• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Red Pen 2015 - your new haulages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
There could be a huge dilemma for the 'red pen' men on the weekend of 18 and 19th April, with 09024 working at the East Lancs, classes 60 66 and 68 at Barrow Hill, and an FGW 08 (possibly 08483) at Epping Ongar.

Dilemma indeed! I would say the shunters will attract the higher percentage of appeal, and any of FGW's 08s are bound to be of significant appeal to both myself and a lot of the younger bashers amongst us, having not had any real opportunity to get them in the book.

*Goes back to the drawing board and starts a new round of TPP*
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FOSS Day 2:
43025; 43097; 43141; 43168; 43171; 43186; 43189 (Now over 50% for the FGW 43s, sadly most are on mere single station hops, although a bit hop between Swindon and Bristol Parkway [must be one of the longest station-free parts of railway in England] :))
150104; 150202; 150247; 150248
153382
220004

Doing well fair dos, and I wouldn't worry, a lot of my HST power cars were secured on one station hops (Cardiff Central to Newport being such leap, was the only way I could get 43193 in the book at the time, May 2008), much the same for some of the ScotRail stuff, Partick to Hyndland or Haymarket to Edinburgh leaps feature a lot in my moves book!

Can't remember where SWI-BPW fits in the top 10 of long stretches of railway without an intermediate station, but it should be well up the list. I believe Doncaster to York beats it though, if only just.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
FOSS Day 3:
150279
170397
175009 (just 2 x 175/0s left, although 7 175/1s)
220009; 220027

New track of the curve between Ninian Park & Grangetown (Penarth Curve?)
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
28/02/15:

A mate with "access" helped me fill some particularly pesky gaps in the book on saturday:
144002 144013
155343 155347
158906
321903
322484
333003 333006 333010 333014

Leaves me with 1 outstanding unit in the 144 and 155 classes and 2 Northern 158s. First time I've bothered with 321/322 so still 2 and 4 units left in those classes. 333s cleared on the day

01/03/15:
Random KWVR kettle veg:
1054 1704 75078 34092 90733 5820

Much winners and a relaxing day on the train recovering from the previous evening...

Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Dilemma indeed! I would say the shunters will attract the higher percentage of appeal, and any of FGW's 08s are bound to be of significant appeal to both myself and a lot of the younger bashers amongst us, having not had any real opportunity to get them in the book.

*Goes back to the drawing board and starts a new round of TPP*

Those desperate enough will deploy the fast car to do both. I suspect a saturday at BH, a sunday morning at the lancs then a race south for epping will work. I'll be spending Saturday at BH and Sunday at Bury
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
37038: Not much good to us without fast car moves! Looks like you had a productive weekend there though :)

Finally (after a break to sort out the room's clutter and other matters!) after 2 hours, I have my Requirements by TOC list updated! Some of the figures will change in the coming weeks and months, if they haven't already. For example, I haven't added 319s to my Northern requirements yet, they're still in the GN requirements. 387/2s have yet to be delivered so not added them to the GX figures. The data is as follows:

ATW: Cleared
LM: 8 350/3s
TPX: 10 185s, 9:350/4s, 4 170/3s
VTEC: 12 91s, 2 43s
CH: 5 68s (from the allocated pool), 15 165s, 2 172/1s
XC: Cleared
HT: Cleared
GC: 4 43s
SR: 1 314, 1 318, 5 320s, 13 334s, 12 380s, 19 170s, 16 158s (11 IS, 5 HA), 26 156s
VTWC: 9 390s (2 /0s, 7 /1s)
FGW: 6 165s, 7 166s, 1 158, 5 150s
SWT: 1 158, 12 444s, 72 450s, 44 455s, 36 458/5s, 16 456s
EMT: 7 153s, 8 156s, 16 222s
SN: 13 313s, 88 377s, 22 455s, 12 171s
GN: 11 313s, 6 317s, 6 321s, 21 365s
TL: 36 319s, 29 387s, 20 377s
SET: 39 375s, 24 376s, 66 465s (27 /0, 16 /1, 10 /2, 13 /9), 29 466s, 8 395s
GA: 2 153s, 4 156s, 3 170s, 22 315s, 32 317s (not including 317/7s), 65 321s, 14 360s, 18 379s, 5 90s
c2c: 57 357s
LO: 27 378s
NO: 30 142s (16 NH, 14 HT), 12 144s, 25 150s, 8 153s, 4 155s, 14 156s, 8 158s, 1 321/9, 3 322s, 5 333s
HX: 12 332s
GX: 12 442s
IL: 2 483s
MR: 3 507s, 1 508
ES: 56 373s

