• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock that you regret not riding

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriff500

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
61
Must be an unrefurbished C69/77 Stock, I’ve got to know, was it really that bad? I was always told to wait for an A stock going from Liverpool Street to Baker Street than ‘endure’ a C Stock. Also maybe the 1956 tube stock.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
Yes, I'd have quite liked to have given the APT a spin, come to think of it.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,341
Location
Herts
Must be an unrefurbished C69/77 Stock, I’ve got to know, was it really that bad? I was always told to wait for an A stock going from Liverpool Street to Baker Street than ‘endure’ a C Stock. Also maybe the 1956 tube stock.

Wise move , the C stock were horrible - lived in Wimbledon from 1982 and they were what you got on the Edgware Rd services - cold , grey , bleak , rough riders with serious jerks when they motored. Internal cold and uninviting -(to quote the Jam) especially on a dark evening. Made far worse by graffiti vandalism which LT at the time just could not cope with.

Refurbishment made them a bit better - 5585 was the first one. When the last one ran , was suggested to go on it - no chance. People movers yes on the Circle etc in zone 1 , - but unloved.
n
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,341
Location
Herts
The A stock - even in the graff era - were equally bleak - but had comfy , well sprung seats.
 

MrGriff500

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
61
Wise move , the C stock were horrible - lived in Wimbledon from 1982 and they were what you got on the Edgware Rd services - cold , grey , bleak , rough riders with serious jerks when they motored. Internal cold and uninviting -(to quote the Jam) especially on a dark evening. Made far worse by graffiti vandalism which LT at the time just could not cope with.

Refurbishment made them a bit better - 5585 was the first one. When the last one ran , was suggested to go on it - no chance. People movers yes on the Circle etc in zone 1 , - but unloved.
n

It’s a bit sad really, they had so much potential seeing as they were like the 1967 stock, even adding wrap around cab windows would make a massive improvement! The only thing I liked about them was the motor sound. Gee were they noisy! I recalled riding 5585, but no other cars prior to refurb. Oh and one other type of train, I wanted to ride a 1983 stock. I wanted to see if they live up to their dreadful reputation. Any experience of them?
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,341
Location
Herts
It’s a bit sad really, they had so much potential seeing as they were like the 1967 stock, even adding wrap around cab windows would make a massive improvement! The only thing I liked about them was the motor sound. Gee were they noisy! I recalled riding 5585, but no other cars prior to refurb. Oh and one other type of train, I wanted to ride a 1983 stock. I wanted to see if they live up to their dreadful reputation. Any experience of them?


Yes - OK to ride in , but had a terrible reputation for reliability , the joke was they could find their way home to Neasden Depot by following the parts they had dropped off / lost on the way south. The movement of the first ones south to LT - were stabled for about 2 hours in Aylesbury , and even before mobiles the local graffiti gangs picked this up and tagged them badly. Cue to LT staff greeting their brand new trains already desecrated. BR had to pay for the heavy cleaning and later security in transit (at the time as a BR Manager , one of my jobs was moving LT stock around)

In regards to the 56 stock - there were 3 I think on the Northern - only an expert like me (see above regarding moving tube stock around) , could recognise them - they were as filthy as the rest of the fleet. And I mean filthy , internally and externally.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,341
Location
Herts
It’s a bit sad really, they had so much potential seeing as they were like the 1967 stock, even adding wrap around cab windows would make a massive improvement! The only thing I liked about them was the motor sound. Gee were they noisy! I recalled riding 5585, but no other cars prior to refurb. Oh and one other type of train, I wanted to ride a 1983 stock. I wanted to see if they live up to their dreadful reputation. Any experience of them?

Terrible waste of space really with 6 cabs in a 6 car set. Had some cab rides under supervision , and I thought the drivers had a raw deal.
 

MrGriff500

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
61
Yes - OK to ride in , but had a terrible reputation for reliability , the joke was they could find their way home to Neasden Depot by following the parts they had dropped off / lost on the way south. The movement of the first ones south to LT - were stabled for about 2 hours in Aylesbury , and even before mobiles the local graffiti gangs picked this up and tagged them badly. Cue to LT staff greeting their brand new trains already desecrated. BR had to pay for the heavy cleaning and later security in transit (at the time as a BR Manager , one of my jobs was moving LT stock around)

In regards to the 56 stock - there were 3 I think on the Northern - only an expert like me (see above regarding moving tube stock around) , could recognise them - they were as filthy as the rest of the fleet. And I mean filthy , internally and externally.

That is quite a rep for the 1983 stock, I heard the interiors were disgustingly ugly. I do have rather fond memories of a breakdown of which I imagine happened to 1983s lots. It was on the northern in I believe the last ever 1972 stock Mk1 on that line. When there was a loud bang and we stopped. Joy of joys. I was in unit 3227 so I must assume the other unit was 3518. Mind you they were so worn out after their service. The 1983s i here were even worse. Maybe I’ll have to visit the ones out in Harpur Hill sometime. And if the joke is accurate, they won’t even be there! Or they will have dismantled themselves, useful for repairs then! An automatically disassembling train!
 

