• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Return portion of open return clipped in error on outbound journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Good evening

This weekend I travelled to Plymouth using a combination of tickets, one of which was a Tiverton Parkway to Plymouth off-peak return.

I travelled to Plymouth on Friday 10 October on an XC service. When the guard came round I showed him the TVP-PLY SVR. He clipped (what I assumed) was the outward portion, but as I was preoccupied reading a book I simply took the tickets and replaced them in my wallet. The outward portion was retained by the gateline assistant at Plymouth. On this occasion, I used the wide access gate, and due to the volume of passengers leaving the station the assistant retained any unwanted tickets.

On my return journey on an XC service, the guard carried out a ticket check. She stated that the PLY-TVP had been date-stamped as 10 October, making it appear as though I had travelled in that direction on that day. Despite showing the guard the other tickets I would be using to complete my journey, the guard stated I needed to buy a PLY-TVP single (CDS). As I did not have the outward TVP-PLY ticket to show in my defence, I bought a CDS, with 16-25 railcard discount.


Now, what are my chances of being refunded £6.40? (the cost of the PLY-TVP CDS.) The guard on the service to Plymouth made a mistake (which could be a very expensive mistake) but I don't know whether I'd have a leg to stand on, especially as the TVP-PLY portion was retained at Plymouth gateline.

Any advice would be welcome, especially as this is a staff training issue.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I don't agree it's a training issue (if anything it's a training issue for you: only hand over the correct portion in future ;)); it was simply a mistake of clipping the wrong portion.

It has happened to most of us at some time or another, and when I handed over the wrong portion of a ticket a couple of months ago (Sheffield-Kent) I had to write off that ticket as far as Chesterfield.

As you didn't spot it at the time, I don't think there is anything you can do. You could write to XC and they might send you a gesture of goodwill, possibly.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
Did the stamp contain only the date, or were there other identifiers?

The stamp gave the date, along with the numbers '0098' and 'XC 01690'.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't agree it's a training issue (if anything it's a training issue for you: only hand over the correct portion in future ;)); it was simply a mistake of clipping the wrong portion.

It has happened to most of us at some time or another, and when I handed over the wrong portion of a ticket a couple of months ago (Sheffield-Kent) I had to write off that ticket as far as Chesterfield.

As you didn't spot it at the time, I don't think there is anything you can do. You could write to XC and they might send you a gesture of goodwill, possibly.

Ok, I'm probably overreacting there! I normally show both portions of a return ticket on the outward and return parts of a journey.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
The stamp gave the date, along with the numbers '0098' and 'XC 01690'.
It's worth writing in then, as those identifiers should corroborate your statement.

Ok, I'm probably overreacting there! I normally show both portions of a return ticket on the outward and return parts of a journey.
The guard is only going to be interested in the relevant portion, so just show that.

Handing over both portions is totally unnecessary and is predictably going to lead to errors such as this occasionally.

On your outward journey, have the return available in your wallet in the highly unlikely event you are asked to show it.
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Indeed, you are technically required to show the return portion of a ticket for it to be valid on an outward journey. I've only ever seen videos of RPIs asking to see it, though, never a normal guard.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
On your outward journey, have the return available in your wallet in the highly unlikely event you are asked to show it.

You will normally only be asked to show the return portion if you are travelling on the outward portion of an Anytime Open Return and you are on the second or subsequent day of that portion's validitity.

That said if you are travelling on a short distance Day Return and it has been theoretically possible for you to have made two or more return trips since the issue time of your ticket then you may, and I stress may be asked to show the unused return.

As yorkie states above in any case I would not present more than the ticket required at that time - other tickets should be kept handy for any further clarification as required.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I've never had any problem in handing over the relevant ticket to the guard with one hand, and keeping any others I have in my other hand. I always put my book or whatever down for a ticket inspection.
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
Not the first time an XC guard hasn't bothered to look at the ticket before marking it!
If we look at the facts it could be seen as an innocent error on both sides, so would probably result in stalemate, essentially you lose.

How did you get onto the platform at Plymouth if you did not have a ticket with origin of the same?
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
UPDATE:

I received the following email from XC Customer Relations today:

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your recent email regarding your journey from Tiverton Parkway to Plymouth on 10 October 2014.

It was disappointing to read that the ticket inspector clipped the outward and return ticket. It is the customers responsibility to make sure that you check your tickets if there are any discrepancies. We do advise for you to speak to the train manager at the time of the incident who can then advise you what to do next.

I am happy to offer you £6.40 in rail travel vouchers for the additional ticket you had to purchase. Would you be so kind to send me your address details as a reply to this email, I can then arrange for the vouchers to be sent out to you.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXX
Customer Relations Consultant
CrossCountry

Looks like my complaint was worth it.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
We've all done it. I usually endorse the ticket when I notice i've done it, saying what date, time and service so if an RPI withdraws it for further investigation at a later date I'll be able to be tracked down to confirm. Mind you, that has never happened yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top