• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing within Central London on SWR advertised ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

blobbl

New Member
Joined
16 Dec 2024
Messages
3
Location
UK
I need to make the following journey one way, all on the same day.

Firstly I will go from Southampton Airport Parkway to Waterloo. I will do my business in central London, then I will make my own way to Blackfriars to take the Thameslink service to Brent Cross West.

I can book an Anytime Day Single advertised through my SWR app between Southampton Airport Parkway and Brent Cross West, via Blackfriars.

I would like to do it because it saves money versus buying a single for each journey separately.

The advertised ticket routes SOA-WAT, then WAT-Tottenham Court Road (Underground), then Tottenham Court Road-Farringdon (Elizabeth line), then ZFR-BCZ. I can't see where this passes Blackfriars although I put it in the via option.

If I book this ticket will I be able to use it in the way I intend? Will I be able to pass the barrier between street and Thameslink platform at Blackfriars?

Cross-London travel is new to me so I would appreciate any assistance!

Thank you.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
The ticket is undoubtedly valid: you can generate an itinerary by putting via London Bridge in a planner, and there is nothing to stop you walking as you propose.

Technical stuff: the ticket allows you to travel to any legitimate London Terminal, which includes London Bridge, Blackfriars (and City Thameslink) and use any cross-London rail route (yours is the most convenient even if possibly not the fastest).
 

drueberflug

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2025
Messages
153
Location
Germany
If I book this ticket will I be able to use it in the way I intend? Will I be able to pass the barrier between street and Thameslink platform at Blackfriars?

Cross-London travel is new to me so I would appreciate any assistance!
The app will probably (and correctly) force you to collect your ticket at a ticket machine or a ticket office before travelling.
If you do get the option to receive the ticket as an e-ticket, you should choose to collect the ticket at a ticket machine instead.
This is because e-tickets won't work the automated barriers on London Underground, London Overground and some Elizabeth line-managed stations.

Also, unless you are getting some kind of special discount via SWR, please consider buying your train ticket here to support the forum.
I have queried a connection for SOA-BFR-BCZ for next Saturday there (click) and disabled split-ticketing for you.1745349175254.png

Just as a reminder: your ticket type allows "any permitted route", and getting from SOA to London takes about the same time as when going via Reading, so you may want to consider alternative routes depending on where you want to go in Central London.
 
Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,049
Location
Crewe
Using the forums ticketing site may save you some money, as it will split your tickets on the way into London Waterloo based on the stopping pattern of the SWR service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top