• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rob's Rovers, Rangers and Rants

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Saturday 10th June
Not sure how little and often is panning out.

Ticket : Kiveton Park to Derby @ £11.50
Parking : Kiveton Park FREE

I boarded the 1223 Service towards Adwick as far as Sheffield. I purchased my ticket at Sheffield as whilst the guard did go down the train in between stops, and i was stood right at the back he said he would come back to me as he was still collecting fares from Worksop passengers. He never got around to selling me a ticket but i guess with a single being a mere 10p cheaper than a return and most people making a return journey he can be sure most people will pay their way. I'm not sure if all the machines in Sheffield are the same but the one out by the tram stop / platform 8 end is the one i tend to use as i have never had to queue and it does tickets from other origins / tickets for future travel etc.
I boarded the 1305 Northern service to Nottingham, (It's valid that way), the service was full but I managed a fold down seat right at the front.
A quick step out onto the platform at Ilkeston was required so this was the ideal opportunity. I have been to the station before but only to look at it on my way past in the car, and that doesn't really count.
At Nottingham i had my usual wander for a little while before i pushed the boundaries of my ticket and did a trip to Derby via East Midlands parkway, for a short hop on an EMT HST and a run back on a Sheffield bound EMT 222 to Derby. Very little going on at Derby, although i saw a network rail class 73 and a 31 in the Yard, along with a rake of GWR Mk 3 coaches. Back i went the same way, change at East Midlands Parkway for the next HST service back into Nottingham.

I was feeling a bit rough and very tired so decided enough was enough for the day. I tried to work out which was the quickest permitted (or almost permitted) way back to Kiveton park, and worked out that it was quicker to go Back to Sheffield and across than up to Worksop and across due to the connection time at Worksop being just shy of a lunar month. So i then boarded the 1644 Liverpool Lime street service from Platform 7 Which would get me to Sheffield for a valid connection to Kiveton park on the 1744. This is where (as i briefly mentioned yesterday) it all went wrong. The train left Nottingham and then returned, they tried decoupling and recouping it and said that it had fixed the problem. Upon leaving Nottingham for the second time the guard said "this seems better now". Unfortunately as soon as the train hit a certain speed there would be a brake application and we would come to a complete stop. This meant crawling all the way losing even more time as we went. We were throwin into a loop i think at Codnor, for the Northern Leeds service to pass, we were told the service was terminating at Chesterfield, which made sense, it could go into P3 and not block the main line as it would cause chaos going 30mph all the way to Sheffield and there are 5tph Chesterfield to Sheffield. we crawled through until Alfreton where i suggested to a couple of women that they might want to consider changing there instead of Chesterfield as they'd be able to catch the next Liverpool service that was only 10 minutes behind and they'd have more chance of getting a seat than when a double 158 nearly full of people tries to get onto a double 158 likely nearly full of people, as it was they decided not to do that as "it'll be fine" However a young couple overheard and took my advice. At Chesterfield there were frequent announcements and staff on hand to help people get to platform 1, all very good. The next north bound service WAS the next Liverpool service and the platform was full. I was already an hour later than i wanted to be and wasn't feeling brilliant, i didn't want to risk a +3 connection by holding back to the London to Sheffield service that was due in a few minutes behind and risk missing the next Worksop bound train too as that would put me 2 hours down and I'd not really be able to claim delay repay on 2 hours if they Norwich service gets in on time as that would give me a 7 minute connection which is the minimum at Sheffield so i had to board that one to get me home. It turned up, 3L (not a great start) Shortformed (not good at all) and already with a handful of Standees. We did manage to get on, a few stayed to get the next one that was already showing as delayed (likely waiting a couple of blocks outside the station). We made it to Sheffield but despite my best efforts i didn't make the 1844, a platform 8A from a full and standing 158 with 100 more people on the platform getting in the way to 3B which is essentially 50m further than 3A in 3 minutes is a push, it wasn't happening for me. The 1949 it was after a sit down at Sheffield. A busier one than the 1844, i had to stand all the way to Kiveton park.
125L in total. I was ready for bed when i got home, I was worried i was over doing it a bit.

For reference, not a single ticket check the entire day. 9 trains.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Interesting conversation indeed!

There does seem to be a lot of problems connecting 14X units at Sheffield, I've seen it happen in a rather comical scene before. Although I doubt it is funny if you're on the said units.

Not fun for them at all, Luckily i was on the Leeds Fast service behind which was a 158 but we were stuck behind this set of dancing pacers for over 20 minutes, if i had known i would have go the Glasgow service.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Sunday 11th June

Ticket : Whitwell to London Terminals, Super off peak any permitted @ £77.40
Parking : Retford on the street, FREE, it is Sunday.

