• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retail and COVID19 - how well is it doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,720
Location
West Riding
Meadowhell near me seemed to be back in action the last time I paid it a visit.

At the end of August Meadowhall reported Like-for-like footfall growth for the first week since lockdown, which is impressive. Things have quietened down a little now but that is normal for September.

Footfall was down 37% in July in Meadowhall on last year. When I get Augusts figure I will let you know.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
I've seen this website linked to before. https://www.spring-board.info/benchmarks

Not sure how accurate the data is but this suggests footfall is still 20%+ down year on year. London still suffering.
Would imagine a not insignificant proportion of London trade is due to tourism, which I assume is very thin on the ground at the moment?
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,188
Can't find a thread that seems to fit this, so here's a new one.

Had the misfortune to find myself in MK Shopping Centre earlier, and my observations were that it was about as busy as a normal Saturday, so I guess there isn't much threat to the businesses there now unless the losses from closure etc were too much.

What have others observed in such places?
Cardiff and Liverpool are both heaving. The queues for the car parks in Cardiff are as bad as ever.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,413
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Would imagine a not insignificant proportion of London trade is due to tourism, which I assume is very thin on the ground at the moment?

Yes very much so IME. Both from abroad and from elsewhere in U.K. For example hardly anyone from the Home Counties seems to be doing day trips to London at the moment.
 

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,960
Location
Ely
Yes very much so IME. Both from abroad and from elsewhere in U.K. For example hardly anyone from the Home Counties seems to be doing day trips to London at the moment.

In my case certainly so - for many years I went to London at least once a week on average. Since mid-March I've only been once in total.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
In my case certainly so - for many years I went to London at least once a week on average. Since mid-March I've only been once in total.
Is there any particular reason for that since travel restrictions were lifted?
 

MikeWM

Established Member
Joined
26 Mar 2010
Messages
4,960
Location
Ely
Is there any particular reason for that since travel restrictions were lifted?

Usually my trips would be for shopping, cinemas or general travelling around - or some combination of the three.

For shopping, I've decided I prefer Norwich unless I'm trying to get something unusual. Most of the non-multiplex cinemas I'd usually go to have only just reopened or haven't yet - eg. the BFI only reopened last week, and the Prince Charles in Leicester Square isn't reopening until mid-October. And general travelling isn't as fun as it should be given masks and the general bossiness that's infesting the railways at the moment, so I've been doing less of it in general.

I expect an uptick going forward (quite possibly this weekend), but probably not back to previous levels.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
Completely agree with you regarding the masks and the unpleasant bossiness. I suspect a lot of people are not making journeys for the same reason.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,413
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Completely agree with you regarding the masks and the unpleasant bossiness. I suspect a lot of people are not making journeys for the same reason.

Very much the case for me. Not been on a train for leisure purposes since January, and not been on a train for non-work-related purposes since July now. Masks and related attitude very much the reason.
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,681
I suspect Argos is an older-person thing - younger people would order off Amazon which offers essentially the same service but delivered rather than from a shop.

On the other hand, Argos offers an immediate pickup, or at least allows you to pick up in a Sainsburys which is far more humane than waiting for a delivery driver to dump a parcel in the rain outside your flat a few days later.
 

janb

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2008
Messages
834
On the other hand, Argos offers an immediate pickup, or at least allows you to pick up in a Sainsburys which is far more humane than waiting for a delivery driver to dump a parcel in the rain outside your flat a few days later.

Argos does also offer really quick delivery (including evenings) for people without a car. Whether young people are aware of that I don't know (I'm 38 so I guess I don't qualify) but I have used several times to have an appliance/furniture with me same or next day. Not that that feature helps footfall in a brick and mortar store of course.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,721
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Argos does also offer really quick delivery (including evenings) for people without a car. Whether young people are aware of that I don't know (I'm 38 so I guess I don't qualify) but I have used several times to have an appliance/furniture with me same or next day. Not that that feature helps footfall in a brick and mortar store of course.

It's done from the physical stores in a Deliveroo-esque manner, so I guess it sort of does.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
It's done from the physical stores in a Deliveroo-esque manner, so I guess it sort of does.
Would love to see the cyclist / moped rider with a fridge-freezer on the back! (someone will now find a Youtube clip of exactly that, or refer me to the book 'around Ireland with a fridge').

Argos delivery is excellent. I ordered a new vacuum cleaner (Shark not Hoover) at around 1100 last week and it was delivered at 1430 the same day. The two-hour delivery slots have gone, replaced by am / pm / evening. Time range is 0700 to 2300, 7 days per week - most impressive.

I am rapidly proving that there is next to no need for bricks and mortar stores, providing you are capable of reading product descriptions and choosing appropriately. I can't believe some of the online reviews from people who clearly should not be allowed loose on the internet with a credit card. 62 deliveries to home since April, evenly split between Royal Mail and Amazon, with Tesco a distant third place (only in use since Maskification) and some distant also rans. As mentioned previously, the Argos delivery fee (flat £3.95) is less than the return bus fare to town. No mask, no queuing, no botheration. Just sit at home posting on RailUKforums and wait for the sound of the big white van outside. I also have Amazon Prime so do not need to worry about delivery charges if ordering below the £20 threshold. Last week they sent items worth £6.99 via Royal Mail 1200 next day delivery!
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Would love to see the cyclist / moped rider with a fridge-freezer on the back! (someone will now find a Youtube clip of exactly that, or refer me to the book 'around Ireland with a fridge').

