• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RMT members overwhelmingly back further strike action

Status
Not open for further replies.

alholmes

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
477
Location
London E3
Thank you for the clarification.

So my expectation of a December 2024 election is actually a month earlier than it will be. January 2025 it is.

The substantive point that there will not be an election any time soon holds.
Reality is, that scenario would mean an election campaign over Christmas and New Year which would not be popular. Realistically I think the latest date for an election would be October or November 2024, but May 2024 still a possibility.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Thank you for the clarification.

So my expectation of a December 2024 election is actually a month earlier than it will be. January 2025 it is.

The substantive point that there will not be an election any time soon holds.

The government aren’t going to want to run the clock down to the last possible moment. They will want to resolve the current IR issues in all sectors and be seen to move on from them well before any election. They will also want some flexibility to choose dates.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Reality is, that scenario would mean an election campaign over Christmas and New Year which would not be popular. Realistically I think the latest date for an election would be October or November 2024, but May 2024 still a possibility.

Agreed. It’s an unknown for now, but highly unlikely under any circumstances to be the latest legally possible date.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
I am sorry if you think that somehow the incoming Labour government will be any different to Blair's New Labour. There will be too much pleasing the city and keeping the economic credibility to be seen giving in to unions, especially the rail unions.
New Labour were a competent and pragmatic government who were happy to compromise when required. New Labour were the best government we’ve had since at least the 50s. I’d take New Labour in a flash compared to the shysters and charlatans in charge now.

They won’t need to “give in” to the unions, they’ll just need to negotiate with integrity. For all the bluster, the RMT are a very pragmatic union- hard negotiators, but realistic negotiators. Negotiate in good faith and the RMT will do too.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,327
Location
Swansea
The government aren’t going to want to run the clock down to the last possible moment. They will want to resolve the current IR issues in all sectors and be seen to move on from them well before any election. They will also want some flexibility to choose dates.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==



Agreed. It’s an unknown for now, but highly unlikely under any circumstances to be the latest legally possible date.

I really hope that you are right about the industrial relations issues being resolved.
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,598
The problem the RMT have is that it’s no longer a big news story, when strikes involving teachers, nurses, doctors etc are a much bigger sorry. When something becomes a regular occurrence it becomes less newsworthy.

So there will be intermittent strikes every few weeks/months that receives minimal news coverage until after the next general election

Labour won’t want to commit too much this side of the election and it won’t be at the top of the agenda in the election manifestos, and they probably won’t agree to all of the demands afterwards either. Eventually a deal will be made that is little different to the one on the table now.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,416
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Absolutely. I’m not remotely surprised by this result based on the mood where I am.

I sense the same mood everywhere.


Highly doubtful. If they wanted to do that - or actually thought it would get the results they wanted - they would have done it long ago.

The one result this government have achieved is that today my household did something I once thought would *never* happen. I’m still feeling sick now.
 

Teddyward

Member
Joined
3 Oct 2017
Messages
528
Location
Essex
The fact the TOC disputes are being dealt with on a national level is just farcical. T&C vary too wildly for these blanket negotiations.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
The one result this government have achieved is that today my household did something I once thought would *never* happen. I’m still feeling sick now.

Hopefully it will send a message.

No by-election here (I’m in a London Borough). Come the GE I’ll be either not voting, or possibly voting Lib Dem, which will be by far the furthest left I’ve ever voted! I’m in a safe Tory seat so that will be more effective - and I doubt I’ll be able to bring myself to vote for Mister Softee!
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,379
I’m in a safe Tory seat so that will be more effective - and I couldn’t vote Labour.
No seat in London is expected to be safe for the Conservatives if the electorate pay attention to who is the closest alternative.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,416
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Hopefully it will send a message.

No by-election here (I’m in a London Borough). Come the GE I’ll be either not voting, or possibly voting Lib Dem, which will be by far the furthest left I’ve ever voted! I’m in a safe Tory seat so that will be more effective - and I doubt I’ll be able to bring myself to vote for Mister Softee!

