• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reliability of West Wales Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I'm going to take the following services on one weekday over the next two weeks. Are the following reliable/punctual? Any engineering works to be aware of?

0450 Carmarthen - Milford Haven
0555 Milford Haven - Clarbeston Road
0620 Clarb - Fishguard Harbour
0647 FH - Carmarthen
0843 Carmarthen - Pembroke Dock
1109 Pembroke Dock - Carmarthen

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
Can't comment, but you do realise that Clarbeston has the stsndard minimum connecting time of 5 min?
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I'm going to take the following services on one weekday over the next two weeks. Are the following reliable/punctual? Any engineering works to be aware of?

0450 Carmarthen - Milford Haven
0555 Milford Haven - Clarbeston Road
0620 Clarb - Fishguard Harbour
0647 FH - Carmarthen
0843 Carmarthen - Pembroke Dock
1109 Pembroke Dock - Carmarthen

Thanks.

The best thing, I suggest, is to sign up to "Raildar" which provides historical statistics. There don't seem to be Forum members based in this part of the world in any numbers as compared with other areas where you would probably get replies straight away.
 
Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I had a look at Raildar after your suggestion. I think the worst line is the Pembroke one for reliability, but all three are very reliable according to the last three months. As for the connection at Clarbeston Road, I'll ask the guard in advance and if I'm told I've already missed it when we get to Clarb, I will stay on to Whitland/Carmarthen and switch Fishguard for Pembroke and do Fishguard later or another day.
 

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
6,231
Location
Newtown Montgomeryshire
ATW were able to do a complete tt recast in Dec 2005 and built in a lot of spare minutes into their schedules deliberately and have one the best ppm's in the country.

So providing no vandalism, unit shortages, knock on delays from other operators , flood, pestilence, staff illness etc you have a very good chance on a normal day of an on time railway,
 

Harrythecat

Member
Joined
30 Mar 2016
Messages
6
Clarbeston Road east bound platform is connected to westbound by walking up into village , crossing road bridge and coming back onto westbound platform, approx 300m walk. I should think that the Fishguard bound train will be waiting in the westbound platform when the Milford Haven train arrives. To make the connection the MH train will need to be on time and some Bolt style sprinting. On the Fishguard Harbour leg, you need to change at Clarbeston Road to join the ex Milford Haven train to Carmarthen
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,312
If you miss the 0620 you can just do the following instead

0720 Clarbeston Rd - Fishguard 0744
0750 Fishguard - Whitland 0823
0902 Whitland - Pembroke Dock 1018
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I've travelled a few times down to Milford Haven, Fishguard and on the Pembroke Dock line. The trains I;ve used have always been on time, and I'd suggest that the early morning trains will be reliable as they start from Carmarthen, there won't be any knock on effects from longer distance services which could happen later in the day. The various stretches of single line can also exacerbate things when there's any late running.

As Gareth mentioned, there's always a small chance of an unforeseen delay. I think you'll need to move swiftly at Clarbeston Road, as I don't think it's a recognised connection from the Milford Haven direction.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top