politicfool
Member
- Joined
- 7 Jan 2010
- Messages
- 28
I'll be travelling next week Richmond - Taunton using an off-peak return as it's for work and I'm not able to commit to specific trains.
On the return portion the plans are not yet clear so I may return directly to Richmond (changing at Reading) or I might want to stay on the train all the way to Paddington (if I have meetings in central London for instance).
The off peak return Richmond - Taunton is £80.00 but does not give the needed flexibility. The off peak return Reading - Taunton (£66.00) and then separate tickets bought on the day for Richmond - Reading (£13.70) and Reading - London Terminals (£17.10) would give this flexibility but cost more.
I was thinking I'd buy the Richmond - Taunton return for £80 and take the outward portion as purchased. Then on the return if I decide to travel to Paddington, ask the Taunton station ticket office to excess my Taunton - Richmond return portion to Taunton - London Terminals instead (return cost £88.00).
Would this work? I have been reading a lot on this board about excess fares but never had to buy one myself so wanted to make sure my head is screwed on straight.
What would be the best way to manage this where return plans are not certain? Is an excess possible once the outward portion has already been taken?
On the return portion the plans are not yet clear so I may return directly to Richmond (changing at Reading) or I might want to stay on the train all the way to Paddington (if I have meetings in central London for instance).
The off peak return Richmond - Taunton is £80.00 but does not give the needed flexibility. The off peak return Reading - Taunton (£66.00) and then separate tickets bought on the day for Richmond - Reading (£13.70) and Reading - London Terminals (£17.10) would give this flexibility but cost more.
I was thinking I'd buy the Richmond - Taunton return for £80 and take the outward portion as purchased. Then on the return if I decide to travel to Paddington, ask the Taunton station ticket office to excess my Taunton - Richmond return portion to Taunton - London Terminals instead (return cost £88.00).
Would this work? I have been reading a lot on this board about excess fares but never had to buy one myself so wanted to make sure my head is screwed on straight.
What would be the best way to manage this where return plans are not certain? Is an excess possible once the outward portion has already been taken?