• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return trip to Dunbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Today, I went for a rare journey completely by train - 495 miles to be precise. The aim was just to scratch 95 of those inbetween Dunbar and Newcastle.

This morning, Queens Park in London had a sneeze with signalling problems so Virgin Trains caught the flu meaning my 0938 was cancelled and became a requisitioned Blackpool North bound service which arrived at 0952.

After Lancaster, some guys in suits did the tried and tested technique of grabbing a table seat by claiming it was their reserved seat. As I was caught unawares and the other person moved, there was no chance to double-check by asking if they did have their coupon with them. The train service was brand new from Preston so all of the electronic reservations would be void. I did move and as I did, a baby started wailing in the carriage. Do enjoy chaps.

Edinburgh was reached pretty quickly at about 12.30 allowing about 40 minutes to have a little walk around and encounter a rip-off artisan baker trying to flog pastries for £5.60 each!!

My XC bound train left promptly at 1307 calling at Dunbar, Alnmouth and Newcastle. I enjoyed the view of the East Coast to go with Morecambe Bay earlier. In particular, Lindisfarne, Bammburgh Castle and the town of Alnmouth are a delight.

We get to Newcastle and I aim for my kind of price and pay for a pastry and latte in Greggs opposite. I pause my journey more by having a quick walk to Manors and the Tyne Bridge. I note Manors having a much better service than I recall as I was at the platform with 3 commuters.

On my way back, I spy a LNER service heading towards the station so I try and catch it with a couple of minutes to spare.

The journey feels long because I'm not sure how faraway Durham, Darlington and York are from each other.

No sooner am I off the train at York, I am sprinting to P4 for the Transpennine Crawler to Manchester Victoria which becomes a Sardine Can on departure at Leeds. We crawl until Mirfield and after Huddersfield, wait at Marsden before we get the nod for another 3/4-pelt into Manchester. I feel for these commuters.

At Manchester Victoria, I have my choice of crush-loaded delayed platforms to despair on. In about 17 minutes, I have seen the first train heading to Salford Crescent which arrives with a same-platform exchange to a Piccadilly-Southport service that gets me back to Wigan by 1947ish.

Not bad for £73.15 or ~14p/mile.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top