This was a spur of the moment thing, it is an expensive ticket for just a couple of hours in London but i wanted to do it, it is my second home when i am well enough to work and i havne't been since Mid March. I had no plans, other than to catch the 1051 and see what happened.
There are engineering works in the Wakefield area today, and as at Weekends it's the Leeds slow services that stop at Retford not the York ones, well, some of them, not all of them, imagine that if there was more than 1tp2h each way from Retford on the ECML so trains are going out via Neville Hill / Garforth etc and as such the ones that started there are in reverse formation. This causes unnecessary commotion on the platforms, even with a lightly reserved service as they seem to book seats (when people don't choose their own) from B and M so everyone has the furthest distance to walk. Imagine if there was a small yellow letter on the marker boards for coaches that a showed what coach would stop there in reverse formation and an announcement could be made to read the yellow letter instead. That idea has probably just saved VTEC 20,000 delay minutes.
It was an HST, is there a bit on that diversion that isn't under the wires as every Leeds service today has been an HST. And wasn't too full, i got a table of 4 to myself.
Rather than go all the way to King's Cross i decided to hold back at Newark for the service that came from Newcastle, the 1119 i think. This is one that would start at Edinburgh if the line was open on a Sunday morning i think (correct me if i am wrong). A ride down to Peterborough pushed by 91104 (i thought I'd get a number in to keep some people interested, I'm not sure how I remember it), some random photos of a great pile of 66s just north of Peterborough where i got off to hold back and get on the next VTEC service down to Kings cross. This one was another one ex Newcastle, another HST, Which was actually quite full. I managed a rear facing seat for a bit then decided to stand by the door for. Better view.
At King's Cross i noticed 67024 poised ready to leap into action should it be required. I only noticed it was 024 because i notice it at Doncaster the other day. I had a walk to St Pancras, Thameslink platforms are closed today, so Thameslink northbound trains are using Platform 1. Its rather chaotic on the EMT platforms with them trying an assortment of barrier type affairs to segregate people for Thameslink and people for EMT, and trying to force people to tap Oyster cards on the readers. All rather amusing.. I walked to Euston to have a wander there, and had a game of "see if the VT staff are looking at tickets as you walk past" game. They were checking tickets entering platform ....i want to say 7... So i showed her my London Terminals to Whitwell ticket and she said thank you. It has never been valid from Euston as far as i know and can remember. I can't even think of a route that you might even mistake it for being permitted on. Sheffield to London isn't really permitted (as discussed in another topic let alone somewhere East of there. I didn't get on a train of course, just had a look. I wandered around to the LO platform 9 and decided that whilst it was lazy I would get a Victoria line back to King's Cross to go home as i fancied a ride on the tube. I had planned on going to lunch somewhere that i quite like but found out on the way down it had closed down (poor profit levels rather than them poisoning people or anything like that) so even that was off the cards. I caught the 1430 Edinburgh service to Peterborough then the EMT Liverpool service to Grantham, then another VTEC Leeds service (this one the right way around so must have started elsewhere) up to Retford where i sat for a bit, read my book before coming home. I bought the ticket from Whitwell as it means i now have a month to use a Retford to Whitwell ticket as i have broken my journey at Retford. Useful thing to have. RRB are operating for the next 2 weeks between Lincoln and Woodhouse so I doubt i shall get to use it but it is the same price. Additionally RRB operating from Mansfield Woodhouse to Whitwell this week. So if i wanted to go to Retford from Whitwell on Tuesday i would have to get.a Bus from Whitwell to Worksop, then a Bus from Worksop to Retford. I can get a bus bus from outside my house to Worksop, and one to Retford, from there it's quicker and cheaper. My main concern is the car parking area at Woodhouse which is normally empty will be full so i will end up not using the trains.

All in all an expensive trip for a couple of hours in London, but something i wanted to do so i think it was worth it.
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
London: the finest city in the world so can't blame you for wanting a visit, been to long since my last one

you will however get Saturdays money back, you may well have done anyway with that connection you didnt use, I find submitting the claim with a note about my health/disability works consistantly.

Hope this helps..
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
That was an expensive trip to London to go home almost straight away afterwards!

VTEC were diverting via Garforth which is not an electrified route hence the HSTs. GNER were looking at wiring up that bit to create an 'Electric Horseshoe' but obviously it never happened.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Yes I assumed part of the diversion route had no wires.

Expensive yes but I never intended to stay long and fancied a trip down there. It was either there or Edinburgh which is more money still.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Rob's Rant alert :
"Just Close Retford, close it down, put a gap in the fence for direct Platform 3 and 4 access, put a ticket machine down there and call it unstaffed, use it as a loop."

So due to a train fault which cannot be helped the 1848 Beverley service by Hull Trains is starting at Doncaster. that leaves a 2 hour gap at the end of the evening peak and into the rest of the evening between services that call at Retford and a nearly 4 hour gap between HT services for HT only ticket holders. It's already a 1tp2h service from VTEC with some HT services thrown in that tend to be only 20 minutes after or before a VTEC service. Hull Trains idea this evening is to pay VTEC to allow the 1848 passengers to board their 1930 service to Doncaster (beyond Retford) and then to provide road transport back to retford, by which time the 2030 HT service from King's Cross (the first train to call at Retford in 2 hours during the evening including the peak) will not be far off.

I did suggest that if they were paying VTEC to accept tickets on the 1930 that they'd probably find it cheaper to pay them to stop the 1930 additionally at Retford, or at the very least try and get passengers to get the 2116 service back to Retford from Doncaster, although that ship has sailed as the 1930 left 23L from King's Cross.

It just seems that once again, the one station on the ECML that gets the rough end of the deal is Retford.
If the train arrives at Doncaster at 2130 it will be at least 15 minutes to get passengers onto the bus, the 45 minutes to Retford by bus, a little less on a lucky day. So at 2230 people will arrive at Retford a good half and hour after the Hull Trains 2030 which isn't normally rammed. If they are very lucky they might catch the last Rail Replacement Bus service towards Worksop and Sheffield (it will not wait) but not a connection down the Robin Hood Line, that will be long gone.

