I was thinking recently about times that I'd been in the right place at the right time and the Gods of haulage had looked down and bestowed upon me a moment that I was pretty damned lucky to have experienced
.
This was basically inspired by, for example 55013s story about being in the right place to get a steaming 25080 one evening, also some of the stories Keith, LSG and others have told.
I thought of a few of mine and here they are in no particular order, sorry if this has been done before but it's always nice to have a bit of nostalgia.
So in no particular order:
45113, 16/08/88 the last Peak on a passenger service in Devon (pretty sure it was anyway). Word had got round that it was on it's way and platform 4 at St Davids was packed by the time it arrived. I bagged a droplight in the second mk3 coach back and enjoyed my final Peak mainline journey looking at the cliffs (all the sea side windows were taken). Photo at the bottom (not mine obviously).
50149 + 50042, 28/05/88. I only did these along the sea wall as there were NB 47s out that day. Basically 50042 on a Paignton working suffered a broken windscreen and luckily I was in the right place to get them. The only 50/1 and my favourite 50. Again absolutely rammed with bashers. There's a photo down the bottom taken by Colin Marsden.
33 and 50 double header up the bank to Exeter Central. I know it's only three quarters of a mile and I can't even remember which ones they were apart from that the 50 was in original NSE. I think it was 1987.
What sticks in the mind though was the two drivers chuckling away to each other, discussing each others respective steeds (one of them was known locally as being quite a lively driver), before the green signal came on and they sauntered over to their respective cabs. The magic 'RA' came on and what followed was the fastest and most noisiest ascent of the 1in37 that I've ever experienced. We ripped into the platform at Central at some speed, screeched to a halt and then our friend in the 33 did the flailing hand signal to the other driver
. That was so cool.
There's others, but I know all of mine and I'd love to hear everyone else's. Do it how you want. Top 3, top 5, doesn't matter
This is more about lasts or firsts or maybe unusual things that you've experienced.
(Photos are only in black and white because I couldn't find any colour ones)
.This was basically inspired by, for example 55013s story about being in the right place to get a steaming 25080 one evening, also some of the stories Keith, LSG and others have told.
I thought of a few of mine and here they are in no particular order, sorry if this has been done before but it's always nice to have a bit of nostalgia.
So in no particular order:
45113, 16/08/88 the last Peak on a passenger service in Devon (pretty sure it was anyway). Word had got round that it was on it's way and platform 4 at St Davids was packed by the time it arrived. I bagged a droplight in the second mk3 coach back and enjoyed my final Peak mainline journey looking at the cliffs (all the sea side windows were taken). Photo at the bottom (not mine obviously).
50149 + 50042, 28/05/88. I only did these along the sea wall as there were NB 47s out that day. Basically 50042 on a Paignton working suffered a broken windscreen and luckily I was in the right place to get them. The only 50/1 and my favourite 50. Again absolutely rammed with bashers. There's a photo down the bottom taken by Colin Marsden.
33 and 50 double header up the bank to Exeter Central. I know it's only three quarters of a mile and I can't even remember which ones they were apart from that the 50 was in original NSE. I think it was 1987.
What sticks in the mind though was the two drivers chuckling away to each other, discussing each others respective steeds (one of them was known locally as being quite a lively driver), before the green signal came on and they sauntered over to their respective cabs. The magic 'RA' came on and what followed was the fastest and most noisiest ascent of the 1in37 that I've ever experienced. We ripped into the platform at Central at some speed, screeched to a halt and then our friend in the 33 did the flailing hand signal to the other driver
There's others, but I know all of mine and I'd love to hear everyone else's. Do it how you want. Top 3, top 5, doesn't matter

This is more about lasts or firsts or maybe unusual things that you've experienced.
(Photos are only in black and white because I couldn't find any colour ones)