"Technology minded people" (do you mean "technically"?) generally end up being machine minders on the railways. I am a very technically minded railway worker, very much "in the thick of it" when it comes to new stuff being introduced, and yet I spend a sizeable chunk of each working day fixing stuff. That applies whether it's dealing with commercial issues (new TIS, new payment methods or TVM issues) or rolling stock (PIS operation, other facilities such as toilet modules or HVAC, or more serious fundamentals such as traction issues) or stations (dispatch, lighting, staff information).
The railway has a very "interesting" habit of deploying stuff which isn't quite ready, in fact it always has - and then the rule books "get written in blood" based on past accidents, in order to ensure faults and failures are dealt with properly. This applies as much to getting the machines to be compliant as anything else. I don't see train crew responsibilities drifting away from either high levels of training need, or major troubleshooting, for years to come.
On the other hand, I am always happy to see things being improved. There are huge numbers of dedicated people who will spot a flaw and actually try to do something about it. A bit more co-ordination wouldn't go amiss, but the railway has the talent there. It may just not be used in the way you think...
Luddite!