• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Red Pen 2015 - your new haulages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,856
Location
West of Andover
Although I've been busy trying to get the 444s down (7 left), I just need another London Day and spend more time going back/forward between Clapham & Waterloo. Double 444 at Vauxhall anybody?

When possible I try and linear bash to/from London, changing at Basingstoke/Woking/Clapham if possible
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Given that they are fairly local to you, shame on you, especially considering how much bashing you did last year. :p

Yes I too noticed Kite159 appears to be fortunate to be going to London almost every weekend :lol:;)

I need 72 450s, although to be fair I'm a long way from the SWT empire and I rarely touch the foreign territory that is SWT. Much more at home with SN and even SET!
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,470
Yes I too noticed Kite159 appears to be fortunate to be going to London almost every weekend :lol:;)

I need 72 450s, although to be fair I'm a long way from the SWT empire and I rarely touch the foreign territory that is SWT. Much more at home with SN and even SET!

Every weekend?! That brings back memories of Midland Mainline who allowed season ticket holders to travel anywhere at weekends. Many a happy time using my Loughborough - Leicester season for weekend journeys to London on my way to football. Shame that they discontinued that practice. <(
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Yes I too noticed Kite159 appears to be fortunate to be going to London almost every weekend :lol:;)

I need 72 450s, although to be fair I'm a long way from the SWT empire and I rarely touch the foreign territory that is SWT. Much more at home with SN and even SET!

I've used the three fairly similarly, but there's not a lot I get to do on Southeastern as it was mainly just London Bridge - Charing Cross runs on 465s or 376s, so given that's no longer doable, there's really only one customer I see that necessitates using SE, and to be honest, the DLR station is much nearer. Seeing them tomorrow though, so I'll see what I get :) Usually I do one inbound and the other outbound - I still have a small number of DLR units left, despite commuting on the DLR every day for about 6 months' worth of actually recording the units. 01, 09, 12, 25, 47, 104, 111 and 146 are proving elusive :D
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,856
Location
West of Andover
Ah yes that would be fun!

Felt like every weekend for Kite159 being off anyway :lol:

Working Monday to Friday has it's benefits.

I enjoy waking up early on Saturdays to disappear on a little trip, although with my coverage map hopefully nearly completed after next Saturday's trip to Yorkshire [Bicester to Oxford branch will be the elusive uncovered part] I will be working on units.

Depending what time I get back next Saturday (I'm going to try and catch an earlier connecting train from Waterloo than what has been suggested on the booking [to get to Basingstoke, wait half an hour for an additional Basingstoke - Salisbury service] I might go up to London next Sunday, although at the moment I have no idea which part to focus on unit bashing.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I've used the three fairly similarly, but there's not a lot I get to do on Southeastern as it was mainly just London Bridge - Charing Cross runs on 465s or 376s, so given that's no longer doable, there's really only one customer I see that necessitates using SE, and to be honest, the DLR station is much nearer. Seeing them tomorrow though, so I'll see what I get :) Usually I do one inbound and the other outbound - I still have a small number of DLR units left, despite commuting on the DLR every day for about 6 months' worth of actually recording the units. 01, 09, 12, 25, 47, 104, 111 and 146 are proving elusive :D

I haven't used the DLR much myself, hence my needing 131 units on the DLR! I think every one of those you list are required here too :lol:
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I've used the three fairly similarly, but there's not a lot I get to do on Southeastern as it was mainly just London Bridge - Charing Cross runs on 465s or 376s, so given that's no longer doable, there's really only one customer I see that necessitates using SE, and to be honest, the DLR station is much nearer. Seeing them tomorrow though, so I'll see what I get :) Usually I do one inbound and the other outbound - I still have a small number of DLR units left, despite commuting on the DLR every day for about 6 months' worth of actually recording the units. 01, 09, 12, 25, 47, 104, 111 and 146 are proving elusive :D

On the other hand I've had all those DLR units :D must have most most over the last 16 months, if only I'd kept records, could have even got 100%!
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I used it for quite a bit before I started recording - I worked in Westferry from November 2012 to May 2013 and I only started recording units in early 2013 I think, so there's a good chance I did score the missing ones, but will never know for sure.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Had that problem with not logging stuff, a prime example being 170638. I have it underlined in the book, but for some reason I don't have any of its coaches underlined or have anything logged on RailMiles for it. I can only assume I had it pre-2006 before I started logging things better, although it was 2008 before I really got into the habit of noting the journeys properly.

This reminds me, I must add the Highland Chieftain moves to RailMiles before I forget again! :lol:
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I was wondering what that's about - if it's to become fleet-wide they're certainly taking their time with it! I assume it's eventually going to be rolled out to all 94 of the classic units?
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I was wondering what that's about - if it's to become fleet-wide they're certainly taking their time with it! I assume it's eventually going to be rolled out to all 94 of the classic units?

Yes, all of the original design ones are having it done, project has been running for about a year. Does seem a bit slow but I don't think many units are spare. Only recently have I started seeing them regularly.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Just as well putting my LU requirements here as anywhere else! It shows how badly I need to crack on with the Tube!

