• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue protection officer only took down postcode

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
Hi,

I was caught today at the Oxford station ticket barrier after evading approximately 10 fares when travelling between Oxford & Reading over the last 2 months. The revenue protection officer was GWR from memory. (I believe they run the barriers at Oxford?)

Understandably ashamed but obviously fully complied and im waiting for the verification letter. My main concern is that my address, the one the officer took down, was incomplete / wrong. I only have memory of him asking for my Name, DoB, Number, Email, City and Postcode. He also took a few pictures of my ticket history.

My main questions are:
  1. Should I be concerned / making an active effort to ensure GWR have the correct address / where will they get the address from? (The tickets were bought through trainline, the address is correct on there, as is the billing address on my card.)
  2. How long, on average, is the wait for the verification letter (I understand this may have no real answer). And at what point should I be concerned it could've been sent to the wrong address. (Should this even be a concern?).
  3. If I was to contact GWR what is the best way to do so? And should it be done so soon.
To add, a friend of mine revealed to me they were caught recently too and hasnt recieved any communication for over 2 weeks.

If you have any other advicd / insight into timelines and how it works that sould be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tatitiliti

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2025
Messages
236
Location
Newark
You won’t hear in two weeks - they have up to 6 months to send a notice of intended prosecution and often skirt very close to that deadline.

If they just took your postcode, they are likely to be able to find out your house number from your ticket purchase history.

The key question is: Did you provide any false details when you were stopped or were they just incomplete? If so, which false detail(s) did you provide specifically?

When you get a letter, post it here with your details redacted so we can assist further. Do not try contacting them first unless you gave false details - there is no point in doing their job for them.
 
Last edited:

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
Thank you for your reply,

No false info given. But that clears things up. If they are going to be skirting close to that deadline, I will be moving house before then. What is advised? A postal redirect?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
Thank you for your reply,

No false info given. But that clears things up. If they are going to be skirting close to that deadline, I will be moving house before then. What is advised? A postal redirect?
Were you given anything like a slip of paper with a reference number by the inspector?
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,359
They may have taken postcode and door number? The system used at GWR for verification of details requires Name, DOB, door number and postcode, the rest comes up when that is entered.
 

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
I don't recall a door number being taken. In the event it was, or if it was wrong - what is the best way to submit this information / get it changed / checked.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
It is a tad. Is it best to just sit tight? Or contact them after a few weeks?
Bit of a lengthy post to follow but hopefully some of this will be useful and adds to the good advice already given.

The general advice below should help you understand the process and how to prepare for that / how to deal with it - but post as many questions as you want for clarification.

Info might also help your friend who you mentioned being caught a couple of weeks ago.

- Apart from if you move address, it's probably not worth contacting them until about 4 months from now (and there are pros and cons to that - so make a note in your diary to head back here for advice on that in 4 months if you have not already heard.

- As you might appreciate, what has happened is the first stage to potentially being prosecuted in court for fare evasion - but as you will see below it's usually possible to avoid this by co-operating with them - and the vital part of that starts with receiving the letter / or e-mail communication that they will usually send in due course, and responding to it appropriately.

- Ref clarifying your current postal address, they may already have enough to get it as mentioned above - but if you want to do that then you can do so (but I would leave it a week to 14 days so that any report taken by the staff can get uploaded at the back office or they will find it hard to match things up) - if you do decide to do that keep any communication just to the basics ref the address - do not get into any of the detail about what happened / why / excuses etc at this stage

so it would be something like:

If they took your date of birth you could include that in any message as it would presumably help match up the message with their record, esp if you have a relatively common name

------------------------------
To:
Contact our Prosecutions department
Email: GWRProsecutions@gwr.com



Dear Sir/ Madam

I was stopped on x date at y location and questioned about the validity of my rail ticket.

I would like to check you have accurate contact details for me so that I can respond to anything you may need to send me about this incident.

Please note my correct name and address is: …..

My e-mail address is:

Yours faithfully

-----------------------------

When you change address:

Formal stuff that you need to deal with about this (esp if in worst case scenario it came from a court) would be hard copy - so as mentioned above it's wise to set up a Postal Redirection but you can also contact them to advise of a change of address - again - keep it to the basics eg


Dear Sir/ Madam

Reference number (insert this from any receipt slip you have)

I was stopped on x date at y location and questioned about the validity of my rail ticket.

Please note I am due to change address soon.

My address was (the address given when questioned):

My new address as of x date is: .......

My e-mail address is:........

Please can any letters be sent to my new address so that I can respond to them

Yours faithfully

---------------------------------

Other preparation you can do now

A - Have a good read of the GWR Revenue Protection policy on how they deal with these things - see the pdf here - it also includes ways to contact them and their general approach

www.gwr.com/-/media/gwr-sc-website/files/revenue-protection-policy/GWR-Revenue-Protection-Policy-January-2023.pdf


B - If they agree to settle it out of court (which is usually possible to achieve) then they will want paying for the fares they believe you have avoided, plus an admin fee for investigating all this. So check your on line ticket purchasing to look for fares you know do not reflect your actual travel (do not delete your on line ticket buying account as it puts you at a disadvantage not to also be able to check those details during the process that will now happen)

You say you have evaded about 10 fares. Check that is correct as I suspect people often underestimate this sort of thing.

The sum they are likely to want in respect of those fares is the Anytime single fare for each one way journey - that is £19.50 Anytime Single Oxford to Reading

C - Start saving up the money you will need whilst you wait for them to contact you.


Finally - Here is the general advice I mentioned above for you to look over

Firstly, you committed a criminal offence by travelling with an invalid ticket and railway companies are entitled to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court if they want to. The good news is they will normally offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate with them and who haven't come to their attention before.

Next, what happens is the railway company will write to you. The letter will go to the address that you gave them / on any of your ID they checked so you need to be able to access hard copy post at that address as they often send things that way (but also check e-mail and spam). It is extremely important that you reply, and you'll only have a limited time to do so (often 14 days from the date on their communication).

When you receive the letter post a redacted copy of it in this thread, along with your draft reply and forum members will proof read it for you. You'll find lots of example letters you can use in this section of the forum but the reply basically needs to mention:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident and will not do this again
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the railway company’s administrative costs in dealing with the matter

The railway will probably offer you an out of court settlement. Expect to have to pay the cost of the fare for the journey you made at the full Anytime rate with no credit given for the invalid ticket you purchased. In addition they will charge an admin fee, typically £150. They will also audit your online ticket purchase history and if this shows you've purchased other tickets that were not valid (eg railcard discounted tickets when you did not have a valid railcard, or tickets for only part of the journey, or tickets bought after boarding the train you travelled on) they will probably factor the cost of these journeys into the settlement offer. Depending on how many journeys you've made over the period concerned this could end up being expensive.

Settlements usually have to be paid in full within a few days of them being offered so if money is tight you might want to think about how you will raise the sum required at short notice.
 
Last edited:

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
This is excellent advice, thank you. Based on my calculations and history, it is 10 return journeys I dodged, by my count i'm expecting to pay 20 single tickets + admin fee (~£550 - £600 total).

My main concern now is less so the money side and more ensuring I recieve the first letter. The 14 day window sounds reasonable, i'll likely send an email similar to your example at that point to ensure i've done all I can. As I dont have a reference number, what do you recommend for subject lines? Any important information to include?

How likely is it that I will recieve an email communication instead of / along with the letter? The protection officer took my phone number & email.

If possible, could you also re-send the PDF, it returns a 404 error. Thank you.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
This is excellent advice, thank you. Based on my calculations and history, it is 10 return journeys I dodged, by my count i'm expecting to pay 20 single tickets + admin fee (~£550 - £600 total).
Sounds about right sort of sum
My main concern now is less so the money side and more ensuring I recieve the first letter. The 14 day window sounds reasonable, i'll likely send an email similar to your example at that point to ensure i've done all I can. As I dont have a reference number, what do you recommend for subject lines? Any important information to include?

If your priority is to co-operate and resolve this sooner rather than later then yes send them something in a couple of weeks. I guess the key thing is to give them as much info to match the info that was taken on the day so they can easily find you on their system and check that info is all correct for them to use when your case gets to the front of the queue

Subject line - maybe '<your name> correct contact information after questioning at x station on y date

How likely is it that I will recieve an email communication instead of / along with the letter? The protection officer took my phone number & email.

Not sure - they usually send this stuff by post but I guess they may also decide e-mail might be more efficient. You need to be prepared for both letter hard copy or e-mail.

Formal court stuff would always be by post (but you are a long way off that yet)

If possible, could you also re-send the PDF, it returns a 404 error. Thank you.
Sorry I didn't check my link (copied it from a previous saved list) - interestingly the policy looks revised a fair bit and the 'tone' of the language looks a bit 'firmer' from what I recall - used to be a glossy booklet with a picture of a GWR train on front cover - which you could also get from leaflet racks in GWR ticket offices - where you maybe still find them
I see it has a recent date

try


from this page



Also - be aware that as mentioned they have 6 months to bring a criminal case in magistrates court, they have 6 years to pursue owed fares in the county court as a debt (civil case?). So even if the 6 months elapsed without anything happening there is still a prospect of GWR using the court debt route - we do see these from GWR here even up to say 2 years after the event with people being written to or e-mailed out of the blue. But that's far less serious than a criminal court action against you.

Just so you are aware in case it happened - you are way off that at this point so no need to think about it now
If you settled this matter out of court now, and paid other evaded fares as part of the settlement - they would not be coming back for more money later in my view.

But do keep copies of everything related to this - including what you send them and what they send you - even basic change of address messages and replies / auto acknowledgments, and be prepared to keep them long term.
 
Last edited:

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
Priority is definitely to cooperate - this is also all great advice for my friend too. I will reply here when/if I recieve any communications & when I have sent the email.

If the worst case scenario happens, said letters are sent to the wrong address and I miss the 21 day window - id assume this email will be a paper trail and hopefully put me in a stronger position should I need to explain why they had no reply.

Thank you once again.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
Priority is definitely to cooperate - this is also all great advice for my friend too. I will reply here when/if I recieve any communications & when I have sent the email.

If the worst case scenario happens, said letters are sent to the wrong address and I miss the 21 day window - id assume this email will be a paper trail and hopefully put me in a stronger position should I need to explain why they had no reply.

Thank you once again.
Yes. A paper trail for that scenario if eg they said ‘it’s been escalated to court because we never had a reply to our letter of xx date’

If you search other GWR threads you’ll find the typical letter they usually send as someone will have uploaded one.
You can often work out timescales in which it was sent too.
 

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
Yes. A paper trail for that scenario if eg they said ‘it’s been escalated to court because we never had a reply to our letter of xx date’

If you search other GWR threads you’ll find the typical letter they usually send as someone will have uploaded one.
You can often work out timescales in which it was sent too.
Great. Hopefully this thread provides some best practice for any others in a similar situation.

That being said, best practice is to not avoid the fares in the first place!

Many thanks.
 

Chiltern 165

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2024
Messages
129
Location
London
Is giving GWR a new address (therefore reminder about you) the best idea?

Would paying for a postal redirect potentially be better?
 

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
Well I have nothing to hide and im fully prepared to own up and pay so a "reminder" is a non-issue. when I leave my current place I will be paying for a postal re-direct.

The Issue I have is ensuring they send the first letter to the correct place. Im pretty sure they have the correct details / will be able to find them, but it doesnt hurt to be extra sure.

On the off chance I miss the letter / its sent to the incorrect place, I need to be able to prove i've done everything in my power to recieve said letter. The alternative could result in a criminal charge & record which, in my opinion, is far worse than a monetary hit.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
Is giving GWR a new address (therefore reminder about you) the best idea?

Would paying for a postal redirect potentially be better?
Well this is the trade off.
But the railway companies don’t just forget about people if details were genuinely taken I don’t think.

And if this escalated to court without the person knowing about it, which is what automatically happens if letters are not engaged with, the process to then unwind that (statutory declaration process) is complicated and time consuming and in my view better avoided to start with.
 

