• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request only stops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oreu

New Member
Joined
21 Aug 2020
Messages
3
Location
UK
I've noticed that a small station in Wales that I might be getting off at is a "request only stop".

As an infrequent rail user, I'm not quite sure how this works.

Is there a button on the train that I press to let the driver know I want to get off at that stop, or do I need to inform the ticket inspector/guard?

There's a chance I might be coming back from that station too. In that case, how do I make it known I want the train to stop there?

I've Googled this but can't find any info...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
Where are you traveling to?

On your outward journey, you can let the Guard know.

I expect they will either walk through the train asking anyway, and if they don't, I would expect the train to call.

On the return, act as if hailing a bus ;)
 

HughT

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
147
Location
Cambridge
I thought I quite liked the "press button for next stop" arrangement until one time in Switzerland, on a line with a fair number of isolated request stops, I realised I didn't know the line very well and had no good idea when to press the button. Conversely, there are Swiss stations where you have to press a button on the platform to arrange to be picked up - which works fine if you know that applies to your particular station. So many different ways of achieving the same objective!
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,742
From the National Rail website, for one station in Wales that is a request stop (and which will apply to all such stations)...


This station is a request stop.

To alight from the train, please inform the conductor or the driver of your intentions in good time.

To board the train at this station, please give a clear hand signal to the driver as the train approaches.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,320
Location
Glasgow
Giving a clear hand signal is important, 'making your intent clear' (as Geoff and Vicki would say):

You can see the duo board at request stop of Lelant in their video.
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
I was on the late night (22:47) service from Glenfinnan to Lochailort recently and wasn't sure with the lateness of the hour and Covid whether the Guard would make it down to ask about request stops so I boarded at the Driver's end and asked her to stop at Lochailort.

The very efficient Guard then came to check if I wanted Lochailort or Beasdale anyway.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,276
My main problem is knowing the correct pronunciation of some of these request stops.
Ain't that the truth? First time I was travelling from Barrow-in-Furness up along the Cumbrian Coast to Corkickle (it was a request stop then) thought it best to ask the guard for "the station just before Whitehaven"! ;)
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Not as difficult as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch of course!

The guard on my train when I requested it said "only if you can pronounce it" :lol:
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
Not as difficult as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch of course!

The guard on my train when I requested it said "only if you can pronounce it" :lol:

asking the conductor to stop there once, when I had a cold, I just about managed to say "Llanfair-mumble"

I had no idea there was also a place called Llanfairfechan, until the conductor yelled at me once we got there, assuming it was my stop!
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
During the COVID19 pandemic, on some operators services you never see the Guard, so how would you get the train to stop at a request stop?
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
During the COVID19 pandemic, on some operators services you never see the Guard, so how would you get the train to stop at a request stop?

Like I say. My experience on WHL was that the Guard was coming round to check for request stops even though the usual ticket sales were not being done.

Therefore I got a free return trip from Lochailort to Glenfinnan as neither station has ticket issuing facilities.
 

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2020
Messages
1,565
Location
Leafy Suburbia
One wonders whether there could be more request stops, often enough no-one gets on or off at mandatory stops. What is the cost of stopping in brake wear and fuel?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top