• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rob's Rovers, Rangers and Rants

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Yes, it doesn't tend to affect me so i haven't paid much attention to it until i looked the other day and realised. I often get on / off at Kiveton park as that is as close to my house as Worksop is. There are a couple of services that call there but miss out the other stops between Worksop and Sheffield. The speed limit is not fast on any of that line, i can't see it saving that much time really.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
It would make sense if there was another service which ran behind it to pick up the stops (isn't that the idea of one of the improvements with a new Sheffield - Retford/Gainsborough Central stopping service to allow the Lincoln services to run fast from Sheffield to Worksop?)
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
It would make sense if there was another service which ran behind it to pick up the stops (isn't that the idea of one of the improvements with a new Sheffield - Retford/Gainsborough Central stopping service to allow the Lincoln services to run fast from Sheffield to Worksop?)

I believe the idea is there is a fast service and a slow service from Worksop 2tph, the stopping pattern of the fast i am not sure, likely just direct, maybe a KVP call? I haven't actually read it, nor do i know where to find the information. There's about a 10 minute difference in time between a stopping service and one that runs fast.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
I believe the idea is there is a fast service and a slow service from Worksop 2tph, the stopping pattern of the fast i am not sure, likely just direct, maybe a KVP call? I haven't actually read it, nor do i know where to find the information. There's about a 10 minute difference in time between a stopping service and one that runs fast.

I think the best way is to just wait for the confirmed details to actually come out as it has probably changed over time at what stops the Lincolns will call at once a Retford stopper is introduced.

Could be 2tph from Worksop to Sheffield, but it won't be of much use if both services depart within 10 minutes of each other (like Folkestone on Sundays)
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Could be 2tph from Worksop to Sheffield, but it won't be of much use if both services depart within 10 minutes of each other (like Folkestone on Sundays)

It'll be in keeping with everything else in the area if they are! Retford ECML trains are generally 20 minutes apart and then nothing for 2 hours.
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,912
Rob’s First January rant.

So, the ticket machines on the Robin Hood line have been in for about a year now. And so far I think I have only managed to buy one ticket from one with any success. How is it acceptable for this kind of reliability in the first place? When you add to this the significant increase in RPI activity on the line (something I fully agree with by the way) making decisions on whether the ticket machines work based upon how people dress (something I don’t agree with) then you have a recipe for disaster.
I remember in November travelling to Nottingham from Shirebrook and RPIs joining the train at Mansfield. A young lady opposite also boarded at Shirebrook where the machine was out of order.
The RPI did not believe her and whilst she did not receive a penalty fare she was not allowed to use her railcard. Opposite to me at the table an elderly gentleman in a shirt also said the machine was out of order and got to purchase a ticket for the going rate with a senior railcard. I already had my tickets but had noticed the machine out of order as I look as a matter of course due to their reliability in the past.
Today marks a quick trip to Nottingham and back from Sutton Parkway as I have a couple of hours to kill before a show tonight, the machine’s touch screen is around 1 inch out of calibration on the vertical plane, isn’t accepting cash, and instead of printing my outward and return it’s printed someone else’s return (valid for my journey) and my outward. It hasn’t printed my return and the next person to use it didn’t get any tickets at all. The guard has accepted this and allowed them to travel but they’re likely to be challenged on the return.

I am 110% for combatting fare evasion, and I agree with the penalty fare scheme where it is necessary. The RPI activity has gone up and this is a good thing. But surely in order to get your passengers to do things right you have to make sure the system works for them. Those who want to evade fares do not care if the machines are out of order as they don’t buy a ticket anyway.

As it stands, officially my outward portion is not valid as I do not have the return portion. Of course this in reality isn’t an issue but another person (who may or may not know the first thing about the railway) is without a return portion of their ticket through a failing on EMTs part. It’s not their fault as they don’t make the machines but t should be their problem and yet it isn’t.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top