From BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8189061.stm
My favourite quote: "this is a huge maintenance facility nearly two-storeys high." No sympathy from me I'm afraid, I have to live opposite a two-storey building too:
Plans for a huge train depot have sparked fury among residents in north London.
Network Rail said the 280m (918ft) long storage and maintenance shed, due to be built near Haringey's New River Village, would create 250 jobs.
But the move faces opposition from residents and the developer of nearby homes - with one councillor describing the building as "the bunker".
Network Rail does not need planning permission as it is a public utility.
Luisa Welch, spokeswoman for the developers of the New River Village, said: "I'm absolutely shocked by these plans.
"If this depot goes ahead, Network Rail will find a whole lot of opposition from a number of residents."
The depot is expected to take 18 months to complete.
It will serve the Thameslink programme, part of Network Rail's £5.5bn scheme to provide trains for the London 2012 Olympics.
Liberal Democrat councillor for Haringey Council Rachel Allison has described the proposed building as "the bunker".
She said: "They have got carte blanche to do this because it is on what they call 'operational land'.
"But I am concerned for the people of New River Village because it will alter their quality of life.
"This is a huge maintenance facility nearly two-storeys high."
Graham Goodwin, of Network Rail, said: "What we intend to bring forward is a major development which will bring a large number of new jobs and a better railway service for locals - not only here but right across the south-east network."
My favourite quote: "this is a huge maintenance facility nearly two-storeys high." No sympathy from me I'm afraid, I have to live opposite a two-storey building too: