• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rejection codes at ticket gates (105, 115 and 135 all on the same journey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexed

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2020
Messages
680
Location
Herts / Hants
Hopefully this doesn't come off as much of a rant but I thought I'd share my poor success rate with ticket barriers today.

After figuring out that the magnet in my earbuds case was demagnetising my paper tickets I hoped for a high success rate, now that I stored them in different pockets. Nope.

Travelling on the return portion of a Super Off Peak Return, here goes.

Started at St Albans City with barrier code 115, indicating my ticket has expired. Not true as it's valid for one journey within a month.
Then exiting at West Hampstead Thameslink I got 105 indicating an invalid TOC type ticket. My ticket has no TOC restrictions.
Entering West Hampstead Underground, I headed for the wide gate (I have a suitcase with me) which detected my paper ticket and started making motor noises but it just wouldn't go in. I tried a normal gate and... success! The third ticket barrier of my journey was the first to work.
Waterloo Underground ticket barriers also worked without any issues.
Waterloo's mainline barriers also didn't work with code 135, which is TOC special rules.
Southampton Airport Parkway doesn't have ticket barriers so the random rejection number generator won't be running when I arrive!

At no barrier was I asked for my railcard. However the gateline staff did check the ticket in each case, unlike some past experiences where they accept anything orange.

I'm used to the barriers not working due to GTR's great policy of rejecting advance tickets (which an attendant at Blackfriars didn't seem to know was a blanket policy but I might be misremembering and that one might have been corrupted by my earbuds. Regardless my opener of "I have an advance ticket" resulted in him thinking it should work). But what got me is that the barriers (even on the same TOC) couldn't all decide on the same reason to reject my ticket.

Anyway... This is what we get from Cubic having a monopoly.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,722
Location
Burgess Hill
Not excluding the mess you encountered, but some explanations.

Then exiting at West Hampstead Thameslink I got 105 indicating an invalid TOC type ticket. My ticket has no TOC restrictions.
That's not what it means. It simply means the barrier doesn't understand that ticket type (super off peak, in this case). The "TOC" mention in whichever tool you used to look up the code is likely because the ticket is a TOC-issued ticket rather than, say, a TfL one.

Waterloo's mainline barriers also didn't work with code 135, which is TOC special rules.
Will be SWR setting the gates to reject all Railcard discounted paper tickets.
 

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,755
Location
Glasgow
I did a Newton (Lanarks) - Edinburgh journey recently (any permitted so valid via Glasgow) but it wouldn't open the gate at Glasgow Queen Street, error code 57, I was so confused.

It was an off peak return (the outward portion) on a Saturday morning.

I did put it into the low level gates, aiming to walk along Platform 8/9 and up the stairs into the high level rather than coming in the main entrance. Edinburgh trains use the low level station too so that should be irrelevant.

Anyone know why it rejected? Scanned fine on the trains and at all other stations (also the return portion didn't reject at Queen Street on my way home). It was a 16-25 railcard ticket.
 
Last edited:

Vexed

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2020
Messages
680
Location
Herts / Hants
Will be SWR setting the gates to reject all Railcard discounted paper tickets.
Maybe but hasn't happened in the ~25 times I've passed through in the last 6 months. I won't be happy if that's the case.

Unless it's only in one direction it wasn't in place on Thursday when I came through so if they've already given up actually checking them...

Thank you for your other info Mr Jeeves.

I suppose it's both good and bad when the ticket barriers are the only thing I'm complaining about. A good 80% of my journeys run without any other issues.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
Will be SWR setting the gates to reject all Railcard discounted paper tickets.
As mentioned elsewhere, this is due to SWR's ticketless travel survey being carried out. Railcard discounted tickets are, or were, being rejected at all SWR barriers.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,660
Location
Greater Manchester
Yesterday at Moorfields with one of the £2 special day tickets, I went out to go look for a water refil station, couldn't find one and went back in about 10 seconds later and it didn't let me, no clue why since it worked for out and back in at Liverpool Central (but that had a ~15m gap between exit and entry).

Also last time I was at Liverpool Central the Cheshire Day Ranger was rejected both ways.
 

