• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refunded only 25% of my ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwizz

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2024
Messages
99
Location
UK
The other day I was trying to buy a ticket (from LNR) on my phone while on a train (it was a ticket for my next connecting journey, not the one I was currently on) but had an absolute nightmare with technical issues.

Every time I tried to pay, it would sit for several minutes at a time on a spinning loading animation, and either sit there forever or sometimes exit by itself and give the message (see the attached picture) 'unable to take payment'. I don't think anything was wrong with my card, but we kept going through long tunnels just as I was checking out, so my own mobile data wasn't working. I'd tried the on-board WiFi, which would also seem to work fine but then suddenly stop when I tried to pay. Even when I got mobile data working again, it still said unable to take payment, over and over.

I was trying all sorts of things to find the cause - I was hitting back, to try to change between e-ticket and paper ticket to see if that made a difference, and I was switching between LNR's app and website, etc. Every time I hit back, it would lose my journey and I'd have to input the origin/destination/date all over again and do another search for tickets.

Then, during payment for the 50th time, it flashed up a message for 1 second saying something like "You have duplicate tickets in your basket, are you sure you wa–..." and before I could even read it fully, it switched to a screen saying payment accepted... and it had charged me twice!

I instantly requested a refund. These were paper tickets, and obviously they hadn't been collected yet. The refund worked fine, I have the email confirmation of my ticket at 08:57 and 2 emails saying Refund Requested and then Refund Successful at 08:58.

Today I see the refund is for £1.70 when the ticket cost £6.70. It says "Deductions: £5.00".

Deductions for what, exactly? I never even had the tickets in my possession and the refund was fully automated within seconds of the mistake occuring. What am I paying for here? Is it worth complaining or is there no chance and I just have to accept I've been scammed out of a fiver? This is the last time I'm trying to buy tickets with a spotty internet connection that's for sure.
 

Attachments

  • 2025-05-10 08.50.05.jpg
    2025-05-10 08.50.05.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam Williams

Established Member
Joined
2 Jan 2018
Messages
3,608
Location
Warks
A good retailer will refund duplicate transactions without charging any sort of fee; it would worth reaching out to customer services to ask. Failing that, there is a dedicated chargeback category for duplicate transactions and you should talk to your payment card issuer.

Deductions for what, exactly? I never even had the tickets in my possession and the refund was fully automated within seconds of the mistake occuring. What am I paying for here?

More generally, retailers are permitted to charge an administration fee for processing purely discretionary refunds (which I would argue this is not). It may well be an automated process, but someone has to do the work to implement the refunds flow, maintain the code underpinning it, keep up with the myriad of regulatory and technical changes that the industry forces retailers to make on a regular basis. Automated does not mean free! The merchant also doesn't get the card/interchange fees back when you refund a purchase, so an admin fee helps to cover those costs.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
Is it worth complaining or is there no chance and I just have to accept I've been scammed out of a fiver?
Assuming it was Lonfon NorthWestern that you booked through, their website seemingly indicates that, in most instances, they'll deduct a £5 administration fee, which, obviously, for a low value transaction, will be a large proportion of the refunded ticket price.

Maybe an e-mail explaining the specific circumstances to <sales.support.londonnorthwesternrailway@trainsfares.co.uk> quoting your transaction ID and ticket details *might* assist in you have getting a discretionary refund of the additional £5.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,735
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Given that WMT's site is operated by Trainline it's surprising they don't offer the same policy of free refunds within the first <time period, I forget what it is> to deal with errors like this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top