LU Requirements,as of 12/01/2015,1700

Bakerloo: 32
Central: 304
District line D stock: 119
Jubilee: 105
SSL S8: 98 half sets
SSL S7: 252 half sets (going up to 21565/21566)
Northern: 184
Piccadilly: 166
Victoria: 39
Waterloo and City: 8
Total: 1,307

I don't ever expect to complete that lot, although hopefully I'll make it through the Victoria line stock!
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Wow, something to make me feel good about my haulages for once :D
I have yet to fully re-audit my requirements for every tube line, I was more focused on getting the mileage figure down, but it's roughly as follows:

S8: 54/58 sets travelled, 4 needed
S7: 54/66 (currently delivered) sets travelled, 12 still needed until more delivered
D78: 88/150 units travelled, 62 needed
Jubilee: 122/122 units travelled, class complete (that I'm aware of, some of this is a little wooly from early documentation)
Northern: about 100-120 units travelled, another 100 or so needed. will need to check this as I used to only record the pair, forgetting they don't work in pairs :p
Victoria: 33/47 sets travelled, 14 needed
Piccadilly: 12 units travelled, 161 needed
Bakerloo: 4 units travelled, not sure how many that means I need!
Central: 180/350 units travelled, 170 needed
Waterloo & City: 8 units travelled, 2 needed
DLR: 141 units travelled, 8 needed


The only classes I'm hoping to complete are S7 (eventually!), S8, Jubilee (which I may well already have done but would like to have it all properly documented), Victoria, Waterloo & City and DLR. Northern and Central would be nice but there's just so much to do! Piccadilly and Bakerloo are never normally used on my regular commute so it's unlikely to happen without dedicated bashes.

As for the mainline classes I'm after, definitely the anglian 321 and 360/1 fleets, 315s would be nice before they go and should be achievable but we'll see. Definitely want to complete the full set of 345s which shouldn't take too long as long as I still live in this part of the country by then! 700s would be nice, but that's going take a fair while.


12th January:

315817 Brentwood-Stratford - New entry - Cleared for 10 miles straight
96705 Stratford-Canary Wharf - First unit of any type to have 13 separate entries in the mileage log and first 96TS to clear 70 miles
DLR 65 Heron Quays - Elverson Road - Cleared for 1 mile
376012 St Johns - London Cannon Street - Winner - Cleared for 1 mile
S7 58 Cannon Street - Temple
S7 35 Farringdon - Liverpool Street
321341 London Liverpool Street - Shenfield

2015 mileage: 392m40c
Units travelled: 19
New units scored: 6

Not quite as successful as friday, but a 'winning' 315 was a good start - seeing 801 at the front and thinking 'ugh, not again!' (It's my highest mileage 315 by far - as tempting as it'd have been to push it further I decided to check the back, and was glad I did!) - I know I've been on 817 before because I remember from back when it was the only unit not to still have NSE pattern seat covers, but it's not in the spreadsheet yet, so as good a time as any to put that right. Didn't expect a winner on the DLR and didn't get one, despite checking the numbers of all three units. I did, however, spot my first double repainted-end unit at Canning Town, so that was nice :)
Chances of a winner at St Johns were good and I wasn't disappointed, could have taken my pick of either 376 as a winner, chose the rear unit in the end as I was standing in the right place - had I swapped units to pick up the other, I would have ended up with <1 mile for one of them, so didn't seem worth the bother in the end. I was quite comfortable in my seat compared to the drizzle outside!
Neither S7 was a winner unfortunately, and neither was the 321 home, once again, checking all three units just in case. Not a bad one in the end, though about 2 hours walking in total for the places I went to, I've acquired a blister... :(
 
Last edited:

andyb2706

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
747
Location
Manchester
Had a day out locally today in the Manchester area and after my success the other week with the 170 TPE's I decided to hunt down my remaining 5 350/4 TPE units that I require, the results are below

3074
142033
156429
185114
185133
350401
350404
350406
350407
350408

As you can see I had a 100% record with the 350/4 and now along with the 170's that are with TPE none are required. On top of that I had 2 new 185's which leaves me with only needing 12 185 units to complete my TPE fleet, guess what will be concentrating on on my next Manchester trip. :D
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Impressive - that's either absolute dedication or very good fortune :)
Although I've been on about half a dozen of them, my TPE red-pen is limited to a single lowly 185 - 149 in fact...
 

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2012
Messages
2,131
Location
Rochdale
Having now bothered to check my book, 185126 was also a winner on 2/1/15.

My Northern/Tippex requirements are now as follows:
150 - 8
170 - 6? ( thought I'd had more of these)
185 - 9
322 - 2
333 - 1
350 - 7
plus no doubt various 319s as they come on stream.

A day out is tempting!
 

andyb2706

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
747
Location
Manchester
Impressive - that's either absolute dedication or very good fortune :)
Although I've been on about half a dozen of them, my TPE red-pen is limited to a single lowly 185 - 149 in fact...