Total needs: 1,279

As you can guess, I'm going to be making some effort with GA, c2c and SWT when I head to London in a few weeks time!
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Random KWVR kettle veg:
1054 1704 75078 34092 90733 5820

I never had you down as a kettle ned! Despite my attendance, there were no winners there for me, although there were several I'd not had for a number of years - my last run behind 34092 was double headed with D9016 at the KWVR diesel gala in 1989!

Those desperate enough will deploy the fast car to do both. I suspect a saturday at BH, a sunday morning at the lancs then a race south for epping will work. I'll be spending Saturday at BH and Sunday at Bury

You also have to factor in the BLS tour on April 19, which some folk that do both locos and track will be on. Myself, I'll probably be trying to cover the Bluebell (for Deltics) as well as Epping Ongar, Barrow Hill and the ELR....
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
87electric:2094248 said:
Techniquest, have you cleared the 159 Class?

Indeed I have, managed that back in 2010 if memory serves correctly. Took me absolutely ages to find 159003 but eventually got it on a Westbury to Trowbridge leap, just by chance!
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
I never had you down as a kettle ned! Despite my attendance, there were no winners there for me, although there were several I'd not had for a number of years - my last run behind 34092 was double headed with D9016 at the KWVR diesel gala in 1989!



You also have to factor in the BLS tour on April 19, which some folk that do both locos and track will be on. Myself, I'll probably be trying to cover the Bluebell (for Deltics) as well as Epping Ongar, Barrow Hill and the ELR....

I'm not! Was on a WYDR the day before and found out my mates were in attendance so I turned up for the night out beforehand and then recovered on the train all day :)

The weekend of April 18/19 is going to introduce some difficult choices and I bet there's gonna be some trying to do as much as possible!

Thanks
 

87electric

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
1,243
Indeed I have, managed that back in 2010 if memory serves correctly. Took me absolutely ages to find 159003 but eventually got it on a Westbury to Trowbridge leap, just by chance!


Isn't it a great feeling to clear a Class completely? Well done on that.
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
Just got up to date.
20th Feb:
68008
168004
313044
313054
365504
377425
377707
387121
387122
450124
5727
5729
5871
456014
465035
466032

Trams:
2542
2544
2546
2554
2555

Underground:
21315/316
3541
3356

25th Feb
Edinburgh Trams:
253
257
263
268
277
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
02/03/15:

387 106
387 107
387 112
387 118
387 120
387 121
387 122

...so I've now got 13 haulages on this class, almost half way, after two missions. There were two more out ( 113/4 ) that I need but I was unable to get them as they were on the London Bridge diagram, I was on a Travelcard and a signal failure at Penge West resulted in all the Thameslink Brighton - London Bridge services being terminated at and starting back from East Croydon.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
87electric:2094291 said:
Indeed I have, managed that back in 2010 if memory serves correctly. Took me absolutely ages to find 159003 but eventually got it on a Westbury to Trowbridge leap, just by chance!


Isn't it a great feeling to clear a Class completely? Well done on that.

It is indeed, most satisfying and more so when it's a large class spread over a huge area. Imagine my joy when I cleared the 220s and 221s some years back!

Hopefully I'll be clearing some more classes this year, shall see what the rest of the year brings but Q1 2015 has been very good to me!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Imagine my joy when I cleared the 220s and 221s some years back!

Was it something like this?
'Yay I have cleared those rank things! I don't need to travel on them again any time soon!'
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,470
Was it something like this?
'Yay I have cleared those rank things! I don't need to travel on them again any time soon!'

Nail... head, at least that was what I thought when I cleared mine. :lol:
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I'm not! Was on a WYDR the day before and found out my mates were in attendance so I turned up for the night out beforehand and then recovered on the train all day :)

The weekend of April 18/19 is going to introduce some difficult choices and I bet there's gonna be some trying to do as much as possible!