It just seems so unfathomably counterproductive.
Things go wrong, a lot, and its a shame, and it can't be helped, and i'm not one to moan about late trains when it is clear why they are late, when TOCs do what they can to deal with delays and cancellations then it is clear they are doing their best and passengers have to deal with it. Afterall, delay repay is there, and can be used. But it seems that time and time again, whenever one of the few services that calls at Retford is involved, it gets put to the lowest priority. Passengers for Grantham have 2 more services to choose from before the next service that calls at Retford, Newark customers have 3.
How could they possibly have thought that telling Retford passengers to board the 1930 VTEC service to Doncaster was a practical idea?

.....Park Life......
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Poor show. There are a number of stations on this route where regular shafting of pax is the norm and whilst things are slowly improving at Dunbar this sounds far from being anywhere near associated with the word improvement!


Also the places like Cramlington and the other limmited service stations in the Northeast sram well away off the Radar for anybody to fix.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Newark needs to get a mention due to the rather poor connections between Lincoln services and the weekday terminating services

Not mentioning the limited options if you wanted to travel to Retford from Newark as that is only 2 hourly most of the day (due to Hull Trains skipping Newark)
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
And when it gets to this bluddy awful level of service one then asks how many of these locations and flows are already being or could be served better by bus?
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Number 37 is hourly between Newark and Retford, but it takes an hour, considerably longer than the train. Newark is poor for shorter distance journeys clearly, but at least there are 2tph to London and northbound towards York/ Doncaster / Leeds/ Newcastle /Edinburgh most of the day,
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
27/7/17 - A random trip up north.

I had planned to get as far as Edinburgh today but anchange of plan with work late this evening and into tomorrow meant that I had to cut short my journey. I did however manage to get as far as Berwick. A selection of advances was in order to get me from York to Berwick and back, the return ones I booked this morning after my plans changed to save me wasting part of a much longer and more useful ticket I have. It's the first time I've booked advances on the day, it worked and I got a very good deal.

As always there isn't huge amounts to tell as I don't do numbers apart from odd workings etc, I left Worksop on the usual 1015 and after a short wait at Retford and a walk to the nearby shop for a £1.09 sandwich instead of a £46.40 sandwich or whatever they have gone up to this week I boarded the 1049 HST to York.
At York I had a little wander to see what was about, on the way in we past Galatea. This arrived shortly afterwards on platform 5 on its way to Scarborough. The 37 on the back appeared to be doing a bit of something on the way out today unlike the last time I saw it.
The 1208 beckoned me and I caught the 185 as far as Newcastle. Someone was in my seat but a better one presented itself so I didn't complain. There were a few ticketing woes and a couple of young people were asked to leave the train at an intermediate stop.
At Newcastle I scratched off the first class lounge as my next advance to Berwick was in first. Poor selection of snacks I must say, only one type of biscuit and only sparkling water or coffee to drink.
On the 1345 to Berwick I scratched off the masala wrap thing. Wasn't too keen, there appeared to be no even spreading of the ingredients, so you'd have a mouthful of mango, then a mouthful of yoghurt then a mouthful of carrot and finally a threatening of chicken. I didn't complain as my journey was technically under the threshold for even getting one but the polite member of staff let me have one anyway.

I had planned to have an hour in Berwick to go for a walk before catching another train up to Edinburgh but as my plans had changed I had to get the next service back south which was a XC voyager as far as Newcastle. I managed a seat halfway down a carriage (my booked seat luckily) and i could hardly smell the toilets from there. It wasn't too busy although lots were due to get on at Newcastle.

I went for a walk at Newcastle, I had about 50 minutes to kill before the 1625. One sausage roll from greggs that as usual was barely above room temperature later and I was ready for the next part of my journey. My advance was to york but I got off at Doncaster using the return part of my ticket from Worksop, I had had a wander around York station earlier so I thought Doncaster would be better to do on the way back. The Scotsman was just outside York station, in the yard, much to everyone's excitement.

At Doncaster I popped in the new pub on platform 3 for an orange juice. It's not my first time here, it's quite nice and reasonably priced for what it is.

Onto the 1826 down to Retford (I considered going via Sheffield but they're always so busy from Sheffield to Worksop) and a short wait for the 1903 back to Worksop. The last train made 2 false starts and stopped again to let on more people from a late running northbound service although I can't see which one it was.

After sitting on the platform at Worksop on the phone diagnosing a full with some equipment (luckily not mine) out on a festival this weekend I watch a pair of 67s take the test train through Worksop station.

All in all a steady day, not getting as far as I had originally planned but a good trip all the same.

If I get finished early tomorrow I might have another run out somewhere.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Sounds like an agreeable day.
Your observations on the decline in standards of EC catering in all classes and also the FC lounge in Newcastle duely noted, these fit in with other similar reports and my own observations, I dont like VTEC in general and this kind of thing does little to change my view.
Glad to hear the XC toilet issue wasnt an issue today and good to hear another favourable report about the pub in Donny.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Is the 43300 flower pot still at Berwick?

Sounded like a good little day to the border town

Do you know i never looked, let us hope so.

The toilet smell wasn't bad on the 221 in my seat but as i alighted at Newcastle it was very noticeable, and it wasn't just a smell of the cleaning stuff either. I assume that one would have been out of order or would be shortly after anyway, ideal at Newcastle, given it was a Plymouth bound service.

