In a few weeks I'm off to Romania (by train of course!). We'll ignore the 25%-30% fare "increase" courtesy of the ongoing Brexit farce and the plunging GBP (
), and instead I want to ask about Romanian domestic trains.
I found this from four years ago which is reassuring and useful - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/romania-advice.103719/
Questions:
* If I book online on the CFR website, do I *have* to print the ticket? The website is saying you should, but it also uses very poor English, so that may just be a translation issue. Will I be ok with just the ticket number (I have no smartphone to show the ticket)?
* Is it true that you have to book almost all trains online because stations only sell some tickets, and only for trains within the next two hours?
* Are the domestic sleepers any good? The country seems riddled with them (oh to have more and cheaper sleepers in the UK) - https://rail.cc/en/night-train/romania/ro
* Assuming I plan on doing a fair amount of train travel - say 3-5 domestic sleepers, and a bunch of day trips, are there any ticket-deals that work like the rovers here? I can see some on their website but it's not really clear what the differences are. I note they don't give discounts for sleeper/couchette supplements anyway (or the ~£1 "reservation fee").
* Are there any maps anywhere that show which routes are operated by CFR and which are private?
Any other tips/suggestions welcome!
Thanks
I found this from four years ago which is reassuring and useful - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/romania-advice.103719/
Questions:
* If I book online on the CFR website, do I *have* to print the ticket? The website is saying you should, but it also uses very poor English, so that may just be a translation issue. Will I be ok with just the ticket number (I have no smartphone to show the ticket)?
* Is it true that you have to book almost all trains online because stations only sell some tickets, and only for trains within the next two hours?
* Are the domestic sleepers any good? The country seems riddled with them (oh to have more and cheaper sleepers in the UK) - https://rail.cc/en/night-train/romania/ro
* Assuming I plan on doing a fair amount of train travel - say 3-5 domestic sleepers, and a bunch of day trips, are there any ticket-deals that work like the rovers here? I can see some on their website but it's not really clear what the differences are. I note they don't give discounts for sleeper/couchette supplements anyway (or the ~£1 "reservation fee").
* Are there any maps anywhere that show which routes are operated by CFR and which are private?
Any other tips/suggestions welcome!
Thanks