• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rippingale old station steam locomotive whereabouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fv43576

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2015
Messages
131
I have drove pass the old station Rippingale 3 years later. I remember the D9537 was there but now is not there anymore. I went look into website the D9537 is now move to Bury in brown livery. But where is the steam train little green something like Peckett & Sons, I never knew what is the number was and whereabouts it is now and the blue body cab from steam train what are they?
I am interesting how it was left there was by someone who preserved and keep there or they have left locomotive after the line closure in 1964?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
The steam loco is Avonside 0-6-0 Saddle Tank "Stamford No.24", built in 1927. It was formerly employed at the Pilton Ironstone Quarries in Rutland, operated by the Staveley Iron & Steel Co.

The loco was bought for preservation by the Bluebell Railway after the quarries closed in June 1969, but it is on long term loan to the Rutland Railway Museum, where it can now be found at Cottesmore. The Museum hope one day to restore the locomotive to service. I think that the Rippingale station site was privately owned by an individual who had been involved with the Rutland Railway Museum.

Few links below for info:
https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/24-stamford.38106/
http://www.rutlandrailwaymuseum.org.uk/files/index.php-p-museum-stock-list.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45563292@N02/5987249057
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top