Argos delivery is excellent. I ordered a new vacuum cleaner (Shark not Hoover) at around 1100 last week and it was delivered at 1430 the same day. The two-hour delivery slots have gone, replaced by am / pm / evening. Time range is 0700 to 2300, 7 days per week - most impressive.

I am rapidly proving that there is next to no need for bricks and mortar stores, providing you are capable of reading product descriptions and choosing appropriately. I can't believe some of the online reviews from people who clearly should not be allowed loose on the internet with a credit card. 62 deliveries to home since April, evenly split between Royal Mail and Amazon, with Tesco a distant third place (only in use since Maskification) and some distant also rans. As mentioned previously, the Argos delivery fee (flat £3.95) is less than the return bus fare to town. No mask, no queuing, no botheration. Just sit at home posting on RailUKforums and wait for the sound of the big white van outside. I also have Amazon Prime so do not need to worry about delivery charges if ordering below the £20 threshold. Last week they sent items worth £6.99 via Royal Mail 1200 next day delivery!

The actual Argos stores are bit pointless in the days of the interweb - a few token products on the shelves (which nobody looks at anyway), mainly just the desk things with the "laminated book of dreams". That you can just look at online.

To give credit to Argos, I think they are on the ball with evolving their format to not lose out to competing websites.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
The actual Argos stores are bit pointless in the days of the interweb - a few token products on the shelves (which nobody looks at anyway), mainly just the desk things with the "laminated book of dreams". That you can just look at online.

To give credit to Argos, I think they are on the ball with evolving their format to not lose out to competing websites.
Indeed, I remember the city centre store of old (Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent) which had a wide range of physical products on display. That went some time ago leaving it looking a little strange - the 'book of dreams' stands, the ordering pods, and lots of empty space. Now closed and replaced by an out-of-town emporium and some Sainsbury collection points. As my nearest Sainsbury's is twice as far from home as the nearest Argos store, I've never tried the click and collect service there. Reserve and collect from Argos is fine if I were going into town for some reason anyway.
 

Jamiescott1

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2019
Messages
1,116
The actual Argos stores are bit pointless in the days of the interweb - a few token products on the shelves (which nobody looks at anyway), mainly just the desk things with the "laminated book of dreams". That you can just look at online.

To give credit to Argos, I think they are on the ball with evolving their format to not lose out to competing websites.

.... and moving a bulk of their stores into sainsburys saves a ton on rent and rates
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,755
Location
Midlands
Regarding Argos I've just looked at the website and my local ' high street ' store is still closed although it was listed to reopen. However there are four Sainsburys store options within as many miles.


From the above posts I'm seemingly in a minority. Since face coverings became mandatory I've only been in Aldi or Tesco for my main weekly shop, Iceland twice and next shop there imminent, the local Post Office and once to a row of small shops close to work for a small tin of paint to avoid both the queue and inflated prices of B&Q.

I'm keeping a list of non-urgent items for Wilko and Poundland which will wait until one becomes needed imminently.
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
Regarding Argos I've just looked at the website and my local ' high street ' store is still closed although it was listed to reopen. However there are four Sainsburys store options within as many miles.


From the above posts I'm seemingly in a minority. Since face coverings became mandatory I've only been in Aldi or Tesco for my main weekly shop, Iceland twice and next shop there imminent, the local Post Office and once to a row of small shops close to work for a small tin of paint to avoid both the queue and inflated prices of B&Q.

I'm keeping a list of non-urgent items for Wilko and Poundland which will wait until one becomes needed imminently.
Since face-coverings became mandatory, I haven't been in a shop. Helen Dickinson OBE, Chief Executive of the British Retail Consortium, are you taking note!

Wilko deliver for £5. Not worth it for a single bottle of shampoo, but if you have a list already, and can buy for a few weeks ahead, it may be worth it by doing a big order. It would cost me £4 anyway to get to Wilko on the bus so only £1 extra for delivery. I did one Wilko order and the savings, compared to Tesco prices, made up for the £5 charge. Only downside is Hermes delivery - a fine example of the self-employed, chuck-it-over-the-hedge and vanish delivery model.
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,080
I think I'll stick to going in shops weekdays whilst still on furlough then!
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,677
Location
Solihull
My local shopping park (The Fort) have taken down the holding pens for queuing customers which were taking up half of the carpark. They only ever seemed to be queues for Primark and Wilko though so it's long overdue.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,400
Location
Yorks
I was highly relieved to see that M&S is now back open at Sheffield Midland.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I was surprised to see pictures on someone’s Instagram story this morning of them standing in a long queue outside Ikea. Is this the last remaining chain shop that seems to be routinely makings it’s customers queue outside?
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,502
Location
Northern England
I was surprised to see pictures on someone’s Instagram story this morning of them standing in a long queue outside Ikea. Is this the last remaining chain shop that seems to be routinely makings it’s customers queue outside?
Sainsbury's still seems to have queues.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Sainsbury's still seems to have queues.
Not in any shops I’ve seen. Sainsbury’s were always the worst shop for queues when it all started, but they were also one of the first locally (Tesco’s started it then Sainsbury’s) to drop them.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,502
Location
Northern England
Not in any shops I’ve seen. Sainsbury’s were always the worst shop for queues when it all started, but they were also one of the first locally (Tesco’s started it then Sainsbury’s) to drop them.
Interesting, I went to my local Sainsbury's about a week ago and had to wait in a queue for a while.
 

talldave

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2013
Messages
2,687
Our local independent coffe/cake shop is closing down. They were drop-shipping cakes during lockdown and have worked out that that's more profitable than running a shop - particularly as their lease came up for renewal whilst they were still only able to offer takeaway service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top