MrGriff500

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
61
One last thing it’s not that I regret not riding it but I might regret if I don’t get to ride it. I am dying to get to see the Northern Line 72TS (3229) at Aldwych, purely because it will bring back memories. The 1959s are long gone, but I always preferred the newer 72s. But I know I might not get to ride it or even see it in person as with rumors arising of Holborn platform 5 going and Aldwych being isolated for good, then 3229 has had it.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,341
Location
Herts
That is quite a rep for the 1983 stock, I heard the interiors were disgustingly ugly. I do have rather fond memories of a breakdown of which I imagine happened to 1983s lots. It was on the northern in I believe the last ever 1972 stock Mk1 on that line. When there was a loud bang and we stopped. Joy of joys. I was in unit 3227 so I must assume the other unit was 3518. Mind you they were so worn out after their service. The 1983s i here were even worse. Maybe I’ll have to visit the ones out in Harpur Hill sometime. And if the joke is accurate, they won’t even be there! Or they will have dismantled themselves, useful for repairs then! An automatically disassembling train!

A very outdated (even for the time) symphony of orange doors , lemon bulkheads and that odd orange / brown moquette.

Still , the extra capacity was very welcome.

Of course , for a short time in the late 1980's one's daily journey Waterloo - Euston on the Northern was sometimes enhanced by a nice , bright 1938 stock.
 

MrGriff500

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
61
The C stock had a buried cab in the consist ! , as well as locked shunting controls -

Hmmm... I remember a friend of mine somehow managed to get into one of these middle cabs, I don’t remember if you needed a key to open the door and if you did how on earth he got it, but he managed to. All he told me was that the whistle worked apparently!
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,279
I didn't mind the interior of the 83 stock. The yellow and orange colour scheme was of its time (and indeed they're the only deep tube trains featuring that iconic moquette), and matches the stations platforms for the 1970s Jubilee Line platforms!

The single leaf doors were a disaster though, an awful decision which ultimately is what condemned them to a short life.

4494184367_1f96db5ecb_b.jpg
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
The preserved 2BIL whilst it was still maintained on the Southern. Did travel on the preserved 4SUB travelling in tandem with it once though.

Likewise, I saw the BIL at open days several times, but never had the money or resources to travel on it (it was taken out of use in the early 90s when I was still at school and short of cash). Did ride the SUB a couple of times, though.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
My other one is the NIR 80 class DEMUs; fabulous things! I did manage the 450 class though.

Managed both of these in a trip to NI in about 2006 - made me feel all nostalgic for my days belting up and down the Uckfield line.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
At Rogart station they have some MK2 First Class compartment stock that they've converted into hostel accommodation. I think they were used on the Waterloo to Exeter services, as they still have the Eddie Pond NSE murals in place. They must have been lush to travel on, the compartments are huge!

I stayed in one a while ago, ex-Liverpool Street - Cambridge/King's Lynn vehicle I think.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
For me it would be the SR design HAPs/SAPs with a full length side corridor DTC (may have been taken on one as a child, but if so I don't remember it), Merseyrail 502s and 503s, Manchester-Hadfield/Glossop 506s (remember seeing them at Manchester Piccadilly but never went on them), Scottish Class 126 inter-city DMUs, 151s, and Mark 1 sleepers (though I have seen the inside of the one at Peak Rail from outside - probably one of the last surviving Mark 1 sleeping cars that is still largely in as-withdrawn condition internally).

Also the Class 411 CEPs in as-built condition (though I was probably taken on them a few times as a tiny tot before they were refurbished, and I can vaguely remember travelling in a compartment on an unrefurbished unit going on holiday to Margate in 1980, when I was 5).

If you're a similar age to me, and I'm guessing you are by your username, I can just about remember travelling on an SR HAP, probably in SAP guise, and it was pretty cool. I remember seeing the last surviving driving trailer at Strawberry Hill depot in the eighties - sadly it didn't survive.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Over the years I've ridden in a large amount of stock but I never kept records. I used to like the 501's with their lovely soft seats that you literally sank into.
I've not done a 442 strangely.
Being from the deep south it was nice to have my first pacer ride last year (Exmouth) but this year I went to pacer heaven and tried some Northern ones, only regret, although I saw a couple, was I never rode the bus seat interior ones.:'(

I've got a friend who loves Pacers! I've just spent a weekend with him doing Saltburn, Whitby and Bishop Auckland. We even got off a train at British Steel Redcar and got in trouble with security!
 

RichJF

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
1,202
Location
South London
One last thing it’s not that I regret not riding it but I might regret if I don’t get to ride it. I am dying to get to see the Northern Line 72TS (3229) at Aldwych, purely because it will bring back memories. The 1959s are long gone, but I always preferred the newer 72s. But I know I might not get to ride it or even see it in person as with rumors arising of Holborn platform 5 going and Aldwych being isolated for good, then 3229 has had it.

It's a gem the original unrefurbished stock.

On the top side I regret not riding an Intercity 47 with Mk 2 coaches.
Never got to ride on the EPBs or Thumpers despite living in the South East!
 

MrGriff500

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
61
I didn't mind the interior of the 83 stock. The yellow and orange colour scheme was of its time (and indeed they're the only deep tube trains featuring that iconic moquette), and matches the stations platforms for the 1970s Jubilee Line platforms!

The single leaf doors were a disaster though, an awful decision which ultimately is what condemned them to a short life.

4494184367_1f96db5ecb_b.jpg

The 1983 stock interior had potential, if they replaced that mustard yellow with the color (oatmeal is what I’ve heard people call it) from the D Stock, it would’ve been much better, also is there any left aside from the one at the LTM, Broad Street Viaduct and Great Ormond Street Hospital?
 

MrGriff500

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
61
It's a gem the original unrefurbished stock.

Indeed it is, we must all work hard to preserve it to remember the former Misery Line, it turns out the 59s aren’t all gone, Mangapps Museum have 2, the Morden one is now at the Epping Ongar Railway and Isle of Alderney too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top