I'm not sure what the current offerings of warm stuff are in First Class during the day, it's been a while since i've participated but there were no menus on the tables and as i was only on a short hop so pushing my luck with anything other than a drink and snacks i didn't ask and opted for the mediocre wrap instead.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Friday 28th July 2017

Another South Yorkshire Connect + for me today at £7.90

I had to call in at the dreaded MeadowHELL so i thought i'd combine it with a ride on a couple of trains rather than just driving there.

I caught the 1023 from Kiveton Park which is the last station within the tickets validity, luckily i got a parking space. As usual we were held up on the way into Sheffield awaiting the Lincoln service to leave the platform we required. Luckily though today we managed to get in with enough time to hop across onto a 158 Leeds Fast service (1050 i think) on the adjacent platform as far as Meadowhall. Its timetabled to leave 4 minutes before the through service from Kiveton Park that goes onwards to Adwick.
RPI were in force on the bridge from platforms 3 and 4 at Meadowhall. I've never understood the point of this, you can get in from the street to here so you'd only have to lie and tell them that and they'd let you go. I on the other hand had a valid ticket and duly showed them with a smile.
A quick pop into the waiting room on Platform 1 for a newspaper to do the crossword and a 185 Airport service arrived so i got on and went back to Sheffield.
Straight across to platform 1B at Sheffield for the late running Cleethorpes service back to Meadowhall and it was time to actually do what i needed to do.
After i had finished i caught a bus to the city centre and a tram to the station where i promptly did another run to and from Meadowhall on a pair of 158s.
I'd attempted to get lunch in Meadowhell but as it was lunch time everywhere was very busy so i decided the city centre would be a better bet, a tram from the station up to Wetherspoons was in order. Food was disappointing even by their standards. I mean, scrambled egg on a mixed grille? To me this says that they don't even scramble their own eggs else why wouldn't they just fry them like it says on the menu. I guess thats the one of two downsides to ordering on the app. One being if they don't have a particular thing, they can't tell you, the other being you can't tell them things like coleslaw is the work of the devil, don't put it within the same post code as my meal. Either way it filled a hole and it was time to get a tram back to the station.
There was some commotion on platform 1B with several EMT shirts and BTP involved. I am not sure if it was someone misbehaving or someone who was overly upset but i believe at least 1 train was held outside the station for short time an an Adwick service was delayed departing because of it. Another hop to Meadowhall and then a through service back to Kiveton Park to end the afternoon.

I particularly like platform 7 at Sheffield. It's a favourite of mine. I love how many people queue on the Platform 8 side of it awaiting the doors to open, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wonder what is taking so long. Meanwhile on the platform 6 side, everyone is duly getting on and off problem free. Is there a reason why they can't just open both sets of doors here? This was another famous EMT 156 and 158 combo on a Norwich to Liverpool service. I'm guessing there aren't many >75mph stretches between Nottingham and Liverpool though i'm wondering if the lower power of the 156 is causing them to lose time?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Members local to the Hope Valley will be best answering the EMT question but when I hear reports of unusual lashups on these turns I take an interest in timekeeping and it looks as if its largely dependant on the units!

Sorry you had to visit the shops, hope it was an easy purchase and not expensive. Must try one of those connect plus's one day, great ticket and good validity.
I will avoid that spoons in the same way I avoid all others where practicle, I can only assume they had run out of fresh eggs for frying.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Ugh, eggs! However, I loved the comment on coleslaw as I cannot stand the stuff. Mind you, the list of stuff I don't like is not exactly short!

Sounds like a good couple of days there, although having to go shopping can't have been fun. Good excuse to get out and about though!
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
I realise that i haven't updated anything on this thread for quite some time. I have been out on various trips and might get around to more reports soon. I have a slightly quieter November when i'm planning some form of multiday rover, which may be a Scotland one, or it may be an ALR, i have yet to decide on how much time i can devote to it in one go.
But for now, Saturday 30th September. Newcastle, Carlisle, Settle and Leeds.

So i had planned (and briefly discussed with a few forum members at a recent meal) getting in a Settle and Carlisle and a Cumbrian coast trip in one day, which isn't easy from my location due to fairly early and infrequent last trains, but i had a plan in place and a couple of Northern "Return" Tickets. Unfortunately, i became busy on the day i wanted to do this so decided to use a disaster as an opportunity and do a trip on Saturday instead to cover part of this.

I boarded the 1015 from Worksop using a Mobile ticket for the first time. The guard never came around to check it on this train, and i was off at Retford low level for the annoyingly tedious walk up and under to platform 2 via the local shop just around the corner and the ticket machine to buy my other ticket for the day. The 1054 arrived a little late and lost a little more time at Doncaster, and again at York where i alighted.

I then had 2 choices. I could get on the 1154 Down Chieftain (ex KGX at the earlier time of 1000 to accommodate the additional time of the Carlisle divert) Or i could get lunch and await the 1253 Edinburgh service which was booked as a 91 so would be dragged across. This was favourite of course for something different. A bag of crisps from one of the outlets at YRK was in order to keep me going until whatever was on offer on board the train. I had been informed about some issues between Edinburgh and Haymarket that was delaying things but that wasn't going to affect my current moves. I noticed a fair few XC services terminating into Platform 7 at York, is this normal for a Saturday or were they just stopping there as they couldn't get to Edinburgh? Also spotted EMT 222*** in P6 awaiting the afternoon service. There was some charter service in Platform 11 that left at some point whilst i was there, i didn't see what it was. A pair of 66s and a pair of consecutively numbered 20s sat out on the West side near the P10 and 11 bit. The Flying Banana came past on platform 3 southbound, with no carriages between it. Just 2 yellow class 43 power cars.