I am based in the Manchester area so a day at Piccadilly you can pick up quite a few 350/4 by going between Piccadilly and the airport. Pick up the first Scotland to Airport service out of Piccadilly, get to the airport and then come back with it to Piccadilly and you only have to wait just over 10 minutes for the next one so you can rattle a few off.

If you are lucky enough the service could be 2 units so one in each direction.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Ah, the local service then - that's fair I suppose. If, for whatever reason I wanted a 315 bash or something I could just hop between my two local stations, they're all 8-car and I think there's around a dozen diagrams even off-peak so that'd work out well, and I could just walk home from either station, even if Shenfield is a bit of a trek. Thing is though, being local, there's just no need to do that, I see them often enough already :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Some excellent fortune for andyb2706!

Your LU requirements are far better than mine samuelmorris, my S7 counts go up to 21565/21566, which is what my ST Publications 2013 book goes up to, and which I'm sure deliveries have got nowhere near to yet!

I might allow myself a budget day out on Monday, need something to boost spirits at the moment and I'm not sure I can make it another 20 days until my next trip!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
A long way to go yet then! Oh, and I've looked this up for you:

"S7 58 Cannon Street - Temple - going to need a mileage figure for this! 1m02 according to the zonal map conversion - is this right?"

Exceptionally close, RailMiles has it down as 1m03c.

Good luck with your potential scores tomorrow!
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Bah, now I have to update everything by a chain! Haha - thanks for the figure. Still waiting on railmiles to come back so I can stop pestering people :s
Amended my previous post accordingly :)

Cheers, I'll see what I can find tomorrow!
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
One chain here and there makes a difference over time, could easily mount up to a few miles if it's a regular journey!

According to my calculations, I've almost hit 10,400 miles on my usual bus, just 0.7 miles off that by the time I get to town later!
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Well, Switzerland proved to be surprisingly fruitful with 31 new; exactly the same number as during my trip there at this time last year. Doubt very much that I will ever get that many there again unless they get a whole class of new locos :lol:
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
One chain here and there makes a difference over time, could easily mount up to a few miles if it's a regular journey!

According to my calculations, I've almost hit 10,400 miles on my usual bus, just 0.7 miles off that by the time I get to town later!

Not sure to be honest, I'll have to time it versus the JLE to Westminster. I may be moving back to a London Bridge service and with no Charing Cross or City Thameslink service to use from there I'll experiment with going to Cannon Street and taking the SSL to Temple. If it works out well compared with going from Bermondsey to Westminster and coming back, it may yet become a regular journey. I realise London Bridge - Cannon Street is hardly far but being already a 15 minute walk westbound to London Bridge station, for a regular journey actually going across the bridge pushes it a bit far to have to do it each way. For that same reason I refuse to entertain London Bridge - Chancery Lane via Bank - the long walk inside the station, crush and sweat at anything other than super off-peak times is just unpleasant to do on a regular basis - things like that are the main reason I'm still only halfway through the vast 92TS fleet. Plenty of opportunities to use the Central line but I try not to as it's just so crowded, even at seemingly quiet times of the day.

Visit to the customer in SW London was called off today so just a simple run into Liverpool Street and back for the other two that wanted my attention, scoring diddly squat unfortunately, other than first recorded mileage for an otherwise dud 315. Still, pushes my mileage up a bit further given I'll still have to make that planned trip on Friday, so silver lining in every cloud etc...

14th January:

315806 Brentwood - London Liverpool Street
321351 London Liverpool Street - Shenfield
315853 Shenfield - Brentwood - Cleared for 1 mile

2015 mileage: 432m72c
Units travelled: 22
New units scored: 6
 
Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Not looking forward to the York run tomorrow! Rail replacement tube from Stratford to Liverpool Street, no lifts at West Ham and no North Circle means I'll be taking the Stratford->Green Park->Kings Cross diversionary route, hoping all the relevant lifts are working. Means an 0750 start to make the 1000 HST at Kings Cross and get a seat...

On the bright side, got to do my Wandsworth Common run this afternoon scoring some new 377s, not shiny new /6s or /7s though I'm afraid! Downside of that though means a peak-time venture through Victoria. That station... I don't know how people stand it.
New 09TS wrapped things up pretty nicely, as well as bringing an S7 up to the needed 1 mile marker. Neither 321 on the train home was a winner, but the one I did ride is now fairly close to the 100 mile marker. Productive day, if frustrating at times :)

16th January:
315852 Brentwood-Stratford - New entry - Cleared for 10 miles straight - new entry almost makes up for the near-25 minute delay to my appointment this morning through a double cancellation. Not happy, I could have stayed in bed later!
96479 Stratford-Bermondsey
377122 London Bridge-Wandsworth Common - New- Cleared for 10 miles straight
377306 Wandsworth Common-London Victoria - New - Cleared for 1 mile
09TS set 11 Victoria-Kings Cross St. Pancras - New - Cleared for 1 mile
S7 28 Kings Cross St. Pancras-Liverpool Street - First use of unit on Circle line - Now cleared for 1 mile
321443 Liverpool Street-Shenfield
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top