• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RPSI 'The Spare Link' tour (24-25th March 2012).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
Including the first steam visit to the Howth branch since before the DART opened.

Planned loco is 461, coaching stock to be the RPSI Cravens set.

‘The Spare Link’

A special excursion to mark the retirement and acknowledge the assistance over the years to the RPSI of driver Dan Renehan.

Dublin - Dunboyne - Rosslare - Wexford on Saturday 24th March 2012
Wexford - Wicklow - Howth - Dublin on Sunday 25th March 2012

A two-day, steam hauled event featuring the recently re-opened line to Dunboyne, the scenic Dublin and South Eastern line along the East Coast and a return to steam on the Howth branch.

Tickets: €70/£60

Outline times are:
Saturday: Depart Dublin Connolly 09:50
Sunday: Arrive Dublin Connolly 15:55

Waiting List Booking Form

Note the initial seating allocation is now full, a booking form for the waiting list is available, passengers will be informed of the outcome by the end of February.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I T S

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2010
Messages
576
I assume a diesel loco will be required from Howth to Dublin?
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
I assume a diesel loco will be required from Howth to Dublin?

Yep.

And from Dublin to 'Dunboyne' (not M3 Parkway?)?

No there's a runaround facility in M3 Parkway or whatever it likes to call itself. The reason it wasn't used on the September tour was because the train was heading back into Docklands where 186 would have had to been shunt released anyway. I suspect the reason such a facility exists in Dunboyne/M3P is because it was only meant to be phase 1 of 2 of the Navan line reopening project, a set of points would have been eventually needed at the far end anyway where it to become a passing loop. Whereas in the case of Midleton there was never any official plan to reopen the line further.
 

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
This bears all the ingredients be a great social weekend: new loco, leisurely, and a night out in Wexford always pleases and of course some rear track around Dublin too for steam!
 
Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Shame I won't be able to make this, it sounds like a lot of fun. I've got three visits to Ireland pencilled in in 2012, for the 450 farewell, the RPSI May thing, and the Portrush Flyer. A fourth will be taking the **** somewhat, especially as with a night in Wexford this one will be more ching heavy than the others.
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
The initial seating allocation for this tour is now sold out. A waiting list booking form is available here. Availability of seats will be confirmed by the end of February.
 

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
GM078,

the form is the same as the normal one. Do we enclose payment with this one? Or wait to hear if there is space.

cheers
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
GM078,

the form is the same as the normal one. Do we enclose payment with this one? Or wait to hear if there is space.

cheers

Yeah you include payment with this one. Obviously nothing is cashed until they're sure of space being available.
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
Only a few tickets left for the Spare Link, so it's advised that intending passengers book soon.

However, there are still tickets available for the '171 For 171' diesel (071 class requested) tour on April 21st.
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
Has a 201 ever operated on the branch before? I've heard of a case where a mkIII push-pull set on a special was specifically 121 operated to avoid a 201 (this was after 121s were replaced by 201s on Dublin area push-pulls).
 

Csalem

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
292
Location
Dublin, Ireland
The general consensus is that was the first visit of a 201 to Howth. I thought one may have gone down when the signals were upgraded but I seem to be alone in that belief.
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
It will be interesting to see what gets sent out to haul the Cravens back in on the last leg of the tour... but hey, 071 or 201 a loco on the Howth branch is an event in itself! I was on an ITG tour in the early 2000s which involved 175 out to Howth and NIR 112 back in - having recently viewed photos of that tour on another site it seems that Craven 1505 was one of the carriages used (as was 1508 obviously) it had just received a repaint prior to working that tour, co-incidentally it will also be on this tour though its paint job has by now seen better days.

I believe the aforementioned ITG tour was the last visit of a loco hauled passenger to Howth to date.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Tickets were sent earlier this week so should be with participants now or soon.
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
There's a good chance we'll get an 071, should be one spare at Connolly shed off the Taras :D

Quite possible, I recall someone telling me that it's sometimes easier to procure an 071 because they're not as tied up as the 201s... don't know how true that is though.