1253 arrived and so did 911** (sorry for getting people excited there, i only remember numbers of slightly out of place or interesting units) and we left just a little late. I sat in Coach K facing forwards, keeping an eye on the seating pointing the other way knowing that there was a reversal at Newcastle. 1 Egg sandwich, some crisps, and a lemon muffin came and went, as did some less cold than i'd like orange juice. I had an interesting sarcastic conversation with the lady serving who ended up getting "The Rob Stare" as i was quite lost for words as to how silly she had made herself look. The conversation went as follows.
VTEC Lady : Would you like anything to eat sir?
Rob : Yes please, what have you got?
VTEC Lady : It's all on the menu in front of you if you'd care to look.
Rob : Ok, well i will have the duck wrap then please.
VTEC Lady : We don't have any of those left. We have the Egg Mayo Sandwich.
Rob : So out of the items on the menu you have the Egg Sandwich?
VTEC Lady : Yes.
Rob : ..................................................
Rob : I will have an egg sandwich then please........
VTEC Lady : Any Crisps? or a muffin? Or Both?
Rob : Have you got any?

What a waste of life that conversation was. I have no issues with them running out of an item on the menu, even if it is 1 of only 2. I will eat the other, and if i didn't like it then i would just accept it, but to go out of her way to be just a little bit funny and short with me when i asked what they had just seemed rather silly. It was north of York, the train starts at KGX, i appreciate that they won't always be able to judge the passenger numbers especially with the potential weekend first upgrades (me included) but surely "Would you like anything to eat, we do only have the egg sandwiches left until Newcastle i'm afraid but we have crisps and muffins too".
The sandwich was nice, as was the rest of it. and i paid the £15 (i wasn't sure if it would be £15 or £25 rom York to Carlisle) upgrade happily when the chap came around. Darlington saw some confusion on the platform as at least 30 people boarded and walked through Coach K down towards Standard Class, whether they were just stood in the wrong place or whether there had been a last minute alteration i do not know but this lost us some more time, time we didn't have!

At Newcastle i spotted 67005 in a siding and wondered if that would be taking us to Carlisle. 67005 would, if i cared, be classed as a 'dud' but regardless or this, it wasn't there for that purpose anyway. We had about 20 minutes dwell time at NCL, so i went for a little walk around after moving my bag and coat onto a seat facing the opposite way in coach L. 67008 had appeared and was being attached to the DVT with a few spectators. There was a lot of faff from passengers getting on right at the last minute and beyond, most of which were getting on into coach L and clearly wanted to be in coach C, i'm not sure if this delayed us further but we left 13L and this meant that my +2 at Carlisle to get the 1549 semi fast service back to Leeds via Settle was out of the question, in fact if we lost any more time the 1618 stopping service might be a push and that would see me needing to make some awkward tight connections for last trains when i got home which was not welcome news.

A VERY steady start from 67008 didn't fill me with confidence about timekeeping and we lost a few more minutes to the first couple of timing points but then we seemed to find our feet and made up the time quite well. The views on that bit of track are still really pleasant and it was nice to do it in the comfort of a first class Mk4 rather than a 142 which is all i have been on before over there. We did so well for time that we actually arrived into Carlisle a few minutes early meaning that no only would i catch the semi fast service, i wouldn't even have to run for it. I did get offered more food on the trip over to Carlisle, so i did get my duck wrap in the end, i declined another muffin though.


To be continued due to there now being a 10000 character limit.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Part 2,

With no intended time at Carlisle, i have explored the city at length over the years so didn't need to do anymore on this occasion so the 1549 was perfect.
It was time to enjoy the views to Settle. 158*** (sorry, i have done it again) took me to Leeds in comfort. Do Northern have 2 seating layouts in the 158s? I have been on one today that seemed quite squashed for leg room but this one to Leeds seemed better. So the southbound track between Carlisle and Armathwaite is new to me, the last time i did that line southbound was during the bus replacements and i got a bus to Armathwaite and one of the few trains from there. This train only calls at Appleby, Kirkby Stephen, Settle and the onto Skipton where it follows the normal stopping pattern.

I must have been one of the youngest people on this train, and by a good 35 years in most cases. I honestly thought we might lose a couple on the way. I assume there is a good deal from Settle / Appleby, i know there is a railcard etc. Excellent that so many people who are getting on in years are able to get out to cities on what is a decent service which some of the best views in the country. I got a airline pair of seats to myself but the train was fairly full with a couple of non compulsory standees as far as Appleby. I had a can of carbonated fruit based non alcoholic beverage and a bag of sweets from the trolley service. I was tempted by an icecream but i struggle with dairy products and thought i'd give it a miss, even though i've never had an icecream on a train before and really do like it i thought i should refrain.

Of course, all good things must come to an end.
After Settle the first stop was Skipton, where the remaining passengers were brought back to reality with a few loud drunk people boarding with cans of unacceptably poor lager who were clearly off for a night out in Leeds. This had turned from God's waiting room to a bunch of p*ssed up people with little respect for fellow passengers spilling cheap drain cleaner on tables, seats and the floor in 2 applications of the door close button. Of course, due into Leeds at 1817 on a Saturday evening, this is to be expected.
It is very interesting to see how a train can change from one thing to another in such a quick time. Losing a bit of time at intermediate stations under the wires on the approach to Leeds but arriving 3E giving me 7 minutes for my intended (though of course not valid) connection. 5 to 13C which is easily doable in the given time, although no rush was required it seemed as the service (The Leeds to Doncaster stopper) hadn't even arrived from its last leg so there was time to use the station facilities and get back in time for the train which left around 7L calling at all stations to Doncaster.

