• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route planning help - is it possible for the quicker route not to be valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skifans

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
249
Location
Leeds
Hi,
I was planning to travel from Clapham (North Yorkshire) to Sheffield on Sunday the 19th of June. I have already bought an anytime ticket (any permitted) for this with the original intention of catching the 15:26 to Leeds and then the 17:11 to Sheffield (as suggested by the National rail) and reserved seats and bikes for the second leg (first leg is with Northern) with a Two Together railcard.

However, it now appears that I will probably need to leave latter (I know the reservations are no longer valid) however, the next option on National rail is leaving Clapham at 18:37, also running via Leeds and reaching Sheffield for 20:51.

There is though a faster route possible with Id prefer, getting the 16:10 from Clapham to Lancaster, after a 40 minuet wait get board the 17:27 to Manchester Oxford road and then 16 minuets latter boarding the 18:39 to Sheffield, reaching there for 19:35 - reaching Sheffield around an hour and 20 minuets before the departure offered by National rail.

So, is the anytime ticket I already have valid - id suspect (but haven't been able to work out a way to confirm) that is well outside of the 3 miles allowed from the shortest route. If its not, is it possible to buy some sort of excess ticket on the train as it wont be possible to buy it from the station?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
First things first - A warm welcome to the forum.

I've just had a quick test on the GWR website, and have tried inputting both "Manchester" and then Lancaster (assuming this is what you meant, rather than Leicester) in the "Via" field. Both have come up with no fares available.

I would have imagined that Clapham Yorkshire - Lancaster - Preston - Blackburn - Hebden Bridge - etc would have come up, hence the reason for trying "via Lancaster" but to no avail. Perhaps there is no mapped route, or most likely, it is greater than 3 miles of the shortest route.

I've looked at the timetable, and found a 16:34 departure from Settle and arriving Sheffield at 18:51, changing at Leeds, if it is at all possible for you to make your way to Settle. I believe that Giggleswick and Settle stations are interchangeable on a ticket to either station, but don't quote me on this. Perhaps somebody local can confirm if that is the case or not?

Apologies that I have not come up with anything better - perhaps somebody who is an expert with the Routeing Guide may be able to assist further. It does not help when ATOC keep on chopping and changing the RG on a whim almost every Thursday or Friday.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,729
Location
Scotland
I thought this might have an answer by now. It doesn't look to me like that route is allowed.

If you use the Routing Point Calculator it says that your journey is a mapped journey from Long Preston to Sheffield.

Going to the yellow pages it says to look at map MM.

Looking at the maps, you can see that Manchester isn't on the mapped route, so I would say that it's not allowed.

No doubt, someone will be along shortly to tell me I got it all wrong! :)

Edit: It did have an answer!
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I thought this might have an answer by now. It doesn't look to me like that route is allowed.

If you use the Routing Point Calculator it says that your journey is a mapped journey from Long Preston to Sheffield.

Going to the yellow pages it says to look at map MM.

Looking at the maps, you can see that Manchester isn't on the mapped route, so I would say that it's not allowed.

No doubt, someone will be along shortly to tell me I got it all wrong! :)

Edit: It did have an answer!

I could only say you were wrong on a technicality, the Appropriate Routeing Point being Hellifield Group rather than Long Preston.
 

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
1,591
What is the exact ticket type that you already have?

I think that a Wennington to Sheffield ticket would be valid via Lancaster and Manchester, so you could try to buy an excess fare to change your Clapham to Sheffield ticket into a Wennington to Sheffield ticket, although getting an over-distance excess issued for the origin, rather than the destination, may be a problem. If successful, you would also need to buy a Clapham to Wennington single.

Giggleswick and Settle stations are indeed interchangeable, so travelling from Settle on your current ticket may be an easier and less costly option.
 
Last edited:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
1,591
Only as named ticket origin or destination.

I have broken my journey at Giggleswick and resumed it at Settle without any questions asked. There is also a local agreement that the station pairs Clapham/Horton in Ribblesdale and Bentham/Ribblehead are also interchangeable (providing that if there is a difference in fares then the higher fare is bought).
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,317
Location
Bolton
Only as named ticket origin or destination.

I would imagine that there is a good chance that the guard would be willing to honour the ticket on this occasion if approached on the platform at Settle. Even if they weren't it would just be a single to the next call to pay.
 

skifans

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
249
Location
Leeds
Wow, alot of responses - thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for your help.

Its a shame that the routing via Manchester isn't possible, we are going days cycle ride (from Kendel) and it appears that it would take a minimum of an extra hour to get from Clapham to Settle which negates the latter departure. Just in case though, does anyone know weather or not you can start an anytime ticker after the destination (ie. At Settle instead of Clapham). Or more likely - does anyone know of any good pubs in the Clapham area? I have though noticed that if I go one station towards Lancaster (Bentham) then the route via Lancaster does become valid accord to what najaB (Thank you) posted. Is it possible to buy some sort of add on (I dont realy understand the gide on excess tickets - is this what they are for) or change the anytime ticket to Bentham -> Sheffield and then buy a single from Clapham -> Bentham (Or get on a Bentham). Is that practical/possible or are the tickets final?

Thanks again everyone
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
Clapham village (which is miles away from the station!) to Settle is about 6.5m by the shortest route and Googlemaps says 40min.

As Starmill says, your ticket will probably be accepted from Settle, but ask when you board!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top