I would have considered voting Lib Dem, however notwithstanding that I’m always wary of the way they have in the past positioned themselves as a protest option by promising different things to different people, the local Lib Dem councillors have unimpressed me over recent months. I’m fuming with the Conservatives in so many ways - the rail situation being one, but also the Hunt budget, the Truss fiasco, the way they have squandered their political capital, and of course Johnson’s dishonourable conduct.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
Be careful what you wish for. A labour government in this country would be an absolute nightmare!! If people are hanging around awaiting for the GE thinking all problems are going to be solved then think again or you'll be very disappointed people.
OK please elaborate ? Because after 13 years of Tories dragging the country to hell id like to see Labour possibly do any worse!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,410
Location
Yorks
Be careful what you wish for. A labour government in this country would be an absolute nightmare!! If people are hanging around awaiting for the GE thinking all problems are going to be solved then think again or you'll be very disappointed people.

You automatically assume that a Labour Government would be a "nightmare".

How anyone can say that after the Truss fiasco is laughable.

I spent my early working years through the last labour government and they were the definition of stability compared to the neverending fiasco of the Tory government, so I will laugh at your "absolute nightmare".
 

Sleepy

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
1,833
Location
East Anglia
And what do we get from Harper on Question Time about resolving the disputes ? Train drivers are on £60k, which he was quickly taken to task for....
 

Dougal2345

Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
635
I may be wrong, but if it was me running the RMT I would be seeking the route that involved the least possible strikes. Noting here mandates and strikes are different things.
Perhaps the RMT could consider cancelling the Eurovision strike, as a gesture of goodwill, which might gain them a modicum of public approval - I think the reason given for choosing that day was that it was the only date possible under the existing mandate at the time?
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
The RDG's "clarification" is the route cause of the latest chapter of this dispute.

I think most were willing to accept the Dispute Resolution Process before that.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

GNER were the only TOC to put the work in and negotiate restructure of all grades. Everyone had Sundays put in the working week. All allowances integrated into a new rate of pay.

Whilst other TOCs had various restructures for various roles, none were as thorough as GNER.

Making Sundays part of the working week for traincrew and station staff, meant more staff were required as a Sunday wasn't overtime anymore.
No other TOC fancied such an investment in headcount increase.

Nope. There are still ICEC grades who have allowances above and beyond salary.
 

Pdf

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2022
Messages
122
Location
London
Hopefully it will send a message.

No by-election here (I’m in a London Borough). Come the GE I’ll be either not voting, or possibly voting Lib Dem, which will be by far the furthest left I’ve ever voted! I’m in a safe Tory seat so that will be more effective - and I doubt I’ll be able to bring myself to vote for Mister Softee!
Even a vote for the monster raving loony party is better than not voting at all.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,416
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Even a vote for the monster raving loony party is better than not voting at all.

The problem with local elections is there’s not that much choice. Here there were five choices - Conservative, Labour, Lib Dem, Green and Christian People. Two of those are complete no-no for me on principle, which leaves the three mainstream parties. Lib Dem was out for me because of the performance of the local councillors, which then narrowed it down to two, and my views on one of them at the moment are well documented.

A spoiled paper is probably better than no vote though, though in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t achieve much.
 

whoosh

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,894
Nope. There are still ICEC grades who have allowances above and beyond salary.
I stand corrected.
They did more than most though. Ticket offices and shunters were restructured, as well as drivers, guards, and on board staff.
 

railfan99

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2020
Messages
1,961
Location
Victoria, Australia
I think that goes for everyone involved on both the staff and passenger side!

So do I, because the ongoing strikes (in not just rail) are doing England's international reputation no favours.

Nor does it help the cause of rail advocates who want to encourage passenger and freight usage of this wonderful transportation mode.