Many sombre football fans were aboard, i assume that their team did less well than they'd hoped. 22 people on a patch of grass kicking a bag of wind around is my opinion but each to their own i guess. To Doncaster and back onto my mobile ticket again where i awaited a Hull trains service to take me the 11 minutes to Retford.

I noticed a very arrogant male VTEC member of staff on Platform 3 at this time of the evening, i was very disappointed, i considered a quick tweet to them to mention it but decided against it, he didn't have an direct contact with myself so i kept out of it but he was very short with people asking simple questions, and handled a trivial scenario with some youths squirting water at each other quite poorly by snatching bottles from them and throwing them 'at' a bin using unacceptable language. I have bad days and can be a little short with people who are in the wrong but an elderly lady asked when the next London train was due and what platform and the response was "Down there in a few minutes, read the signs" whilst walking the other way and not even looking at the lady in question. I told her i was catching that train and walked with her to the correct part of the platform (picking up a bottle of water from the platform and putting it in the bin the staff member had missed on the way) and helped her get her luggage onto the train and find a seat to which she seemed very grateful. All in all not the best attitude from VTEC today, which from my experience is out of the ordinary.

A friend of mine had been in London for the day and was waiting for the same train as me at Retford to get back to Worksop. My ticket was checked by the Hull Trains guard, who told me i had to activate it, i wasn't aware the outbound and return had to be activated separately but i know now. I alighted at Retford and met my friend and we had a wander down to the low level part of the station to await the train to Worksop. This is one of the Saturday services ex Cleethorpes via Brigg, most of this track i have done (with some forum members a couple of years ago) and would like to do the rest but the idea of there and back on a pacer has worse effects than aforementioned dairy products, so i think it might have to be an any permitted with one way on TPE, although this does increase the cost considerably. Is the via Brigg ticket just a routing restriction or is it considered Northern only? If the former i can surely excess to any permitted on the return leg? Not a particularly busy service which was surprising.

All in all a good day out, excellent views both between Newcastle and Carlisle and then certainly towards Settle. Not the cheapest with a walk up York to Carlisle plus a weekend first upgrade but well worth doing. Technically the return portion is still valid from Leeds to York as i moved onto my other ticket at Leeds.

A couple of photos from the day.
[Please note, photography is neither a strong point nor a massive interest, so i am not expecting any prizes for photos, they are reference material only]
 
Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Not liking the character limmit, I wonder if in the trip reports area this could be tweeked?

Good day it seams, the drags are indeed much fun and pleasant. I am sorry to say the staff atitude you got is my increasingly common experience with VTEC.
Thanks for sharing.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Less than pleasant staff on VTEC is not what I was looking forward to when Virgin got the franchise, but we have to deal with it sadly. VTEC are a complete contrast to what VTWC are, so you can imagine how glad I don't live on the eastern side or have to use VTEC very often at all!

This 10,000 character limit is going to stuff up my trip reports too, and as the memo file function on my phone doesn't have a character counter on it it will be interesting to see how it goes. I know the same function has a limit, but I've never figured what it is. I'm finding it harder and harder to come back to the forum, this new layout is driving me mad already and this is only the second time I've used it so far! I think I'll do what someone suggested ages ago, set up a blog and post all my reports to that instead. Obviously when the time comes I'll provide links etc.

It seems highly appropriate, then, as I type this reply to have Aerosmith's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing playing!

As for the report, an enjoyable read as always. Last time I did the S&C it was dark for most of the way, the time before that was going north with 56312 in 2008. It's a nice journey, although I still rate the WHL above it. Quite, I rate Liege to Luxembourg above the S&C too, although above that I rate Dombas to Andalneses in Norway, by some measure the most scenic journey I've ever done. I've got Chur to Tirano (as well as Basel to Zurich and Zurich to Chur) later this month to do mind, aboard the Bernina Express, which is reportedly one of the top rail journeys in the world!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,892
Location
Cambridge
Shame about the duck wraps, I had about four on my VTEC highland chieftain first class trip!
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Trip out to York

Just a short report as i sit waiting for a parcel to arrive from a well known online retailer. Last week i went up to York for the York meal, i decided to make it into a bit of an extra round trip returning the following day.
I boarded the 1215 service at Worksop towards Sheffield. This is often a 153, though wasn't today. A change at sheffield and onto the 1306 towards Leeds as far as Meadowhall where i popped in to get something quick for lunch. Staff checking tickets on the bridge over platform 1/2 seemed more interested in talking to each other than checking tickets so maybe they were just there to help.

A sausage roll from a well known pastry outlet later and i was back on platform 2 ready to catch the 1338 to York via Pontefract Baghill but realised i could make another move first in the right direction. Whilst awaiting the 1324 Leeds (not via Barnsley) stopper i was rudely disturbed by a passenger who got off the Cleethorpes service and lit a cigarette and stood next to me. I politely reminded him that he shouldn't be smoking on railway property and that if railway staff caught him he'd be in a lot of trouble. He gave me a funny look and walked a bit further away and carried on. As the 1324 was announced and could be seen in the distance a Network Rail employee walked onto the station and started to have a chat with the gentleman in question, i can only assume about the same thing.

