• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Research Question: Railway TV location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smudge

New Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
4
Location
Midlands
Can anyone identify a railway location from the following pictures? These are from the final series of Thames TV's PUBLIC EYE starring Alfred Burke. The final series was shot around Chertsey, but some shooting was also done around Staines and Egham - with a remote possiblity that these shots might also come from the Windsor area.

It's a rather distinctive (I hope) section of raised track and I assume that the underpass in the final picture goes beneath the railway and might help. I've walked the centres of both Chertsey & Windsor and can only assume it must be an outlying area somewhere. Attempts to pick this up from Google Earth have also proved fruitless, so I thought it was time to ask some experts. Fingers crossed someone may recognise it.

Thanks,

Smudge

Mark2.jpg


Mark1.jpg


Mark3.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KiddyKid

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
61
The Road you are looking down is Marsh Farm Road in Twickenham, the railway is about to go over the flyover crossing the Waterloo-Staines line just west of Twickenham. The subway connects Marsh Farm Road and Lion Road which run parallel to the Kingston Loop Line.
 

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
The Road you are looking down is Marsh Farm Road in Twickenham, the railway is about to go over the flyover crossing the Waterloo-Staines line just west of Twickenham. The subway connects Marsh Farm Road and Lion Road which run parallel to the Kingston Loop Line.

Impressive! You've got to love the internet. :o

Here's the underpass in the bottom picture: Click

Too bad Streeview doesn't appear to have covered the street from the first two pictures. :(
 

Smudge

New Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
4
Location
Midlands
KiddyKid -

I am SERIOUSLY impressed! Can I ask if that came out of being a TV buff, being a railway buff, or a bit of both? And on a first post too! Very impressive.

By the way, if we can help the other way - locating old Britfilms or TV with trains in - do pop into our forum:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/index.php

Cheers,

Smudge

:D
 
Last edited:

KiddyKid

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
61
Bit of both im afraid!! Lived in Twickenham for many years, was a Driver at Strawberry Hill Depot in the 80's and that was the way I used to walk to work. Oh and I remember Public Eye very well, Frank Marker was it?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,375
Location
Yorks
Great series. And that haunting theme music. Very evocative. And is that a 4EPB or a 4SUB?

Hmm, difficult to tell as it's so blurry, but at a push I'd go for a 4SUB as the front end windows look more square than oblong.
 

Smudge

New Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
4
Location
Midlands
Yes, it was indeed Frank Marker. Strawberry Hill station was another location which was used in the series. Thank goodness it's a small world and you were able to help out - this was one of the last 'important' locations which we had to find and it was quite a puzzler!

Sorry about the blurry train - it's the video capture software I'm afraid!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,375
Location
Yorks
Sorry about the blurry train - it's the video capture software I'm afraid!

Thats OK, although if you could capture a shot of the train a little bit nearer it should be easy to identify :)
 

KiddyKid

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2010
Messages
61
4 Subs were used on both the SW and central divisions of the the Southern, 42xx and 47xx on the central 46xx on the SW. with the arrival of the 508's some of the 46xx units went to the central for futher use.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,375
Location
Yorks
Yes, I only managed to travel on a 4SUB once when BR's preserved one ran between Brighton and Seaford (Imagine anything like that happening today!). Definately several cuts above a 455 IMO :D

Got in plenty of EPB action though - miss them greatly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top