• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routes that previously had catering trolleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route115?

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2021
Messages
376
Location
Ruislip
Gatwick Express certainly had them in the late 80s.

I vaguely remember Travellers Fare station division putting a trolley on a Charing X to Dover service in 1985 - I worked on the management team at the time. I'm not sure how long it lasted for.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
A catering trolley service of hot & cold drinks and snacks was provided on certain services on the Southport - Stockport (and beyond) route by Regional Railways I can remember during the the first half of the 1990s, this was frequently operated by class 142 railbuses too!
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,183
I vaguely remember Travellers Fare station division putting a trolley on a Charing X to Dover service in 1985 - I worked on the management team at the time. I'm not sure how long it lasted for.
Indeed, as mentioned in entry #18 of this now closed thread from 2020 on the withdrawal of buffet cars on the South Eastern Division: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ng-before-the-central-division-did-so.208322/

It sounds as if it didn't last long, although by the early 1990s under Network SouthEast, most fast Kent Coast trains seemed to have them. I think the OP is mainly concerned with the post-privatisation era, though.
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,359
My first job on the railway was as a catering steward for Wessex Trains/Wales and Borders, all of the long distance Alphaline services had catering, but our diagrams also included a lot of infill work like Exmouth to Paignton which we never actually bothered doing.
 

warwickshire

On Moderation
Joined
6 Feb 2020
Messages
2,304
Location
leamingtonspa
Thames Trains and First Great Western Link, had them on the Turbos on the London Paddington to Stratford upon Avon services throughout upto and including December 2004, prior to Chiltern Railways taking over which then had nothing.

Even the through services to Bicester Town had them as well from London Paddington.

Oxford to London Paddington turbo services had them as well.

Notably Oxford in Thames Trains and First Great Western link Days, had a large rail catering, depot their, more than sure it was Rail Gourmet
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Another route that previously had catering from 2002 until around 2006 was Norwich-Cambridge under Anglia Railways and NXEA. All but the last two services in each directions on Mondays to Saturdays offered a trolley service.

Fast forward almost 20 years and it’s going to be trialled for three months on selected services on the route (now most run through to Stansted Airport) to see if it’s worthwhile. It wont be advertised in advance as will be covered by spare or staff volunteering to cover.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,359
Location
Yorkshire
Similar to the Settle & Carlisle trolley service provided by volunteers, the Penistone line music trains also had refreshments provided by volunteers. Usually from a static trolley in the opposite end of the 144 to where the band was.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Although Stansted Express had catering until around 10 or so years ago it was never staffed or operated by NXEA or GA unlike the Norwich- London Liverpool St & Norwich-Cambridge routes which were both operated in house by the on board catering department.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
I wonder when was the last time any of the routes currently operated by Northern had trolleys? (Settle & Carlisle excepted, of course; the current trolley being operated by volunteers).

A 13-year-old boy asked me if there was a trolley on the Northern service via Harrogate last week; I suspect that service has never had one!

I'm sure I remember a trolley turning up on the Whitby train one Saturday. Must have been experimental as I only encountered it on one occasion (may have been run by the people running Middlesbrough buffet at the time).

From what I can find, the Bentham line had a trolley trial (planned) for twelve Fridays and Saturdays last summer, presumably under the same basis as the Settle & Carlisle one.

Sorry (and a bit surprised) I missed that.
 

gaillark

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2013
Messages
240
St. Pancras to Bedford (class 317's) [BedPan] had them in Network SouthEast days.
The trolley operation was based from Luton and operated by Traksnak.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,662
So are TfW the last TOC to still be using trolleys?

Off the mainline, the Ffestiniog seems to have given up with trolleys, but still using them on the Welsh Highland.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,384
Location
Yorks
St. Pancras to Bedford (class 317's) [BedPan] had them in Network SouthEast days.
The trolley operation was based from Luton and operated by Traksnak.

I can imagine that could be quite popular even today. It's quite long with all the stops.
 

Ostrich

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2010
Messages
295


South Western Railway had catering until January 2021 on the following trains:

• London Waterloo to Bristol Temple Meads / Exeter Saint Davids / Salisbury trains (onboard between London Waterloo and Salisbury only)




I seem to recall catering trollies west of Salisbury, at least as far as Axminster, but happy to be corrected.
 

CHESHIRECAT

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
294
I was steward on Gatex 1985; did 4 r/t a day!
Very rewarding ;) 999 iykyk !

Management also sent one trolley down to Ramsgate and we night stopped and brought one back in morning!
 

WAB

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2015
Messages
1,299
Location
Anglia
Off the mainline, the Ffestiniog seems to have given up with trolleys, but still using them on the Welsh Highland.
The narrower profile of the Ffestiniog coaches meant that table service was generally preferred to avoid damage to the carriages. Trolleys did briefly appear in the 70s and the 90s, and again during Covid, but have never really stuck around.
 

EYFanatic

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2025
Messages
656
Location
Hell's Dungeon
When what was then First Transpennine Express operated some Hull-Scarborough services, a trolley service was provided but it didn't last long - maybe about three months so I presume a trial

I am sure others will correct me, but didn't the loco hauled club trains in and out of Blackpool from Manchester and Southport have a trolley service?
 

Highlander1

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2025
Messages
179
Location
Inverness
Its odd - I assumed they'd all been withdrawn, but then a few weeks ago a random trolley came through (well, it had a staff member with it) - no sales, and a few people staring as if they'd seen a unicorn. And since that day, I have never seen one again.
Queen St to Waverley used to be common. Catering crews would do a triangle route from Aberdeen/Inverness down to Glasgow, across to Edinburgh and back North again with Glasgow/Edinburgh crews filling in the gaps. That's all stopped now.
If there's a spare member of hospitality staff in Glasgow or Edinburgh they are often sent out on normally uncovered services such as Glasgow to Edinburgh Express or on a Glasgow to Dundee stopping service.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The trolly service seems to be a 50/50 on the InterCity services. Rarer in the earlier morning in my experience.
Transport Scotland mandate which Intercity trains should be covered. It's generally trains that start their journey between 8am and 5pm.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If you catch one ... hit and miss
Most daytime Intercity services have them
 
Last edited:

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,547
Southeastern had catering until December 2010 on the following trains:

• London Bridge / London Cannon Street / London Charing Cross / London Victoria to Hastings trains (onboard for the entire route)
I was on a Southeastern Charing Cross to Hastings train last Tuesday when an announcement was made about a catering trolley passing through.

I suspect that the guard had intended to trigger a generic announcement about keeping aisles clear of luggage but picked the wrong code.
 

Class999999

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2023
Messages
18
Location
London
I was on a Southeastern Charing Cross to Hastings train last Tuesday when an announcement was made about a catering trolley passing through.

I suspect that the guard had intended to trigger a generic announcement about keeping aisles clear of luggage but picked the wrong code.
Sometimes the driver / guard does this as a windup to each other on emptier trains
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top