In the old days you just had to say to the traction inspector that you were happy with a route and you would be let loose on it.
In this day and age, being allowed to drive alone on a route is far more in depth. When you sign a route, you have to do a written assessment which asks questions about every (controlled) signal, junction, tunnel, station, multispad signals, gradients, areas of known low adhesion, external factors to the railway. You also have to do a practical driver over the route, repeating the things in the written assessment as you get to them. Nobody is signing off a route unless they are absolutely spot on on it. And this knowledge is re-assessed at least once a year for senior drivers, and far more regularly for more junior drivers. I'm in my 4th year of driving and I get assessed every 2 months to make sure all my knowledge is still up to scratch.
So I can't see how this technology will aid me. I don't feel like I could know anymore about my routes, and I don't think that looking down at an iPad when I could be looking out the front of a train is any better, or safer, than proper route knowledge.