The 1324 was a few minutes late and quite busy and i travelled as far as Moorthorpe where i popped into the excellent cafe there to get a drink and use the facilities. I didn't have long here regardless and had even less time due to the late running of the Leeds service. I boarded the 1402 (1330 ex Sheffield) and was surprised at how empty the service was. A couple of people in the rear carriage, and 3 including me in the front. All bar me and one lady taking photographs sat opposite and alighted at Pontefract, a new station for me, one person boarded. The only other time i have been there was was a diversion of something years ago.

Despite being a few minutes late at Pontefract we arrived into Sherburn in Elmet about 6E. The one person that got on in Pontefract got off here and i promptly got up to manually close the door knowing we were to be stood for some time. Church Fenton and Ulleskelf (the latter of which is also a new station for me) saw no passengers on or off and we arrived into York on time to a fair portion of people wanting to board the return working, the 1505.

I met a friend at the station who was going to Edinburgh on 1S20 the 1554 to Aberdeen, which was running late. Most ECML stuff in the down direction was delayed due to an incident further south. Infact, i had only made the decision to go via Sheffield and up the way i had after reading reports of delays to the services and knowing that northbound services via Retford would be delayed and they're usually the first to get cancelled and i didn't want to take that chance knowing that it was a Hull Trains service that was affecting things means there was a possibility that nothing would call for hours.

A drink in the York Tap, and it was time to check into the hotel before making my way to the meal.

Day 2.

Not an early start, and due to me not looking up the times, when i left the hotel and did check i realised i would miss the train i wanted and the next was an hour later. So i passed time by trying out the York Roast Company by having one of their now famous Yorkshire pudding wraps. I certainly won't be writing home about it, especially at that price. Nice but nothing amazingly special like some people seem to think.
Back at the station i was still in plenty of time to catch 2C29, the 1211 to Leeds (via Harrogate). My ticket was valid for this trip, though it wasn't exactly the most direct route home so i was half expecting some polite questions from guards on the first leg, mostly to check i knew where i was going, which of course i did. a brace of 150s did the honours to Knaresborough where i alighted to grab an orange juice in Wetherspoons. Its the first time i've been in that particular place, i am not sure if they were short staffed or busier than expected but the result was slow service. Not to worry i had half an hour to kill before the next service towards Leeds.

Back at the station i boarded the rear carriage of the next Leeds service. a 153 and 155. 2 stops down the line to Harrogate where i broke my journey again. A little confusion at the gateline (ticket rejected as expected) but no issues and i was let through. A little Christmas shopping was to happen here. It was very cold so i didn't dwell on things and got what i needed and managed to make the 1345, half an hour earlier than i had planned. A busy single 150 pulled in and i luckily managed to get a seat. Onwards to Leeds. very full from Harrogate but certainly full and standing from Headingley onwards.

The Yorkshire pudding wrap had barely filled a hole earlier so my plan was to pop into Wetherspoons in Leeds station to get something to eat. My ticket worked the barrier on the way out, I'm convinced that Leeds barriers would let you out of the station on a "Congratulations on passing your A levels" card let alone a ticket. I have accidentally put the completely wrong ticket in before and it has let me through. I think it was a collection receipt for a Wraysbury to London Terminals or something ridiculous. Wetherspoons was more full and standing than the train was so i decided that was a pointless exercise. I could make the 1445 VTEC service if i didn't dwell.

I managed to get a seat in coach H of the 1445 but promptly gave it up to an elderly gentleman who needed assistance getting onto the train. I stood in the vestibule and thought i might get a seat at Wakefield.

Announcements were audible, but only just (something that is winding me up generally at present) but it did go on to say. No trolley service. Limited menu availability in First Class, Coach M has heating stuck on full and is too warm. Coach F is freezing. Coach B is the quiet coach and has no power currently. There was an air leak in the door to coach H too, very slow to open and close.
Off at Doncaster where i had a walk around to get something to eat and then a walk back to the station to await the 1625 that calls at Retford.

The waiting shelter between platform 3 and 1 (and 2) Was empty so i thought i would wait in there. 1 heater worked so it was only around 6K in there. The heater went off a minute or so later and i pressed the button on the wall which looked like it might switch it back on. It did, and then it all went off, and the lights. An engineer appeared and he was there to fix a problem (coincidentally). He assessed the fuse box and the phoned his company to explain to them that they needed to close the shelter immediately as it wasn't safe. On inspection it turns out the fuse box was an old outdated type with cartridge fuses, it hadn't been tested since the turn of the century, was metal construction, fastened to metal trunking, into metal switches, with no RCD protection. I'm not sure wether it is VTEC or Network Rail or someone else who is responsible for this but if i had installed something like this, or as this appeared to be, retrofitted components without following the regulations then i'd be in court quicker than you could say death by electrocution. Likewise if anyone had done that job for me they'd be dismissed immediately without question. Needless to say they had to lock up the shelter and from what i can tell from calling at Doncaster the other day, it is still locked. It took 19 months to fix a platform display at Retford, so it might be some time. Luckily it was only a few minute before my train arrived.

The train before mine was the 1619 King's Cross service from Leeds. Shoved by 91108 (thought i'd get a number in for you). I noted this as the right hand tail lamp was inoperative. I am assuming the rules state that it is ok to run a train in service with only 1 working, afterall, a rake of carriages with no Loco or DVT on the back only has 1.

