• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue Protection Inspector Assessment FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackfrost

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2014
Messages
46
Hey everyone...first post!

I've been invited to attend an assessment for an RPI position with FGW, I just wanted some pointers on what kind of assessments to expect on the day. Now I've had RPO assessments with Southern 3 times in the past, unfortunately failing 3 times as well and on the same test (Numerical Reasoning), so should I expect the same tests with FGW? Memory test, role play, numerical reasoning, ticket selling, ticket checking and report writing? Also what's the pay for RPI's with FGW? At the station I work one of them told me there on at least £30k, is this true? The vacancy didn't give any details, but this seems a bit farfetched for staff who only check tickets and since apparently trainee conductors are on about £27k (according to the vacancy I applied for a few weeks ago)

I've also passed a telephone interview with FGW for a trainee conductor (I'd rather get this job tbh!), now I've passed this with Southern and got through to the interview stage. After the telephone interview I told the interviewee this he said he'd make a note of it blah blah blah, so would that mean I skip the assessment stage?

Lastly, do FGW do CRB checks on new employees?
Thanks guys!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
RPIs with most TOCs are one at least 30k a year. They don't just check tickets as you put it, although some would like that very much. Also, a lot of RPIs aren't worth the 30k a year salary unfortunately. RPIs are PACE trained and are expected to report people for offences with the possibility of attending court as a witness. They also issue Penalty Fares and sometimes sell tickets. The TOC I work for has RPIs and RPAs. RPAs aren't PACE trained although they can still report people for offences, just not question under caution as RPIs would. They get about 25k a year.

I can almost certainly say that FGW DO conduct a CRB check on their staff, as do most companies these days. They're actually DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks now though. The level of check depends on the role. You'd probably be subject to a basic disclosure rather than enhanced.
 
Last edited:

blackfrost

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2014
Messages
46
Thanks for the info! Well I emailed FGW HR about the RPI assessment considering that I haven't been sent any practice materials, I really don't know what to expect!
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Thanks for the info! Well I emailed FGW HR about the RPI assessment considering that I haven't been sent any practice materials, I really don't know what to expect!

Not sure if the recruitment process for this role has changed, but when I applied for FGW RPI at Reading a bit over a year ago, it was online tests first and then a formal interview, no assessments at an assessment centre. Unless they come later after the interview (which I unfortunately failed).
 

blackfrost

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2014
Messages
46
Excellent! Thanks UrbanGateline! I'm gonna ask around and try and get more info from RPIs themselves so I know what to expect
 

MyFriendMary

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2014
Messages
108
Which region did you apply for and out of which depot?

If it was the Central region and either Westbury or Bristol Temple Meads let me know and I'll see if I can ask one of them any questions you have when I next see them.
 

blackfrost

Member
Joined
4 Jun 2014
Messages
46
Which region did you apply for and out of which depot?

If it was the Central region and either Westbury or Bristol Temple Meads let me know and I'll see if I can ask one of them any questions you have when I next see them.

I applied for the south east/west region they gave a choice of depots, so I chose Redhill and Reading
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top