the sniper
Established Member
- Joined
- 4 Sep 2007
- Messages
- 3,498
and? If it can be done, why not?
And why should the RMT and ASLEF buy into that...?
Obviously it can be done. But why would the unions wish to be complicit in facilitating it?
and? If it can be done, why not?
Especially when Jezza will be nationalising the railways in 6 months and you'll find yourselves in a land of milk and honey![]()
Maybe he'll want Merseytravel to run Merseyrail and then people will discover the plans don't change when a public company takes over the franchise, except maybe any plans to give staff above inflation pay rises.
It seems that yet again one or two people on here think that DOO is inevitable on Merseyrail. You have to get the drivers to agree to it first. Good luck with that one. Steve Rotheram the new LCR mayor may have a very different opinion to the Merseytravel Management as well.
I would imagine now Merseyrail guards know the long term future of Merseyrail is expected to be DOO, that if they want to remain in a guard's role they will apply for vacancies advertised by other operators .
It seems that yet again one or two people on here think that DOO is inevitable on Merseyrail. You have to get the drivers to agree to it first. Good luck with that one. Steve Rotheram the new LCR mayor may have a very different opinion to the Merseytravel Management as well.
There is also a large trust & credibility issue in these circumstances. Many people simply do not trust what they are told. I am very suspicious of any "promises" made by managers. Having being screwed once before you tend to get cynical. You may not have been in that position before. I have...
Ive had some very unscrupulous bosses too so totally understand employment law probably needs strengthening in certain areas to prevent exploitation, but I also appreciate this isnt a viable reason alone to resist virtually all change in the manor the rail unions appear to be doing right now .
They already are doing - several have come over to ATW at Chester in the last few years. There aren't all that many vacancies for them though, especially when you consider the easiest option to move is to Northern and prospects aren't much better there.
Sounds like a mixture of a lot of bad assumptions and a cliche thrown in there to boot.
The trains will be locally owned, so the savings go towards a more efficient network paid for locally.
The trains have already been ordered and paid for with all the kit required to enable DCO. There's fat chance of that kit being left idle when the local taxpayer and farepayers are picking up the bill for the modernisation.
Has it even been ascertained whether the new trains are capable of being guard operated? What if on the new trains it is only technologically possible for the driver to physically and/or safely do door duties?...
Crying over spilt milk, comes to mind.
Some of us recognise the realities of business and that the "truth" is usually somewhere between both "sides".
When one loses there job, a job they enjoyed doing and to the best of there ability to be told your no longer needed because we have to make savings, it wasnt milk being spilt but tears, tears of sadness that it had come to such a pass, tears of anger that a decision had been made to say we don't appreciate you anymore, to be told the decision has not been made by us but by some government quango.
Losing your job is unpleasant (I've got significant personal experience of that). But, and sorry to be blunt, we all know that the railway isn't a job-perpetuation scheme. If guards are now surplus to requirements and the railway can operate safely and fairly without them, the fact that guards enjoy their jobs isn't a sufficient reason to keep them.
As it happens, I don't think that guards are surplus to requirements, and won't be until someone comes up with a sensible way of providing assistance to disabled passengers. And I don't think that "book in advance and hope for the best" can reasonably be described as sensible. I do think, still, that the RMT has misdirected its focus - as a passenger, the assistance angle is far more compelling than the safety angle (and I'm afraid that the job loss and union diminution angles are not compelling at all).
The truth is Merseytravel say they need to save money to afford the new trains. Keeping the same headcount on the same wage saves nothing. So where are the savings coming from?
Oh yeah, headcount and wage reductions.
Maybe that's the right call, maybe it isn't. But I'm sick of having my intelligence insulted on this matter. If the TOC wants/needs to cut staff to cut costs, they should be honest about it, rather than pretending they'll magically save money just by giving someone a new job description.
Not a bad assumption from me, i can only go by what has happened through the annuls of history, so i speak from experience of going through process this once under British Rail once under Privitisation. Certainly no cliches either.
They may say the trains are going to be owned locally, that is what they are saying now. Transport for London said the same thing about the class 378s before they arrived and do they own them now? in fact they have never owned them. So that could still change. Shame they are not being built in the UK could of saved even more money and benefited the wider UK economy at the same time
So if the trains have been paid for already, why in the future does this affect staff numbers? Surely if they have been paid for then reducing the numbers of staff need not happen.
The so called kit you talk about is not DCO it is DOO makes no difference to me as i see it being one and the same thing but never mind some things are designed to be dressed up and sounded like something they are not. You said earlier that the taxpayers (which incidentally includes those that will lose there jobs!) have paid for these new trains, again if they have been paid for why the need to reduce the staff headcount? Unless of course they actually haven't been paid for.
Merseyrail have said those trains need to be run in DOO in order for the new trains to be worthwhile having, a euphemism meaning we have to reduce the amount of staff.
I am a grown man and yes whilst you may think the saying crying over spilt milk is believe it or not a cliche in itself. When one loses there job, a job they enjoyed doing and to the best of there ability to be told your no longer needed because we have to make savings, it wasnt milk being spilt but tears, tears of sadness that it had come to such a pass, tears of anger that a decision had been made to say we don't appreciate you anymore, to be told the decision has not been made by us but by some government quango.
Sorry to see anyone lose their job (if indeed they do) but I also have to say that it's a very common feature of life all over the big outside world. One key reason for rail staff getting so upset about changes to their jobs is that they've been protected from such things for much longer than most other employees. Realistically, I think most people recognise that some changes are necessary and the new trains are the obvious time to do it.
Where is Mrs May's Governments plan to retrain these guards then that may have been a guard all their working life? Or do they just get chucked on the scrap heap and then punished for not accepting exploitation like zero hours contracts? That's your modern economy!
Where is Mrs May's Governments plan to retrain these guards then that may have been a guard all their working life? Or do they just get chucked on the scrap heap and then punished for not accepting exploitation like zero hours contracts? That's your modern economy!
Where is Mrs May's Governments plan to retrain these guards then that may have been a guard all their working life? Or do they just get chucked on the scrap heap and then punished for not accepting exploitation like zero hours contracts? That's your modern economy!
I don't want to hop around through multiple jobs to suit other people with my own needs being at the bottom of the list, though. I do what I understand to be a valued job, really very well (I feel quite entitled to blow my own trumpet) and I don't wish to fit into this new gig economy.
I'm a simple creature who wants to work hard, have a bit of fun in my leisure time, enjoy the company of my family and friends and die at a half decent age if at all possible in a not too horrible way.
I don't for want of a better phrase have 'ambitions' for my career and resent the fact that it suits a subsection of society to sacrifice my job security and indeed happiness to make life more efficient for them. They'll be just as dead as me at the end of it.
I don't want to hop around through multiple jobs to suit other people with my own needs being at the bottom of the list, though. I do what I understand to be a valued job, really very well (I feel quite entitled to blow my own trumpet) and I don't wish to fit into this new gig economy.
I'm a simple creature who wants to work hard, have a bit of fun in my leisure time, enjoy the company of my family and friends and die at a half decent age if at all possible in a not too horrible way.
I don't for want of a better phrase have 'ambitions' for my career and resent the fact that it suits a subsection of society to sacrifice my job security and indeed happiness to make life more efficient for them. They'll be just as dead as me at the end of it.