Actually not sure if 461 herself has been to Howth before, certainly not in preservation. I know either her or 462 was stored in Sutton for a while towards the end of steam but don't know if the K2s would have ever reached Howth itself.
 

Klepht01

New Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2
Hi I am making my first trip to Ireland which co-insides with this railtour.
Hence I hope to take an hour off and go and see it somewhere.
Having never been to Ireland before I am unfamilure with the network and services.

I was wondering if anyone could provide outline times for the railtour or suggest where I might be able to find them?
 

I T S

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2010
Messages
576
Saturday 24TH March 2012
Dublin Connolly 09:50
Drumcondra 09:57
Clonsilla 10:10
M3 Parkway 10:22

M3 Parkway 10:50
Dunboyne 10:55 / 11:05
Clonsilla 11:12
Drumcondra 11:29
Dublin Connolly 11:35
Pearse 11:38
Dun Laoghaire 12:00
Bray 12:20
Greystones 12:29 / 12:39 (Water)
Wicklow 12:54
Rathdrum 13:07 / 13:15
Arklow 13:33
Gorey 13:46 / 14:01 (Water and cross the Up Rosslare)
Enniscorthy 14:25
Wexford 14:58 / 15:03
Rosslare Strand 15:18
Rosslare Harbour 15:25


Rosslare Harbour 16:10
Rosslare Strand 16:15 / 16:23
Wexford 16:42


Sunday 25th March 2012

Wexford 10:55
Enniscorthy 11:23 / 11:33
Gorey 11:56 / 12:09 (Water and cross the Down Rosslare)
Arklow 12:22
Rathdrum 12:40 / 12:50
Wicklow 13:06 / 13:16
Greystones 13:32 / 13:46 (Water and cross a DART arrival)
Bray 13:55
Dun Laoghaire 14:05
Pearse 14:23
Connolly 14:27
Howth Jctn 14:43
Howth 14:55

Howth 15:20
Sutton 15:24 / 15:34
Howth Jctn 15:36
Dublin Connolly 15:55


GSR 461 & Cravens will work throughout until Howth (14:58) , where it will be detached and a IE Diesel Locomotive will arrive LE from Connolly and hook onto the back of the train and work the 1520 Spl to Connolly. 461 will then follow light

Hope this helps
 

GM078

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
432
Location
Leinster
Hi I am making my first trip to Ireland which co-insides with this railtour.
Hence I hope to take an hour off and go and see it somewhere.
Having never been to Ireland before I am unfamilure with the network and services.

I was wondering if anyone could provide outline times for the railtour or suggest where I might be able to find them?

If you don't have your own transport and want to go photo it somewhere along the DSER you're probably better off getting the bus; Bus Éireann's Dublin-Rosslare service is hourly throughout the day, whereas you'll be along time waiting around if you use the equivalent rail service.

Dublin-Arklow-Gorey-Enniscorthy-Wexford-Rosslare 002 Bus timetable (note the majority of 002 services during the day don't go through Wicklow town, if visiting Wicklow during the day use the 133 service)

Dublin-Wicklow 133 Bus timetable

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/11_DublinRosslareEuroport111.pdf
 
Last edited:

Klepht01

New Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2
Thank you both that is excellent very kind of you. I am sure I shall enjoy Ireland a great deal and plan to return to travel on one of the multi-day annual railtours in the near future
 

I T S

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2010
Messages
576
GM078 - Maybe you will you know? How many tickets are left for this trip?
 

Thewanderer

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2007
Messages
1,452
Location
Ireland
Good evening all,

Now that I have had a good nights sleep after a great weekend in Wexford I have uploaded 62 photos of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland's "The Spare Link" Railtour to M3 Parkway, Wexford and the return to Howth of a Steam Train since 1981.

On a by note as there is no run round loop in Howth, Loco 217 hauled the train back from Howth to Connolly becoming the first 201 passenger working on the branch. Loco 228 was the first 201 class loco on the branch running Light Engine earlier last week to pass out drivers on the Howth Branch for the tour.

Pictures from the two day tour: http://smu.gs/GVcT5R

Enjoy!
The Wanderer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top