• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Replacement bus service to Inverness .. early January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
962
Location
Whitley Bay
My wife and I intend travelling to Inverness early in January from Newcastle and hope to book on the Highland Chieftain.

I know advance fares are usually out about 12 weeks ahead and sometimes even earlier so I thought I would take a look today, either for our exact date, or at slightly earlier dates, just to get an idea of prices

I see there will be a replacement bus from Perth to Inverness for the two dates I checked (both on a Saturday in December)

Our intended travel date will actually be Saturday 4th January, so I am wondering whether this replacement bus will be still in operation then.

thanks !
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,693
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I often choose to go that way, as you noted it’s not obvious - but following various maintenance disruptions, it’s a good back up!
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
962
Location
Whitley Bay
I often choose to go that way, as you noted it’s not obvious - but following various maintenance disruptions, it’s a good back up!
I actually quite like the idea now .. we could travel a few hours earlier, have an hour or so in Edinburgh, then perhaps a first-class LNER trip to Aberdeen, then onwards to Inverness. We could maybe have a quick look at Aberdeen too.

There the different scenery too. last year we had a day trip to Dundee from Edinburgh, but haven't been any further up that coast.

We're returning to Glasgow after Inverness for a couple of days, so we would catch the Highland scenery on our journey south.

thanks again for the great tip !!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top