, departure.
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,543
Location
West London
After today, there are only 18 S8 pairs which I have not had for haulage; allowing for deliveries still being commissioned the bug eyed things are creeping ever closer to total domination!
Just 9 S8s not yet delivered; +3 S8-1, +2 PP S8s to be redelivered.


They open automatically when the train comes to a stop, then they close after a set time from the last detected person passing through them following which they can be opened again by means of the button until the departure sequence closes the doors for, well, departure.
The doors are still opened by the driver.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
After today, there are only 18 S8 pairs which I have not had for haulage; allowing for deliveries still being commissioned the bug eyed things are creeping ever closer to total domination!

5080 + 5092 were today's A Stock scrap run, by the way.:cry:

When are all the A stock likely to be gone by does anybody know? I was thinking of a trip to London in July possibly, and would have liked to have done an A stock before they all go.

Thanks in advance :)
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,543
Location
West London
When are all the A stock likely to be gone by does anybody know? I was thinking of a trip to London in July possibly, and would have liked to have done an A stock before they all go.

Thanks in advance :)
I would make sure you visit before that large sporting event at the end of July! All the As should be gone by then.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Pretty sure that's what he meant by 'the doors open automatically when the train comes to a stop' - either that or the driver has to hope he doesn't meet a red signal anywhere inbetween stations ;)
I just thought the original poster was under the misapprehension that doors were already setup automatically, as LU are planning to implement.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Just 9 S8s not yet delivered; +3 S8-1, +2 PP S8s to be redelivered.

What's the second pre production set? If it's 21003/4 that's been in traffic for a long time. I thought it was only the first set, 21001/2, that needed to come back?

The ones I haven't bashed are:

21001/2
21035/6
21037/8
21045/6
21047/8
21059/60
21083/4
21085/6
21087/8
21093/4
21099/100
21101/2
21105/6 upwards.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
I would make sure you visit before that large sporting event at the end of July! All the As should be gone by then.
QUOTE]

What is this large sporting event you mention? :o (jokes)

Ok, will make a note of that, thanks for your help :)
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,960
Location
UK
Why, given the fact that the S-stock and 2009 stock were both built by Bombardier is the door opening chime different? Would there be any logical reason for this that I'm missing, or just a case of whatever parts available at the time?

I used two S-Stock trains again today (in fact, at Baker St I saw nothing but them) and I have to say I really like them. But I'm also quite a fan of the 378s (but the interior is nicer on the S-Stock IMO). All of my experiences of them seem to be good, and I hope the problems are long gone now. Can't wait for the S7s now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top