Thanks

It;s a slippery slope - I only really used to do them if they were local or I was there. Now I'm down to less than 10 ex-BR operational ones!

A couple of new haulages for me at the weekend:
Nottingham Trams 219 & 220, the first of the new type ones I've had.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
fishquinn:2094600 said:
Imagine my joy when I cleared the 220s and 221s some years back!

Was it something like this?
'Yay I have cleared those rank things! I don't need to travel on them again any time soon!'

Not sure what I thought at the time, this was a few years back for the 221s so memory's not clear but I was certainly over the moon at finally clearing the dreadful things!

Mind you, I'll sure be celebrating the day I finally clear the 150s, it's been on my list of things to do for 10 years!
 

37038

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2014
Messages
701
It;s a slippery slope - I only really used to do them if they were local or I was there. Now I'm down to less than 10 ex-BR operational ones!

A couple of new haulages for me at the weekend:
Nottingham Trams 219 & 220, the first of the new type ones I've had.

Not bad going then, I've never got into the kettles really and I don't think I will fully, may other things I'd rather do with my money!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,858
Location
West of Andover
I'm looking forward to finally catching up with 444017 to clear the 444s. Next step will be trying to reduce the 450s (40 left). I will be happy to clear the 450s, compared to the 444s they are a bit horrible (mainly due to the 3+2 seating)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Kite159:2095294 said:
I'm looking forward to finally catching up with 444017 to clear the 444s. Next step will be trying to reduce the 450s (40 left). I will be happy to clear the 450s, compared to the 444s they are a bit horrible (mainly due to the 3+2 seating)

32 450s ahead of me then, and 11 444s! Could be worse than 450s mind, we could always send you lot a fudge load of Pacers instead...
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
Well, if we're talking about what we still need for haulage in the UK, then my list ( excluding locomotives*, anything preserved and the 387/2, 700 and 800 series for the moment ) is:

*I have all the current dedicated passenger ones and 12 of the 67s.


Trams:

Blackpool: all 16 new ones.

Manchester: 65 left plus any ordered beyond number 3104 ( I think there's been a few added? ).

Nottingham: all 22 new ones.

Edinburgh: all 27.

Croydon: 2560 to 2563 ( delivery due this year ).

Birmingham: All 20 new ones.


Units:

350/3: all 10

350/4: 7

380s: all

387/1: 16



Underground:

S7: I have all up to 21443/4 with the exception of 21345/6, 21381/2, 21383/4, 21385/6, 24431/2 and 21441/2.


And that's it - which explains why I'm not in this thread very much!
 
Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
A very busy couple of weeks for me.

20th February
43296
153302
153374
222009

21st February
139002
158829
221117
323216
323240
323243
390044

25th February
142005
390042
390141

26th February
142011
142028
142049
142065
142070
150116
150132
150136
150144
150226
150273
156486
158812
221109
350407

28th February
158819
170115
170631
172211
172220
172221
172333
172335
172341
172342
323217
323219
323221
390125
390136

Total(YTD):72
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Busy indeed TEW!

That would certainly explain the lack of postings from you Peter Mugridge (I hope I've spelt that correctly!), not much you need at all. I'm assuming you've been doing this for a long time to have such a full book!

Mind you, I see you've had all the 345s and 801s already ;)
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,853
Location
Oakham
Yes, I've been an enthusiast for 36 years now.

It does say above that I obviously haven't got any of the 800 series yet... forgot about the 345s yes!

I had most of the slammers that were around from the mid 1980s as well, on the underground I had all the 1956 / 1959 / 1962 stock bar those that had already gone through accident damage and also the bulk of the 1938 stock that survived on the Bakerloo in the late 1980s.

Then there were several hundred first generation DMU cars and I also have all of the current non-Royal coaching stock bar some of the charter Mk1 / 2 stuff.

Overseas I have most of the Eurostars, about three dozen TGVs, virtually everything in the Ile de France area, a reasonable number of older belgian stock and a small number of german stuff from a trip to a wedding in a suburb of Frankfurt called Russelsheim a few years ago... Oh yes, and a few NY Subway haulages - including some Redbirds - that I bagged while on honeymoon
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Very nice indeed, fair dos. I hope to have something similar to that sort of list when I hit 36 years on the scene!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top