railfail101101
Member
Going to keep this as anonymous as possible.
So, basically I worked out that buying a return ticket in reverse works out cheaper. E.g. if my station is X and im travelling to Y, I would buy a return ticket from Y to X. This would mean I would need to use my outbound journey as my return journey but it wouldnt work on the barriers.
The first time it happened it was a genuine accident and I showed the Revenue Officer what happened and he said it was fine. This lead me to believe that because I had a ticket which covered both directions of my journey which the Rev Officer was fine with it and I’d simply stumbled onto a glitch in the trainline app. Ive done this now many times and each time the Rev Off let me through the barriers with no issue. Theyve scanned the tickets at the departure station, on the train and at the arrival station and its never been an issue… not even a “dont do that again”. There are always Rev Offs at both the station I depart from and arrive at and every time I have had an encounter with them and they let me through.
Recently (not saying the day haha) I got a penalty fine and was told that by using the return ticket first I am making the outbound ticket invalid. I paid the penalty fine but am worried that it will result in them checking my trainline account further and seeing all the other journeys in my account and taking further action.
Is this likely to happen? They cant prove I actually used the tickets, but its pretty obvious I used them unless I claim to have either cycled down the motorway or learned to fly.
Would the fact that previous Rev Offs allowed me to use the ticket in this way help my defence?
Would the fact that Ive paid the penalty fine help, as it means the case is closed on the only invalid ticket that ive been caught using?
I haven’t been sent a notice of investigation but want to be prepared in case i do.
Thanks everyone for your advice
So, basically I worked out that buying a return ticket in reverse works out cheaper. E.g. if my station is X and im travelling to Y, I would buy a return ticket from Y to X. This would mean I would need to use my outbound journey as my return journey but it wouldnt work on the barriers.
The first time it happened it was a genuine accident and I showed the Revenue Officer what happened and he said it was fine. This lead me to believe that because I had a ticket which covered both directions of my journey which the Rev Officer was fine with it and I’d simply stumbled onto a glitch in the trainline app. Ive done this now many times and each time the Rev Off let me through the barriers with no issue. Theyve scanned the tickets at the departure station, on the train and at the arrival station and its never been an issue… not even a “dont do that again”. There are always Rev Offs at both the station I depart from and arrive at and every time I have had an encounter with them and they let me through.
Recently (not saying the day haha) I got a penalty fine and was told that by using the return ticket first I am making the outbound ticket invalid. I paid the penalty fine but am worried that it will result in them checking my trainline account further and seeing all the other journeys in my account and taking further action.
Is this likely to happen? They cant prove I actually used the tickets, but its pretty obvious I used them unless I claim to have either cycled down the motorway or learned to fly.
Would the fact that previous Rev Offs allowed me to use the ticket in this way help my defence?
Would the fact that Ive paid the penalty fine help, as it means the case is closed on the only invalid ticket that ive been caught using?
I haven’t been sent a notice of investigation but want to be prepared in case i do.
Thanks everyone for your advice