• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reported to Prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,135
You need to be clearer as to how many times you done this, if you are to avoid prosecution, as cases where they want to talk to you inevitably mean they have identified previous cases.

Why are you still "in the process" of getting a season ticket? It's a two minute job, so either you have done it or you haven't.

You need to ask very nicely for an out of court settlement, words like "I would be really grateful if you would be willing to offer....".
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,342
This is the starter for my response I really do appreciate your help .

I would like to apologise for my disgraceful behaviour and I am truly ashamed. I understand how this impacts GTR and I want to assure you this will never happen again! I am the process of getting season ticket which will ensure this will never happen again and will always have the correct ticket. I would really like to agree on an out of court settlement, I am the main provider for my children and going to court would mean I would lose my job. I have been stupid and I will take full responsibility for that and never let anything like this happen again.
I think you need to address the bit about 'an investigation (...) has established that you avoided rail fares on multiple dates'. Otherwise the railway will think that you aren't taking the matter seriously.

As well as that, split your response into paragraphs. As it stands at the moment, it reads as if you have just slapped something down in the hope that it will be good enough: again, I think the railway will treat that as not taking the matter seriously.
 

jcfm

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2024
Messages
17
Location
england

You need to be clearer as to how many times you done this, if you are to avoid prosecution, as cases where they want to talk to you inevitably mean they have identified previous cases.

Why are you still "in the process" of getting a season ticket? It's a two minute job, so either you have done it or you haven't.

You need to ask very nicely for an out of court settlement, words like "I would be really grateful if you would be willing to offer....".
The reason it’s in process because it something my company will offer and I can pay monthly, I do not want to do this if it can’t be settled as I will lose my job. I am currently not travelling into London at the moment so I haven’t needed this just yet. Thank you so much for your advise this is all very helpful

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I think you need to address the bit about 'an investigation (...) has established that you avoided rail fares on multiple dates'. Otherwise the railway will think that you aren't taking the matter seriously.

As well as that, split your response into paragraphs. As it stands at the moment, it reads as if you have just slapped something down in the hope that it will be good enough: again, I think the railway will treat that as not taking the matter seriously.
Thank you I will address this, I wasn’t really sure how to respond as it wasn’t overly clear what they were asking me to do. This is really helpful

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How is this response “
would like to apologise for my disgraceful behaviour and I am truly ashamed.



I understand how this impacts GTR and I want to assure you this will never happen again! I am the going to purchase a season ticket which will ensure this will never happen again and will always have the correct ticket. I would be very grateful if you would be willing to offer and agreement to get this settled.



I am the main provider for my children and going to court would mean I would loose my job. I have been stupid and I will take full responsibility for that and never let anything like this happen again.



Please let me know what I can do and I will respond with immediate effect to all correspondences I would just be so grateful to solve this situation
 
Last edited:

Camsus

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2016
Messages
92
Location
Haywards Heath
The reason it’s in process because it something my company will offer and I can pay monthly, I do not want to do this if it can’t be settled as I will lose my job. I am currently not travelling into London at the moment so I haven’t needed this just yet. Thank you so much for your advise this is all very helpful

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Thank you I will address this, I wasn’t really sure how to respond as it wasn’t overly clear what they were asking me to do. This is really helpful

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How is this response “
would like to apologise for my disgraceful behaviour and I am truly ashamed.



I understand how this impacts GTR and I want to assure you this will never happen again! I am the going to purchase a season ticket which will ensure this will never happen again and will always have the correct ticket. I would be very grateful if GTR were willing to offer a financial settlement to resolve this.



I am the main provider for my children and going to court would mean I would loose my job. I have been stupid and I will take full responsibility for that and never let anything like this happen again.



Please let me know what I can do and I will respond with immediate effect to all correspondence I would just be so grateful to solve this situation
It looks okay to me, but I'd suggest the alteration in bold, as I believe this reads better than what you'd written.

I'd also remove the exclamation mark and the "the" that I've highlighted. Finally, change "loose" to lose
 

jcfm

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2024
Messages
17
Location
england
It looks okay to me, but I'd suggest the alteration in bold, as I believe this reads better than what you'd written.

I'd also remove the exclamation mark and the "the" that I've highlighted. Finally, change "loose" to lose
Thank you
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,672
Location
LBK
How is this response “
would like to apologise for my disgraceful behaviour and I am truly ashamed.



