• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Redhill-Garforth (London-Leeds) via MML

Status
Not open for further replies.

c52

Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
59
I always understood that using the MML to get to Leeds was not permitted except on through trains. Checking it, it looks to me as if map SY (South Yorkshire local routes) is allowed and covers the entire route from Leeds to St Pancras.

If I look on the online journey planner, northbound offerings are confined to the through trains, but southbound, changing in Sheffield is permitted with about two departures each hour.

What I actually need to do is travel straight to Garforth, but take a break of a few days in Loughborough on the way back, and I'm proposing to do it with a super-saver ticket, £74.05 with a senior railcard.

Is that OK or not?

thank you.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
Welcome to the forum.

If you use the journey planner on e.g. the Virgin Trains East Coast website and put Loughborough as your "via" station, you will be routed with the £74.05 ticket via the Midland Mainline, and break of journey on the return portion of an offpeak (or super offpeak) return is permitted. Indeed, the itinerary will for the return journey include some trains that stop at Loughborough, doubly confirming that what you propose is fine.
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
That's fine and been permitted for as long as I've known. I've used a similar ticket to stop of at Derby or Sheffield a few times when returning to Surrey from Leeds/Bradford.
 

c52

Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
59
Thank you. I was just worried that no northbound trains with a change in Sheffield are shown on the NR journey planner. However, the VTEC site includes those.
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
Just in case you didn't know, you can travel north on the faster ECML from King's Cross and then south via the MML. But if you want reservations for that you would need to buy from a helpful ticket office.
 

John @ home

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2008
Messages
5,148
if you want reservations for that you would need to buy from a helpful ticket office.
I have found staff at Northern's travel centre at Leeds station to be helpful and proficient when asked to issue a seat reservation and presented with a ticket purchased elsewhere.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top