• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Point - Kirk Sandal to Wakefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapknight

New Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2
Hi,

I've been trying to get my head round the Routeing Points - I'm not particularly au fait with train timetabling, the routeing maps etc and I don't want to ask at a station as they'll probably try and get the most money out of me!

So here is my problem;

I have a monthly season ticket travelling from Kirk Sandal to Wakefield.
As I understand this covers Barnetby Doncaster Goole Routeing points?

However, sometimes I will want to travel to go Wakefield - Meadowhall or Sheffield - back to Kirk Sandal

Using the Barnetby - Wakefield route, I can use maps MM+PS or PN.
Using maps MM+PS I can get to Sheffield - which can go straigh to Wakefield on. But as its a MM+PS do I have to use the PS, which would mean going back to Doncaster (which is doubling back?)

That probably makes no sense to you experts! But please can someone help me so I can go shopping and not have to pay anything - if much more on rail tickets!

Thanks :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
Well, you're nearly there, but I am afraid this one isn't going to work!

you can't use all the routeing points - you need to check which ones have a lower single fare to Wakfield than from Kirk Sandall. (The 'Fares check' rule, in the routeing guide).

In your case, all the routeing points are more expensive, so you can't use any of them. You can only use the shortest route, routes within 3 miles of the shortest route, or direct trains.

(for information, IF you could use MM + PS, then you would be able to use PS from Doncaster to Meadowhall, then MM from Meadowhall to Wakefield. You couldn't go via Sheffield as you would have to double-back through Meadowhall )
 

Sapknight

New Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2
Hiya thanks for replying to me.

On my monthly ticket it says 'Any Permitted'. Is the route you suggested a permitted route? As I thought I could use any permitted route...? i'm still confused! lol

I refer to this part of the National Routeing Guide...

If a choice of routes is available and the fare for the
journey is described as "Any Permitted" route or is unrouted, you are free to
choose any of the routes listed in the Guide.


As Kirk Sandal is listed in the pink list as Barnetby, then the Barnety to Wakefield yellow list is MM+PS PN, I can use either of these routes. So I've managed to find a route using the maps MM+PS - so why can't I use that? As my ticket is any route permitted and the MM+PS is a permitted route...?

Any clearer?
 
Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
The permitted routes are only those that the routeing guide says are permitted.

For your journey, the only permitted routes are the shortest route (and within 3 miles of shortest) and direct trains.

You can use 'any' of these routes, but you can't use any other routes, as they are not permitted.

you are free to choose any of the routes listed in the Guide.
You need to actually read the instructions that come with the guide, you can't just look at the tables.
See 'Step 4' in the intructions, that tells you why you can't use routes from Barnetby. (It's usually called the 'Fares check' rule)

MM+PS - so why can't I use that? As my ticket is any route permitted and the MM+PS is a permitted route...?
MM+PS gives permitted route from Barnetby (and some other stations) to Wakefield, but not from Kirk Sandal to Wakefield.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top