I was brought up to call them mate, stop putting silly analogies forward.So is it still okay for you to refer to black people by the old terms that you 'grew up with ' or the English that you have known?
I was brought up to call them mate, stop putting silly analogies forward.So is it still okay for you to refer to black people by the old terms that you 'grew up with ' or the English that you have known?
That’s entirely the point! There is no ‘ler’ gender!Some seemingly don't.
I still answer the phone, at work, as signalman. I was born a male therefore I am a man. I also work with female colleagues who I consider to be signal(wo)men. Does that make me a non-politically correct dinosaur?
If anyone can show me the gender 'ler' then I'll reconsider my position.
You actually use the term 'signalwoman' to refer to your colleague?Some seemingly don't.
I still answer the phone, at work, as signalman. I was born a male therefore I am a man. I also work with female colleagues who I consider to be signal(wo)men. Does that make me a non-politically correct dinosaur?
If anyone can show me the gender 'ler' then I'll reconsider my position.
What is this new buzzword ’exclusionary’ all about? What does it mean?They may not be trying to be offensive, and indeed they aren’t per se, but it is exclusionary whether they mean it or not. Just as police man or signal man is gendered and exclusionary- whether they mean it to be or not.
Would you still find it acceptable for racist terms to still be used because they were once deemed acceptable? Or fruity language to describe someone who is LGBT perhaps? I certainly wouldn’t.
Seems pretty straightforward to me. Signalman is exclusionary because it suggests that only a man can be a signaller. We all know anyone can be a signaller, so the job title doesn't need a gender attached to it for no useful reason.What is this new buzzword ’exclusionary’ all about? What does it mean?
How is calling someone of any gender ……….man excluding them from anything?
The dictionary definition certainly defines the word as nothing like the context some people use it in.
No one is being excluded from anything.
Won’t be long before the sphincter police come along and shut this down!
So you're saying that, in this example, women are incapable of doing the job simply because it has 'man' in the title? What a strange, weak-willed bunch you must think women are.Well I think you can work out the meaning here
Defining a job as a gender - male for instance - has the effect of excluding non- males from doing that job. Therefore - exclusionary.
Well I think you can work out the meaning here
Defining a job as a gender - male for instance - has the effect of excluding non- males from doing that job. Therefore - exclusionary.
I agree that the gender attachment is not needed at all but putting ‘man’ at the end of a job title does not exclude.Seems pretty straightforward to me. Signalman is exclusionary because it suggests that only a man can be a signaller. We all know anyone can be a signaller, so the job title doesn't need a gender attached to it for no useful reason.
I am surprised so many people are that upset at altering the language in a book to be more inclusive.
Historically they would indeed have been barred from some jobs because of their gender, yes. Pleanty of people will remember when women drivers were allowed.How the hell is it defining a job as a gender?
A gender is a gender and a role is a role!
So historically, woman (or those in between!) haven’t applied for jobs with ‘man’ in the title because they thought it was for men only?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Where does it imply, apart from in your mind, that only a man can do the job?
Patent nonsense. The term 'man' has always been used as a synonym for 'human' as well as meaning 'male human' specifically.Seems pretty straightforward to me. Signalman is exclusionary because it suggests that only a man can be a signaller.
No it doesn’t need a gender attached, I totally agree but………..
How the hell is it defining a job as a gender?
A gender is a gender and a role is a role!
So historically, woman (or those in between!) haven’t applied for jobs with ‘man’ in the title because they thought it was for men only?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Where does it imply, apart from in your mind, that only a man can do the job?
I'm afraid we have reached an impass. Your not going to accept my stance on this matter, and I'm afraid I don't really accept yours. I understand why you don't agree with me, but I don't think we are likely to ever see eye to eye on this one. Given you have resorted to calling my view nonsense I think we'd better leave it at that. Have a good eveningPatent nonsense. The term 'man' has always been used as a synonym for 'human' as well as meaning 'male human' specifically.

So you're saying that, in this example, women are incapable of doing the job simply because it has 'man' in the title? What a strange, weak-willed bunch you must think women are.
No it doesn’t need a gender attached, I totally agree but………..
How the hell is it defining a job as a gender?
A gender is a gender and a role is a role!
So historically, woman (or those in between!) haven’t applied for jobs with ‘man’ in the title because they thought it was for men only?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Where does it imply, apart from in your mind, that only a man can do the job?
So just to flip the argument for a moment as there seems to be no convincing some people.
Would you think it odd if I, as a white cis male, described myself as a signalwoman? Or a police lady?
And, I suppose the flip side to that is that some people didn’t think “pilotman” was either very good English or particularly inclusive, and the status quo was equally unwelcome.I think the problem is - and this is a criticism of the wider movement to change the language, not of the RSSB in particular - that the change is being forced on people, not all of whom wish it.
No, there should be one, unambiguous term in the Rule Book to describe someone’s job and it should be one which is inclusive, where that is possible.:n the end, as long as your meaning is clear, it seems reasonable that people should be allowed to use whatever words they are most comfortable with, and we ought to respect that.
If it's only a word, why don't you "chill out" about the new one?Anyone who can get upset, feel excluded or generally feel picked on because of words like pilotman, fireman etc needs to chill out a bit.
It’s only a word.
What's this supposed to mean? It sounds like you're using hyperbole here. Or just talking complete nonsense.Won’t be long before the sphincter police come along and shut this down!
I'm afraid you're wrong there. Before the word 'human' was borrowed from French 'man' was the only word used to mean a member of the human species - an adult male was, going back far enough, a 'wær' (whence 'werewolf').It’s not and has never been short for human
It’s not the word, as I said earlier.If it's only a word, why don't you "chill out" about the new one?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
What's this supposed to mean? It sounds like you're using hyperbole here. Or just talking complete nonsense.
Oh give over! If it mattered as little as you claim it did then you wouldn't be getting so angry about the change.Please, come on, The worlds gone mad!
Next to go will be (dare I say it) ‘black’ low adhesion days?
Quite.This change is fairly meaningless and doesn't do much to tackle real issues of inequality, lack of diversity or lack of access but it should annoy the culture warriors so I am all for it. They will be more florid than usual.
In fairness to people who find it difficult (and speaking as someone who uses they/them for themselves), there is a difference between using they as an impersonal/generic singular and using it for a known individual. "The judge adjusted their wig" sounds more natural to many than (say) "my friend Rob told me they were angry" (which might sound more like Rob was talking about a person or persons unknown).The English language has done that since at least the time of Chaucer.
That is your opinion.Oh give over! If it mattered as little as you claim it did then you wouldn't be getting so angry about the change.
I’m not debating in general.I'm afraid you're wrong there. Before the word 'human' was borrowed from French 'man' was the only word used to mean a member of the human species - an adult male was, going back far enough, a 'wær' (whence 'werewolf').
But they aren't. The suffix '-man' is gender neutral, applicable to both genders.I’m not debating in general.
I am saying that fireman, policeman, signalman were all gendered job titles, they absolutely weren’t just from the abbreviations from human.
Hence they have been changed
To those to whom it matters, it's important. To me it makes no difference to say 'staffed' or 'crewed' than 'manned', and so I don't mind changing it if it helps people feel more comfortable.The 'manned' thing seems nonsense
Inclusivity is unlikely to be improved by lecturing people on points of grammatical pedantry. Is it that much to talk of Fire Crews, Police Officers, and Signallers? It's a minor compromise that makes some people feel more comfortable doing or applying for the job.But they aren't. The suffix '-man' is gender neutral, applicable to both genders.