• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Received letter about outstanding PFN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bemused1

New Member
Joined
8 Jan 2025
Messages
1
Location
Birmingham
When a PFN is issued what checks are actually done at the time?

Two days before Christmas I received a letter from Ircas to my address about an outstanding PFN in the name of a woman I have never heard of.

As the only telephone number given is an expensive 0870 prefix I completed the contact form on their website and sealed the envelope back up and marked it 'unknown at this address' and put in a postbox.

I've not heard back from Ircas despite their website stating they respond within 5 working days.

I really would like confirmation this isn't going to escalate further but what else can I do unless Ircas actually respond to the contact form submission?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
If you have any contact from IRCAS, make sure you spell it out that
(1) you opened the letter in error
(2) that you are not the person, and that they have not to your knowledge lived at your address.

Should any further letters arrive (maybe with red ink?!) do the same as before but don't open them.

Unfortunately, railway inspectors do not always check ID, and cannot always do so anyway as we are not required to have ID in this country.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
It's quite common for people to give false details. Although staff will try and verify details this isn't always possible and, thakfully, we aren't required to carry ID in this country.

If you get further contact about this I would do more than just send the letter back saying 'not known at this address'. I would send a covering letter explaining the position. I would also send the letter by Royal Mail Signed For post so that you have an audit trail in case of further query.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,317
When a PFN is issued what checks are actually done at the time?

Two days before Christmas I received a letter from Ircas to my address about an outstanding PFN in the name of a woman I have never heard of.

As the only telephone number given is an expensive 0870 prefix I completed the contact form on their website and sealed the envelope back up and marked it 'unknown at this address' and put in a postbox.

I've not heard back from Ircas despite their website stating they respond within 5 working days.

I really would like confirmation this isn't going to escalate further but what else can I do unless Ircas actually respond to the contact form submission?
So likely someone is using your identity of course. It would be wise to take other precautions ref identity theft. Eg check bank accounts you own, change passwords and strengthen them etc.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,825
So likely someone is using your identity of course. It would be wise to take other precautions ref identity theft. Eg check bank accounts you own, change passwords and strengthen them etc.
Hardly likely to be identity theft with a different name!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top