• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RST elligibity after retired employee death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollymog

New Member
Joined
1 Oct 2025
Messages
2
Location
Yorkshire
Hi, I have searched the Web and scoured the RST website and not found an answer to my question, so I'm asking here and hoping someone may be able to shed some light on it.

I currently hold a child dependant travel card, I am over 25 but not in employment and recieve a disability benefit, which is my only income.
This is from my dad's previous employment with the railway, he was a railwayman for around 30 years until his position in the railway was made redundant so he left their employ in approximately 1994.

He passed away a couple of months ago.

I am slowly coming to terms with everything and sorting out his affairs.

I know I need to submit the forms to say he no longer requires his staff travel facilities, what I can't seem to find confirmation of though is if this also means the end of my own eligibility for a travel pass?

As mentioned above, I can't find any info on the website which mentions this, everything I have read pertains to spouses and widowers rather than children.

Thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrew1395

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2014
Messages
666
Location
Bushey
I believe in your case you need to be a financial dependent of the primary card holder, which is now no longer the case following the passing of your father.

As the wording says, best check with RSTL direct. I am certain your circumstances will have occurred before. So a precedent (answer) will be available to you.

The purpose of providing the dependent child with travel benefits is to reduce the financial impact of supporting that child on the primary card holder. Not to provide a benefit directly to that child.

Anyway check, and hopefully you will get some good news.

i believe this is the relevant text from the rules for eligibility for dependents. These need to apply before the income threshold rules, which are designed to further restrict the application of the entitlement to travel benefits described below:-


To be eligible to receive rail staff travel facilities, the Dependant must be financially dependent upon the primary cardholder, and generally be permanently living with the primary cardholder. ……………….

Please contact RST for further advice.
 
Last edited:

Mollymog

New Member
Joined
1 Oct 2025
Messages
2
Location
Yorkshire
I believe in your case you need to be a financial dependent of the primary card holder, which is now no longer the case following the passing of your father.

As the wording says, best check with RSTL direct. I am certain your circumstances will have occurred before. So a precedent (answer) will be available to you.

The purpose of providing the dependent child with travel benefits is to reduce the financial impact of supporting that child on the primary card holder. Not to provide a benefit directly to that child.

Anyway check, and hopefully you will get some good news.

i believe this is the relevant text from the rules for eligibility for dependents. These need to apply before the income threshold rules, which are designed to further restrict the application of the entitlement to travel benefits described below:-


To be eligible to receive rail staff travel facilities, the Dependant must be financially dependent upon the primary cardholder, and generally be permanently living with the primary cardholder. ……………….

Please contact RST for further advice.

Thanks for the reply, I will check with them directly
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
I believe in your case you need to be a financial dependent of the primary card holder, which is now no longer the case following the passing of your father.

As the wording says, best check with RSTL direct. I am certain your circumstances will have occurred before. So a precedent (answer) will be available to you.

The purpose of providing the dependent child with travel benefits is to reduce the financial impact of supporting that child on the primary card holder. Not to provide a benefit directly to that child.

Anyway check, and hopefully you will get some good news.

i believe this is the relevant text from the rules for eligibility for dependents. These need to apply before the income threshold rules, which are designed to further restrict the application of the entitlement to travel benefits described below:-


To be eligible to receive rail staff travel facilities, the Dependant must be financially dependent upon the primary cardholder, and generally be permanently living with the primary cardholder. ……………….

Please contact RST for further advice.
Why wouldn't they be entitled?

Spouses and other dependant children remain eligible following the death of the employee as long as they still meet the criteria.
As long as the OP still meets the criteria of being in receipt of disability benefits, surely they will still be entitled to the travel facilities?
 

Andrew1395

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2014
Messages
666
Location
Bushey
If they meet the criteria …”To be eligible to receive rail staff travel facilities, the Dependant must be financially dependent upon the primary cardholder, and generally be permanently living with the primary cardholder” Of course they also need to demonstrate that they income requirements. Previously their father made a declaration that the over 25 income rules were met.

A spouse/Widower remains financially dependent because they receive pension benefits based on the primary card holders pension. Or death in service payments from the pension scheme.

Children are treated differently, with very specific income thresholds. An adult child living independently would not be considered dependent.

I don't think it is appropriate to speculate on how the OPs financial situation has been altered by the death of the father. As i quoted the course of action is to contact the RSTL administration team who will be able to give definitive advice. As i said i expect these circumstances have occurred before.
 
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,770
Why wouldn't they be entitled?
I don't know what happens in these circumstances but I believe eligibility relies on the (ex-)employee vouching for the dependant's eligibility. This would be difficult when they are deceased.
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
I think if a spouse receives a widow/ers pension, then any dependents would still be a dependent of the deceased.
What would stop someone over 25 from meeting the criteria that wouldn't stop someone under 25 meeting the criteria?
I believe the OP would still meet the criteria for travel facilities.
It would be interesting if the OP would return after any communications with RSTL to let us know the outcome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top