The 1625 was running 7L but still gave me plenty of time to alight at Retford and get down to the dark cold Low Level platforms to wait for the train back to Worksop. The 1708 service to Hull, from Platform 3, not to be confused with the 1711 service to Hull from Platform 2. One can see how this may be confusing, especially if you are in the P1 waiting room and come outside and can only see the Platform 3 and 4 boards. The 1711 HT service (when it runs) arrives in Hull at 1818. The 1708 arrives at 1948! The HT service would still beat it even if it broke down Thrice which is only marginally above average for a typical diagram.

Interestingly, despite numerous changes (The minimum number of trains the return journey can be achieved in is 4, i did it in 10) , breaks of journey, and numerous ticket checks, both the outward and return portions of the ticket were not marked once which is very rare.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
The retailer named after a popular collection of trees has still not been, though they are not "late"

Random journeys with random rants.
Wednesday 13th December : South Yorkshire Connect + plus a few extra bits to extend to other places. Plus the Return of a Leeds ticket i had left.

A later than wanted start. I needed to go to pick up another festive gift for someone so drove to Woodhouse to try to catch the 1233 to Sheffield.
This didn't go to plan, some road works held me up by 5 minutes, and then as i got to the bottom of Station road, it was closed and the diversion is nearly 3 miles. Annoyingly there is a way to avoid this had i known about the closure, it would have also avoided the other road works. It was 1228, and it simply wasn't going to happen.
Around the diversion and to the top of Station road and into Woodhouse Chippy for lunch. As i always say, Always use a disaster as an opportunity. I ate lunch at the station, in the car, as it was raining quite a lot. the 1335 arrived and i got on to Sheffield. We were 8L getting into Sheffield so i had missed the (very unofficial +2) connection to the **50 Leeds service.

I had a bit of time to kill at Sheffield. as the Adwick service had also left as we pulled in. Luck was on my side as i had received a reply from an outlet at Meadowhell telling me that despite previous conversation they hadn't actually got the product i wanted, but there was one at Doncaster. So, to Doncaster. On the late running 1347 Newcastle XC service. There had been a fault on that train, and a set swap at BHM apparently. I am assuming that the set swap took some time and many people might have transferred to the Aberdeen service which had a similar calling pattern (other than going via Leeds instead of Doncaster) as this train wasn't that busy at all. Most Doncaster passengers would have caught the TPE service which called before hand but i could have had my pick of seats in the first 2 carriages. A lady sat infront of me was on the phone to her dad, and i couldn't help overhearing that she had just lost her job. She was remarkably upbeat about it all, saying very positive things about the staff that had essentially just took away her income in December.

At Doncaster i went to the retailer and purchased the gift i needed to and headed back to the station, via Crawshaws who were doing their usual trick of essentially giving away animal products. So i bought some of what they call "Chicken Bites" which come in alsorts of variations. Apparently it was 10 for £3, which seemed reasonable. I got about 20 for my £3, they were ready for closing i think. I was quite full afterwards, but they were rather nice. A sparkling orange flavoured beverage in the pub on platform 3 at Doncaster was had whilst awaiting the 1542 Manchester Airport service.

The 185 rolled in and i noticed it was a refurbished one. Despite getting a few of these (often for short Meadowhall to Sheffield hops) its the first refurbished one i have been on. They looked pleasant enough.
Armed with a hot chocolate from the machine at Sheffield (£1.50 not £71.25 or whatever it costs from a franchised outlet nowadays)

I hopped on to the 1614 to Leeds. On ticket inspection i also obtained a single from Moorthorpe to Wakefield to extend my rover ticket. I had the return portion of a Leeds ticket to get me back south. Train was quite busy but thinned out abit after Swinton. Here i witnessed the poor decision by the guard with the young lad spoken about in another topic. I did my best to help. At Wakefield Westgate it was a hop over the bridge and a quick in and out of a pastry specialist's store for a drink (certainly no more food after the chicken - which wasn't that many hours after my chips) and onto the Late running 1728 service to Retford. Incidentally this was shoved by 91108, and incidentally the right hand tail lamp is still inoperative.

To the 1814 where i board the train and seek out the Guard to ask him if i can travel through to Kiveton Park with my ticket (where my connect + becomes valid again) and how much extra i need to pay (the ticket is to Worksop). He says it is the same price ticket so don't worry about it. A kind gesture, this is what MOST Northern guards are like. Sensible, knowledgable and friendly. It is a shame there are a few who are less like this. There's 3 of us on the train, a few more join at Worksop, and 1 elderly chap who had waited at Shireoaks since 1700 in the freezing cold, not realising that the next 2! trains Sheffield bound are fast Worksop to Sheffield leaving 2 hours and 10 minutes between services. You'd think there would be an easement to allow doubling back here. its 20p different in price for a CDR, and there is no benefit to doubling back at any other time of day, infact doing so doesn't meet the minimum connection time at Worksop so you can't. But there are 2 fast services that are direct Worksop to Sheffield in that gap. Being able to catch the 1710 to Worksop and then get the fast service makes absolute sense but once again it is likely too much faff for someone to allow this.

So it was finally through to Woodhouse where i alight to my very cold car. Luckily the road was open again by now so no diversion was necessary.




Important news : Said online retailer's third party delivery chap has been and posted said item through the door. Didn't have to stay in afterall...........
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Seems silly there are random fast services which don't call at Shireoaks during the evening time, not really the best if you live there and want to commute to/from Worksop
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top