1D54

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2019
Messages
1,482
Rejected at Waterloo last Saturday and had to show TC to gate staff but they did not require me to show railcard.
 
Joined
27 May 2021
Messages
696
Location
Daventry
I got through the Waterloo Gateline last Sat with a Paper Railcard Travelcard (Plats 1 to 19) with no issues. But Yesterday Similar ticket was rejected by the 20 - 23 Gateline. Staffer did ask to see Railcard and let me through
 

trainJam

Member
Joined
26 May 2023
Messages
208
Location
West Midlands
Changing at Birmingham New St to Birmingham Moor St on a via High Wycombe travelcard. 122 at BHM, success at BMO.

Avanti staff said the gate can only store about 1000 routes so will always get rejected.

122 is "LUL ticket is not valid" (according to http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/stations/barriers.shtm).


Two weird (but human moments)
BMO and Northampton, I was on a ranger ticket which was rejected. Staff said wrong date when it clearly wasn't. Barrier error, human error.

NMP it was the printed roll error so no clue.
BMO pass back as I entered then exited a few mins later.


When Kenilworth first opened, tickets to Kenilworth did not allow me to enter/exit at BHM.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,660
Location
Greater Manchester
Avanti staff said the gate can only store about 1000 routes so will always get rejected.
Incredible (I would be a bit suprised if it wasn't actually 1024, but that's not a lot of difference), that probably explains why Wigan Wallgate's don't like my tickets to Southend then.
 

trainJam

Member
Joined
26 May 2023
Messages
208
Location
West Midlands
Incredible (I would be a bit suprised if it wasn't actually 1024, but that's not a lot of difference), that probably explains why Wigan Wallgate's don't like my tickets to Southend then.

For the record I don't know if what he said is actually true of course. Can anyone shed some light on this?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
Avanti staff said the gate can only store about 1000 routes so will always get rejected.
I can't remember for certain but I thought that routes were managed by exclusion. Whether by inclusion or exclusion the number won't be anything as high as 1000.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
Changing at Birmingham New St to Birmingham Moor St on a via High Wycombe travelcard. 122 at BHM, success at BMO.

Avanti staff said the gate can only store about 1000 routes so will always get rejected.

122 is "LUL ticket is not valid" (according to http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/stations/barriers.shtm).


Two weird (but human moments)
BMO and Northampton, I was on a ranger ticket which was rejected. Staff said wrong date when it clearly wasn't. Barrier error, human error.

NMP it was the printed roll error so no clue.
BMO pass back as I entered then exited a few mins later.


When Kenilworth first opened, tickets to Kenilworth did not allow me to enter/exit at BHM.
Not been for a few years, but in the past, I have found my West Midland Day Rangers were not recognised by the barriers at Northampton.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
Yesterday at Moorfields with one of the £2 special day tickets, I went out to go look for a water refil station, couldn't find one and went back in about 10 seconds later and it didn't let me, no clue why since it worked for out and back in at Liverpool Central (but that had a ~15m gap between exit and entry).

Also last time I was at Liverpool Central the Cheshire Day Ranger was rejected both ways.
Passback prevention. It’s the difference between 10 secs and 15 mins that’s significant.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,044
Maybe but hasn't happened in the ~25 times I've passed through in the last 6 months. I won't be happy if that's the case.

Unless it's only in one direction it wasn't in place on Thursday when I came through so if they've already given up actually checking them...

Thank you for your other info Mr Jeeves.

I suppose it's both good and bad when the ticket barriers are the only thing I'm complaining about. A good 80% of my journeys run without any other issues.

As mentioned elsewhere, this is due to SWR's ticketless travel survey being carried out. Railcard discounted tickets are, or were, being rejected at all SWR barriers.

Rejected at Waterloo last Saturday and had to show TC to gate staff but they did not require me to show railcard.

I got through the Waterloo Gateline last Sat with a Paper Railcard Travelcard (Plats 1 to 19) with no issues. But Yesterday Similar ticket was rejected by the 20 - 23 Gateline. Staffer did ask to see Railcard and let me through

There's a thread in the Fares forum discussing SWR barriers rejecting most/all discounted tickets:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top