• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent BBC News item about Invalid ticket purchase with a Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
967
Location
Whitley Bay
I've just seen an article on BBC about a chap from Glossop who bought an invalid ticket.

Every day, I see articles on this forum about similar incidents .. I was just wondering why his case is national news.

Surely it is the responsibility of the railcard user to know all the regulations etc about their use before buying a ticket
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,072
Location
Selby
I've just seen an article on BBC about a chap from Glossop who bought an invalid ticket.

Every day, I see articles on this forum about similar incidents .. I was just wondering why his case is national news.

Surely it is the responsibility of the railcard user to know all the regulations etc about their use before buying a ticket
Id agree but prosecution is rather heavy handed. I had a friend who did this about 12 years ago for the first and last time when he was chinged for an anytime single. The issue is passengers making an honest mistake and the a sledgehammer being used to crack the nut.
 

Cuthbert

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2024
Messages
321
Location
United Kingdom
I've just seen an article on BBC about a chap from Glossop who bought an invalid ticket.

Every day, I see articles on this forum about similar incidents .. I was just wondering why his case is national news.

Surely it is the responsibility of the railcard user to know all the regulations etc about their use before buying a ticket

This has already been typed about with people's opinions here
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
You may want to have a read of this thread:


As well as this thread which is about the subject in general:

 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,813
Location
UK
The chap involved posted about his experience on Twitter* and this became very popular very quickly - his Tweet* received around 6 million views the last time I checked. Not quite sure why, as it's not like he had a huge following on Twitter*, but sometimes social media posts resonate.

Northern really don't seem to get how bad they look when they prosecute people over disputes for £1.90. It smacks of being "jobsworthy" and petty, let alone excessive.

*No, I'm not calling it X, or whatever that daft billionaire has renamed it to this week
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top