• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rumour - GWR local services to get separate franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,530
Location
Plymouth
The above is doing the rounds at work at present, apparently to be announced amid great fanfare in June. Local services to return to a Wessex trains type franchise separated off from intercity. Doesn't make much sense to me but interesting to see what people here think?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,024
Location
here to eternity
I thought this idea was consulted on a short time back but ruled out by the DfT as there were too many (correct in my opinion) objections?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I hope not; GWR/FGW is generally a reasonably competently run franchise (within some fairly limiting constraints) and having the local lines as part of it (as with EMT) means good connections etc rather than marginalisation of the branches.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Unless the devolution decision has already been made, I would have expected all these remapping debates would be put off until the Williams review is complete.
I could understand them maybe splitting the franchise management into two sub-TOCs within GWR, as has happened with West Midlands Trains.
But I don't believe there is any plan to re-compete the GWR franchise at the moment.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,530
Location
Plymouth
The idea of separating the intercity services and local branches to Devon and Cornwall as a different franchise from GWR was rejected, the difference now is the intercity would stay as part of GWR (as was until 2006) with local stuff hived off. As I said don't shoot the messenger may well be twaddle but apparently came out of a meeting from quite high up....
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
Isn't this effectively what is going to happen between reading and Paddington anyway when Crossrail launches.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,516
Unless the devolution decision has already been made, I would have expected all these remapping debates would be put off until the Williams review is complete..
Absolutely, unless those at the top have already decided the Williams review will in practice just amount to a largely meaningless talking shop.
 

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,278
The idea of separating the intercity services and local branches to Devon and Cornwall as a different franchise from GWR was rejected, the difference now is the intercity would stay as part of GWR (as was until 2006) with local stuff hived off. As I said don't shoot the messenger may well be twaddle but apparently came out of a meeting from quite high up....

Well, I will personally shoot whoever is putting this about so that you hear such stuff.

I have seen the latest (issued last week) version of the Draft RfP from the DfT for the forthcoming DA3 award and it is one operation, no split.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,530
Location
Plymouth
Well, I will personally shoot whoever is putting this about so that you hear such stuff.

I have seen the latest (issued last week) version of the Draft RfP from the DfT for the forthcoming DA3 award and it is one operation, no split.
That's a relief thanks for clearing it up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top