• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock / shunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis12

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2015
Messages
5
Hello all, new to the forum!

I'm currently working as a car mechanic with some HGV experience, so fairly decent engineering experience.

I've become more interested in getting involved in the rail industry.

I recently saw a job advertised with freightliner for a technician B working between ipswich and Felixstowe. I assume this was carrying out running maintenance and inspections of passing trains. I'm also interested in a shunting based role but preferably something technical.

Anyone kind enough to share any information on what it's like to get into a traction / rolling stock mechanical based role? Does my current experience help?

Any help hugely appreciated!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Timpg

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2014
Messages
303
Location
Ipswich
Hello all, new to the forum!

I'm currently working as a car mechanic with some HGV experience, so fairly decent engineering experience.

I've become more interested in getting involved in the rail industry.

I recently saw a job advertised with freightliner for a technician B working between ipswich and Felixstowe. I assume this was carrying out running maintenance and inspections of passing trains. I'm also interested in a shunting based role but preferably something technical.

Anyone kind enough to share any information on what it's like to get into a traction / rolling stock mechanical based role? Does my current experience help?

Any help hugely appreciated!!

Hi Lewis welcome to the forum
I'm not 100% sure of the exact job description, as previous tech b positions have purely been solely based at Felixstowe. A Felixstowe tech b's role is to examine trains upon arrival on one of the three terminals on the port, then examine the train looking for defects to determine wether the wagons are fit for travel on the branch/mainline. Also you will be responsible for small running repairs. Shunting on the other hand, you are responsible for arriving trains on the terminals, remarshalling wagons from one line to another etc, shunting defective wagons out of trains, and performing pre departure exams.
In regards to previous experience, I wouldn't worry to much about being a degree qualified genius engineer, a background in mechanics or engineer would suffice, or just being engineering savvy and have a bit of common sense.
There's always something different day to day going on and is a lot going on to keep you occupied. I'm a shunter there and can honestly say I really enjoy it. It's not for everyone, but it's worth a go.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I forgot to mention, all training is provided.
 

Lewis12

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2015
Messages
5
Hey timpb. Thanks for the info :)

Both roles sound like something I'd really enjoy, but especially the tech B role.

I'm glad training is provided as I was worried about potentially finding other rolling stock experience especially living in ipswich.

I guess it's just down to keeping my eye on the freightliner website and see what pops up.

Thanks again. Good to hear from someone local on this!
 

Timpg

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2014
Messages
303
Location
Ipswich
No problem mate. Funnily enough, I originally came on here for advise, just like you, before I started with the company. Can honestly say I haven't looked back, don't get me wrong, doing long hours can be tedious, but if you want to earn some good money, the overtimes usually their!
Yes keep an eye out on their website, there will surely soon be something come up, that you may be interested in.
All the best mate
 

Lewis12

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2015
Messages
5
Thanks once again. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their website.

I appreciate you're not a career advisor! But do you have any CV or interview tips, as a man on the inside?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In addition to the original post, anyone know how frequently freightliner hire for the ipswich / Felixstowe areas?
 

Timpg

Member
Joined
30 Jan 2014
Messages
303
Location
Ipswich
Hi mate
In regards to interview tips. Just dress smart, ask questions, show great interest in the running of the business and in particular the terminals. research about the company. We are big on safety, so keep that in mind as well! Unfortunately, they only really hire when their is a gap in the roster. When someone leaves/ gets promoted etc. all I can suggest is keep an eye out on the site, in the last year, there has been a lot of shuffling about creating quite a few vacancies. Maybe you could get a cv in to either Felixstowe or Ipswich, get your name out there for future reference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top