• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Retail and COVID19 - how well is it doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,750
Think the Roses tubs (made of plastic these days rather than tins) are down to 613g of contents (including wrappings) this year, representing a 40% reduction in recent years. That's shrinkflation for you!
I called in a Tesco a few days ago. There was a melee at the entrance and an entrance supervisor. Couldn't actually tell whether there was an official queue or just people waiting for their turn to get a trolley. So I followed someone in, socially distanced, then had to stop and wait while she ummed and aahed about whether to buy a box of celebrations. I think, if we are going to have restrictions again entering shops, they could find a better place for their 'impulse' items than right inside the doors.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,911
Wandered into Norwich this morning, took the train because it's no more expensive than driving and parking. I'm now on my way home.
Only a handful of passengers on the train in either direction. Really sad to see, these services used to be full or nearly full. Slight benefit for me as I managed to park at the station despite most of the car park being fenced off - I believe work to expand it has started. Usually there wouldn't be a hope in hell of getting parked at half past 8.

Norwich itself seemed relatively busy for a damp Tuesday morning. Bought some stuff at Jarrold and then wandered round the outdoor market.
Quite a few units not open on the market though whether that's because it was relatively early I'm not sure. There were cooking smells and sounds of activity from inside some of the shuttered hot food stalls. Nice to be able to wander round and interact normally with people and not be expected to explain why I'm not wearing a soggy cloth on my face.
Made sure I spent some money in the market, got some bread and salad stuff that I was otherwise going to get from sainos back in Attleborough.
Overall it wasn't as dead as I expected it to be. There may be hope yet.
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,755
Location
Midlands
... I think, if we are going to have restrictions again entering shops, they could find a better place for their 'impulse' items than right inside the doors.

My local Tesco superstore has racks of impulse buy items in most aisles at the ends. These always have been bottlenecks at all but the quietest times. I'm sure other chains have these too. Back six months ago I expected these to be removed to help both shoppers and staff keep 2m distancing but they remained.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top