• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refusal to give up space for wheelchair

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerOut

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2019
Messages
131
Location
Sussex
As I said , all a driver can do is request the buggy user vacates the wheelchair space.
If they refuse all they can do is call Ibus ( in London ) or follow their companies procedures. Usually meaning a phone call to their control team.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimbo99

Member
Joined
6 Oct 2010
Messages
133
Thanks for the replies and opinions. I would never expect the driver to get involved in "forcing" a passenger off. But I do think the bus shouldn't move until the space is clear. If this was a general policy then buggy users would know there's no point in refusing to move. It does feel like discrimination to board a couple of other pax at the stop and then drive off leaving my mother.On this occasion there was plenty of space on the bus, just the buggies didn't want to move.

I've noticed the SL5s are quite busy on Saturdays, what with having a single deck only. I can envisage a situation where the buggies can't move (even when folded) because of lack of space. That did happen once in the past = the kind mother insisted on getting off the bus to allow my mother on, even though we were happy to wait. And of course we've had the situation where a chair is already onboard when we want to get on. I feel sorry for couples in wheelchairs. They can never travel together on buses. I suppose it's quite rare.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,125
Re being asked to wait for the bus 15 minutes behind -what would happen if that bus also had a buggy in the wheelchair space? It could go on for ever, but in that case, I would hope that TfL would summon a taxi.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top