• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue protection route awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,568
Location
Surrey
It seems that an acquaintance of mine travelled on a normal ticket from Egham to Windsor earlier today. This quite routine journey involves a change from an up Waterloo to a down Windsor train at Staines. A revenue protection team encountered between Egham and Staines tried to claim that the ticket wasn't valid "because this train doesn't call at Windsor"! Is this lack of route awareness / travel patterns to be expected on SWT?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
What happened before/after this? Please do share the full story rather a snippet.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,568
Location
Surrey
What happened before/after this? Please do share the full story rather a snippet.
AIUI, the passenger bought the ticket before boarding the train. When challenged, an explanation was given which was accepted. As a third party who isn't a regular SWT passenger, it just seems odd that this was necessary.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
This is probably nothing more than a simple misunderstanding (or forgetting the exact geography between two points, or a relatively new member of staff, or suchlike…)
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,365
I once got told off on an EMR service for having a ticket from Bedford to St. Albans City as I "was supposed to be on Thameslink".

So I explained that I knew this train didn't call at St. Albans and I was getting off at Luton. Expected that to be the end of it, but nope. I was then told that I was going past St. Albans to come back to Luton, and that wasn't allowed. The inspector's colleague had noticed she'd been with me for longer than would be normal, so made his way down to check everything was OK. At this point the inspector realised her mistake, apologised and that was the end of it. Her colleague arrived and asked what was happening, she explained and the three of us had a laugh about it and they moved on.

Almost certainly human error in this case, as alluded to above. I would expect RPIs to have a reasonable knowledge of their usual patch, but they may well get deployed elsewhere, so wouldn't be as familiar with other areas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top