I understand how this impacts GTR and I want to assure you this will never happen again! I am the going to purchase a season ticket which will ensure this will never happen again and will always have the correct ticket. I would be very grateful if you would be willing to offer and agreement to get this settled.



I am the main provider for my children and going to court would mean I would loose my job. I have been stupid and I will take full responsibility for that and never let anything like this happen again.



Please let me know what I can do and I will respond with immediate effect to all correspondences I would just be so grateful to solve this situation
You need to specifically address the allegations. You don't even mention what you've done here, so it feels like something slapped down on a page.

Start with

"Thank you for your letter of (date) regarding my interaction with a member of your staff on (date).

I am sorry that I was caught without a ticket for my full journey -" etc etc.

Actually take the time to write a proper response that reads like you are bothered about what happened. Really, does it sound like in your response you care about the impact on the company?

They have accused you of avoiding the fare on other dates. Why have you not mentioned this in your response?
 

jcfm

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2024
Messages
17
Location
england
You need to specifically address the allegations. You don't even mention what you've done here, so it feels like something slapped down on a page.

Start with

"Thank you for your letter of (date) regarding my interaction with a member of your staff on (date).

I am sorry that I was caught without a ticket for my full journey -" etc etc.

Actually take the time to write a proper response that reads like you are bothered about what happened. Really, does it sound like in your response you care about the impact on the company?

They have accused you of avoiding the fare on other dates. Why have you not mentioned this in your response?
Thank you for your response sorry I am trying my best, I am just very nervous and worried and probably not thinking straight
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,342
Thank you for your response sorry I am trying my best, I am just very nervous and worried and probably not thinking straight
As I have said earlier, the railway think you have fare dodged on other occasions.

If they're wrong, then say so ('You have said that I didn't pay the right fare on previous occasions. This isn't true '.)

But if they're right, then you need to agree. If you tell them how often then that will show the railway that you are trying to co-operate.

If you have been buying 'short' tickets that don't cover your whole journey, then you need to work out how often you have done this and say so ('I estimate that I did not buy the right ticket on x occasions in the last y years'). These days, most tickets are bought with a debit or credit card, so there's a good chance that your bank/ credit card statements will tell you when you bought tickets which were less than the full fare: if that doesn't work for you, then think about when you would have fare dodged: if it was every time you went into the office, you will probably know when that was; if it was (for example) the end of each week or just before payday when money was tight, you can work that out too.

One way or another, you can get fairly close to how often you fare dodged - and as long as that's pretty close to what the railway thinks, that should be good enough (if they think you fare dodged 20 times and you think it was 19 times they will probably be ok: if they think it was 20 and you think it was once they may have a problem). But you need to show that you are trying to be honest!
 

trek

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2013
Messages
199
I would like to apologise for my disgraceful behaviour and I am truly ashamed. I understand how this impacts GTR and I want to assure you this will never happen again! I am the process of getting season ticket which will ensure this will never happen again and will always have the correct ticket. I would really like to agree on an out of court settlement, I am the main provider for my children and going to court would mean I would lose my job. I have been stupid and I will take full responsibility for that and never let anything like this happen again.
Presumably you are still making this journey, and what have you been doing since being caught? Actually getting your season ticket and having proof of that will go some way to show you will not fare evade again instead of the vauge promise that you are in the process of it.

I travel from Bedford - wimbeldon and I always have tickets between Bedford and flitwick and Hayden’s road and wimbeldon in between that I either get a ticket once I have met my friend or tap in as it’s cheaper! I have done it on and off maybe 8 times over a year or so ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

You mention you've done this about 8 times or so, however you also suggest you want to get a season ticket. This doesn't make a lot of sense given a season ticket is suited to someone making the journey regularly. How regularly do you make the journey and what tickets do you buy, you should assume they can see all your journey patterns and any out of court settlement will be made on the total of these journeys.

The rail card is 25-30

Are you eligible for this railcard or is that just what your sister has?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
I agree with @AlterEgo The letter needs some significant changes.

Looks at what I said in post #17 further up the thread and base your reply on that. You'll find some other letters in other threads which you can base your reply on.

GTR are researching your ticket purchasing history so they will know what you've been up to. If you want the best chance of being offered an out of court settlement, I suggest you also check your ticket purchase history and 'fess up' to what you've done in your reply.

You could say something like 'I have researched my Trainline ticket purchase history and discovered that between xx/xx/xx and yy/yy/yy I travelled with invalid tickets on xx occasions'.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top