• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Query on Dalesman Diesel / Steam Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Good morning,

All being well I shall be going on the WCR Dalesman Diesel & Steam Train from York to Carlisle and I was wondering if the train will reverse at Leeds,? the calling points are; York, Normanton, Wakefield Kirkgate & Westgate, Leeds, then along the Aire Valley towards Settle & Carlisle.

I presume that this will mean that the train will enter Leeds by the Western/Aire Valley end ? which is the same direction as it will leave. I don't think there is a way for trains coming from the Wakefield Westgate direction of entering Leeds by the other, eastern, end of the station?

When I have done similar trips using the RTC Waverley train, it has come from York to Leeds a different way, via Garforth, so can proceed towards Settle etc without a reversal.

I was just curious, I have a Backwards seat from York, I presume if it does reverse, this will become a forward seat from Leeds, although rather confusing for the passengers who join at Leeds, Keighley and Skipton.

Tks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
It's T'n'T `diesel on all apart from York - Carlisle - York.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Thank you for clarifying this.

Does anyone know what steam loco may be hauling the train on 02 July, Hellifield/Carlisle/Hellifield. It's not on the UK Steam site yet although times are shown when you click on the little dot thingy.?
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Good morning,

All being well I shall be going on the WCR Dalesman Diesel & Steam Train from York to Carlisle and I was wondering if the train will reverse at Leeds,? the calling points are; York, Normanton, Wakefield Kirkgate & Westgate, Leeds, then along the Aire Valley towards Settle & Carlisle.

I presume that this will mean that the train will enter Leeds by the Western/Aire Valley end ? which is the same direction as it will leave. I don't think there is a way for trains coming from the Wakefield Westgate direction of entering Leeds by the other, eastern, end of the station?

When I have done similar trips using the RTC Waverley train, it has come from York to Leeds a different way, via Garforth, so can proceed towards Settle etc without a reversal.

I was just curious, I have a Backwards seat from York, I presume if it does reverse, this will become a forward seat from Leeds, although rather confusing for the passengers who join at Leeds, Keighley and Skipton.

Tks.

It sounds like much of the route the Scarbourough Spa trains take to Leeds. When I went on the Waverley a few years it ran direct from York to Leeds both ways. It was a really good day out with steam all the way.
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Thank you for clarifying this.

Does anyone know what steam loco may be hauling the train on 02 July, Hellifield/Carlisle/Hellifield. It's not on the UK Steam site yet although times are shown when you click on the little dot thingy.?

With WCRC it is not always known until the loco actually leaves the depot on the morning, previous trains have been billed behind every loco in their fleet in the days before actual running.

I'm guessing they won't announce it in advance on a general tour like this, so they can change the engine if required without people complaining.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Probably an idea to see what works on the Dalesman tomorrow (30th June) and Fellsman (1st July) - I'd suspect it'll be one of those locos.
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
My personal guess is either Royal Scot or Leander. Not sure whether 48151 can keep to the timings being limited to 50mph on NR.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Well I did travel on 02 July on the Dalesman from York to Carlisle, it was a very good day out and the loco was Galatea.

I was very pleased that it did run, I had been concerned that it may not have done, or that it may have been diesel for the whole trip in view of the recent and ongoing very hot weather, I was worried that they may have been a steam ban owing to fire risk etc, but in that area all was well.

The train itself was not at all busy, not sure why, but there are quite alot of steam trips over the S&C, hope it picks up for them as the season progresses.

There was very good running throughout the day and timings were very good throughout.

It was good too, that the diesels were removed at the back as well as obviously the front if of the train, it looks better that way, it was also good that the livery of the loco matched the carriages which apart from one, were all LMS/LMR Maroon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top