Do workers who voted 'yes' to further strike action understand the damage that wage-price spirals historically have done to lower paid employees?
 

davews

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2021
Messages
1,016
Location
Bracknell
Oh dear here we go again. As a matter of interest, and not working in the industry myself. What percentage of employees in the various companies are actually members of RMT? Expressing those voting in favour as a percentage of total staff in the appropriate areas might show industry wide support for strikes to be much lower than the 50%+ in the RMT figures.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,635
Location
Crewe
Oh dear here we go again. As a matter of interest, and not working in the industry myself. What percentage of employees in the various companies are actually members of RMT? Expressing those voting in favour as a percentage of total staff in the appropriate areas might show industry wide support for strikes to be much lower than the 50%+ in the RMT figures.
There aren't official figures that I am aware of, but it's normally very high. There's never been more than a few people at the depots I've working in that are not union members (RMT or ASLEF, or TSSA for platform/management). Probably 95-96%ish
 

KM1991

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
229
Surely the only logical solution is for the RDG to amend the deal and change the wording regarding the mandate for industrial action.

Remove the part that states that an endorsement of this deal will terminate the current dispute, and add in a clause that explicitly states that the dispute and mandate will remain valid, but that the RMT have agreed that they will not exercise the right to strike during the 3 month extensive negotiations at TOC level under the second phase.

This is a win-win and would save the RMT the hassle of going through a reballot of members like the original offer proposes. The leverage of industrial action remains and the RMT could use this immediately should no agreement be made at the end of the 3 months.
 

philosopher

Established Member
Joined
23 Sep 2015
Messages
1,513
So do I, because the ongoing strikes (in not just rail) are doing England's international reputation no favours.

Nor does it help the cause of rail advocates who want to encourage passenger and freight usage of this wonderful transportation mode.

Do workers who voted 'yes' to further strike action understand the damage that wage-price spirals historically have done to lower paid employees?
While the strikes are big news here, I would be surprised if they gain much news coverage internationally. If they do it, it would probably be limited to a minute of so long news story during the second half of the news programme or a couple of paragraphs in a newspaper.

If you are tourist in London on a day when there is a tube strikes or you arrive at / depart from Gatwick airport when ASLEF are striking your experience of the UK may be soured from the strikes and may put off you visiting the UK in future, however most tourists would still have to be unlucky to have their holiday disrupted by the strikes.

Therefore I doubt the strikes have that much impact on England’s international reputation.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
Local election results last night in England seem to suggest big dissatisfaction with the Tories. Labour and Lib Democrats have cleaned up with the exception of a few Eastern outposts. This should send a message to Sunak and his cronies that the public at large do not support his crazy views on allowing strikes to continue indefinitely. Its time to get round the table, and RDG not to play silly beggars with offers they know give zero chance of being accepted.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,379
This should send a message to Sunak and his cronies that the public at large do not support his crazy views on allowing strikes to continue indefinitely.
They won't be getting that message at all. Indeed, they might be feeling that coming down hard on striking workers is one of their more popular policies for all we know.

The government will dismiss the results as just what happens to an incumbent government, not link it to any particular policy.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Do workers who voted 'yes' to further strike action understand the damage that wage-price spirals historically have done to lower paid employees?

Wage price spirals. Seriously?

You do realise many of the workers currently involved in action in the UK have seen significant real terms pay cuts over the past decade, and many rail staff haven’t had a pay rise since 2019.

Oh dear here we go again. As a matter of interest, and not working in the industry myself. What percentage of employees in the various companies are actually members of RMT? Expressing those voting in favour as a percentage of total staff in the appropriate areas might show industry wide support for strikes to be much lower than the 50%+ in the RMT figures.

It’s interesting how people outside the industry talk down the popularity of railway unions and their commitment to strike action. As I say, from the standpoint of actually knowing scores of RMT members, I’m not remotely surprised by the result of the ballot.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
They won't be getting that message at all. Indeed, they might be feeling that coming down hard on striking workers is one of their more popular policies for all we know.

The government will dismiss the results as just what happens to an incumbent government, not link it to any particular policy.
In which case they are merely digging their own graves. But with this current lot of Tories being SO out of touch with reality, I'm not remotely surprised.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top