Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
I do not agree with that at all . They are making out like everybody who is currently in the guards grade will be offered an alternative job as the result of this . You know as well as I do that this is untrue .
No, they are making out that those who are currently in a guard role will be offered either an alternative job or early retirement, and many will leave or retire naturally.
Longer term, I suspect some of these jobs will disappear - but again, as long as they only disappear as people cease to want them, what's the issue?
That is to me totally reasonable.
Surely people who are employed on 3 year contracts are still part of Merseyrail's employment , and I would suspect that when their 3 year contract is up some of them would rather remain on the railway than end up facing what is in effect redundancy and have to look for a new job . I would consider that people being forced out of Merseyrails employment when they would rather stay .
Then we differ on that. A three year contract is just that - a job for three years. Any extension is at the discretion of both the employer and employee - if one is to take place, both must be in agreement. Failing such agreement, which it is totally clear will not come from Merseyrail, the contract will end, with the payment of statutory redundancy pay if this is legally required (and I'm certain Merseyrail will cost this in).
That Merseyrail aren't using two year contracts to avoid this as some have pointed out is further evidence that their intentions are totally honest and up-front.
I do see issues with misuse of zero hours contracts etc, but this is not a misuse, not in the slightest. It is an honest and up-front offer of short-term employment for those who would desire that employment. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing underhand, nothing inappropriate.
Are you against short-term employment where it is required for genuine reasons? Why? Do you think, for example, someone taken on for a period of months to cover for maternity/paternity leave should receive a permanent job at the end? Why? Your view seems a totally unrealistic view of how a business should operate.
I appreciate that Merseyrail has employed people on 3 year contracts because this is what the business case requires . But in this dispute Merseyrail is leading the public to believe that everyone who is currently employed in the guards grade will still be employed once all the new trains have been delivered
No, I simply don't believe they are. They are essentially saying there will be no compulsory redundancies (other than the technicality of the 3 year contract staff - and that is a technicality, nothing more, and I completely support them in not bringing that into it). I believe them. Some will take voluntary/early retirement, some will be redeployed, some will be due for retirement anyway, some will simply move to other jobs because they choose to do so. The fleet phase in is over a long period so there won't be a dead stop, unlike GTR - no 507 or 508 will ever operate with passengers without a guard.
I am not arguing about trying to protect the jobs of people who are on temporary contracts . I am merely arguing about statements Merseyrail are making to this effect .If they come out and said we currently employ 250 guards (made up number) 200 of these are on permanent contracts and will be offered alternative jobs and 50 of these are on temporary contracts and will not be given a contract renewal in 2021 when that contract runs out then I would be fine with that because that reflects the true reality of the situation .
I guess the Press is not interested in a long analysis of the situation like this (which I believe would be correct) and so they are playing soundbites.
Last edited: