• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue Protection Inspector Role Play Exercise (RPI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincrash4

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
6
Hi, I have a 2nd interview for a company and I have to partake in a role play that involves a Revenue Protection Inspector Role Play Exercise (RPI). I had a look on the opc website who performs the test but I was just wondering if anyone had partaken in one before and if they could give any pointers? I'm doing as much work as I possible can for this interview and I don't want to leave any stone unturned for my prep work.

Thanks if anyone can help!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Hi, I have a 2nd interview for a company and I have to partake in a role play that involves a Revenue Protection Inspector Role Play Exercise (RPI). I had a look on the opc website who performs the test but I was just wondering if anyone had partaken in one before and if they could give any pointers? I'm doing as much work as I possible can for this interview and I don't want to leave any stone unturned for my prep work.

Thanks if anyone can help!

Which TOC is this for? Not all have the same themes of role plays but they will be similar. Mostly a confrontational situation where they want to see if you can calmly and professionally handle it whilst maintaining control.
 

captaincrash4

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2013
Messages
6
Its for Edinburgh Trams. I figured it would be dealing with a passenger that had an invalid ticket and I had to deal with the situation in a positive manner .
 
Last edited:

alex595

Member
Joined
30 Nov 2011
Messages
54
I did mine for Southern Trains. My scenario was: I was on board a train currently being held at a red signal. I had been approached by some passengers who complained about a youth who was playing loud music. He was rude to passengers.
I had to deal with the complaints and check his ticket.

So on approach I saw a male who was sitting in a 2+2 seating area. He was sitting with his feet on the opposite chair. He also had a stero which Was Playing loud music. l asked to check his ticket. He was rude and unhappy due to the train being held at a red signal. throughout. this no Information was being passed from driver to Passengers. he had no ticket,and therefore had to deal With it accordingly along with get his feet off Seats and music off
 

alex595

Member
Joined
30 Nov 2011
Messages
54
Did you pass Alex? How did they expect you to act?

Well before the role play, they gave us all information relating to penalty fares which we had to remember for the role play. We were able to make notes, but not too much.

They wanted me to act firm but understanding. Ensure customer service is given and then move to the checking tickets.

So I went in and the guy like i said above was rude and simply unhappy with the delay. He was swearing. Firstly I asked him if he could move his feet off the chair so I could sit down so I was out of the aisle which therefore dealt with the feet on the chair. I asked him If he could turn the music down so I could speak to him. He made a fuss and I just had to persuade him to turn it down, eventually he did so.

I informed him that passengers were unhappy with the loud music and I requested if he could use ear phones or to turn it off completely. He started complaining about the delay and the fact that the train is delayed. He was unhappy also with the lack of announcements informing him and others of the delay. Whilst understanding his position, I informed him that I would go and find out and see what the problem was. However before doing so, could I check his ticket. He said he didn't have one.

Due to the delay and the inconvenienced caused, I decided to issue him with a ticket rather then make him more unhappy and potentially make the situation worse by issuing a penalty fare. However when asking if he could pay for a ticket, he began complaining once again. i had to persuade him and brought the fact that others have paid for the same service that he is using and therefore should purchase a ticket. Eventually he did so.
I then went to find out more information.

End of Role Play.


Yes I passed. Southern Railway did it in a assessment day. About 6 Assessments thought the day, after the role play, they would ask the people that failed to leave, then the next 2 and so on.

If there is anything more that you want to know, just ask. Ill try help.
 

JSB

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
21
That's really interesting, I didn't even know you could issue tickets on board a train anymore. Be good to keep in mind if any RP exercises emerge that I have to do. I always feel like I will get stuff wrong.
 

alex595

Member
Joined
30 Nov 2011
Messages
54
That's really interesting, I didn't even know you could issue tickets on board a train anymore. Be good to keep in mind if any RP exercises emerge that I have to do. I always feel like I will get stuff wrong.

Yeah. We can issue tickets/ Penalty Fares or take statements and report it to prosecutions. But many dont issue tickets unless we are told to or we have had notification of unavailable facilities or if passenger is travelling from non-PF stns.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top