Chiltern 165

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2024
Messages
129
Location
London
But the railway companies don’t just forget about people if details were genuinely taken I don’t think.
I think we get it occasionally though?
And if this escalated to court without the person knowing about it, which is what automatically happens if letters are not engaged with, the process to then unwind that (statutory declaration process) is complicated and time consuming and in my view better avoided to start with.
Perhaps, but I don't think many/any TOCs are militant enough to not try emailing the person as well (unless they don't have their email address).
 

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
I think we get it occasionally though?

Perhaps, but I don't think many/any TOCs are militant enough to not try emailing the person as well (unless they don't have their email address).
Well this is quite soothing, especially as they took my number & email. I will be staying cautious however.
 

Chiltern 165

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2024
Messages
129
Location
London
Well this is quite soothing, especially as they took my number & email. I will be staying cautious however.
You do not have much to worry about. Taking you to prosecution is of little to no interest to a railway. The court collects the fine, meaning the railway get no money, while an out of court settlement means the railway collects the money.

Prosecution generally only happens if the railway wants to send a message to a prolific offender, you were caught on Transport for London / London Underground (they only prosecute), or if cooperation / an out of court settlement is being refused.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Is giving GWR a new address (therefore reminder about you) the best idea?

Would paying for a postal redirect potentially be better?
When a postal redirect is set up a letter is sent to the old address. If a letter arrived at my house about a postal redirection for someone who had absolutely no connection with my house I would be asking some questions.
 

bdavids23

Member
Joined
16 Sep 2026
Messages
11
Location
Reading
Thanks everyone, the opinions are valuable. I think i'll find a sort of middleground between it all but I believe the general consensus seems to be not to worry too much, but prepare for the worst.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
I think we get it occasionally
Yes, I agree. But suspect some of those are instances where details haven’t actually been taken.
But It is an option to just rely on the redirection.
But if you actively want to try and resolve it then telling them how to contact you helps.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks everyone, the opinions are valuable. I think i'll find a sort of middleground between it all but I believe the general consensus seems to be not to worry too much, but prepare for the worst.
Probably a reasonable way of looking at it.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,770
The court collects the fine, meaning the railway get no money,
The railway company will receive their costs and any compensation awarded by the court, and these are paid on top of the fine by the person convicted.
 

Tazi Hupefi

On Moderation
Joined
1 Apr 2018
Messages
1,931
Location
Nottinghamshire
The railway company will receive their costs and any compensation awarded by the court, and these are paid on top of the fine by the person convicted.
This.

Also note that the revenue risk and revenue generated goes to the Treasury (or local authorities like TfL, Merseyrail etc) in any event, so it's somewhat immaterial whether that money comes in via HMCTS (court) or DfT (train operator).
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,280
The railway company will receive their costs and any compensation awarded by the court, and these are paid on top of the fine by the person convicted.
Indeed point well made - tho I suspect the railway might get a bit more money, for less work and effort, by going down the out of court route than the more formalised court prosecution route, for passengers who engage with that.
This.

Also note that the revenue risk and revenue generated goes to the Treasury (or local authorities like TfL, Merseyrail etc) in any event, so it's somewhat immaterial whether that money comes in via HMCTS (court) or DfT (train operator).
Yes, but I would imagine there is some internal accounting that incentivises the railway to get it on their own balance sheet, rather than take the view that 'it doesn't much matter because it all goes to the Treasury one way or another' - my experience of public sector bodies is that they are quite silo'd and none more so than when it comes to money / budget allocations and 'whose money it is' as it were - even if ultimately it's 'the government' it its many guises.

Anyway - risk of going off topic so to give a view that may help the OP with context :

Suffice to say that from what we see here it seems to me that many train companies are keen to resolve matters in a straightforward way out of court for passengers who are not prolific serial offenders, and who engage with the railway over paying what the railway believes they owe.

In fact (with the exception of TfL that take a different approach and state as much in published policy) the cases we see here that end up in court are ones where the passenger who did not have the correct ticket has either
a) buried their head in the sand as to what might happen and failed to engage until court action has started / finished or
b) never got correspondence because they moved address without making arrangements for their post or post was unreliable etc
c) plus a small number who have tried to give the railway the run around / or lied, and the train company has lost patience
 

Top