Hi all,
I'm mindful that regulars have been frustrated recently by new members like me asking questions without searching, as an experienced member on a couple of different fora I can totally understand the feeling! I have done a fair bit of searching and reading through old threads about work/life balance, impact of shift working and holidays but I'm hoping I might be able to get some opinions/info that I haven't found yet.
If I have 26 days annual leave working on the railways, what kind of restrictions are in place on how/when it's taken? I saw one post implying that leave is taken in week long blocks, with one in spring, two in summer (or late summer, as the poster said) and one in winter. Is this the case? Obviously 26 days/4 day week is more than 4 weeks. Is there flexibility to take a day or two at a time? If I needed a single day off with a week's notice, say (thinking about something like a rental inspection), is that something which might be approved (subject to who else is off of course) or would it be very unlikely?
A lot of people posting about work/life balance have mentioned the impact on their partners. What is the most difficult thing for them? Is it having to attend social occasions alone? Being disturbed by you getting up/coming home at 'strange' times? Not having regular time with you?
Finally, for customer-facing staff, how often do you go home upset/stressed by passengers etc? I know this will vary from person to person and is partly about coping skills but I'm trying to get a handle on how often difficult situations arise.
Thanks for wading through the epic post, and for any feedback you can give!
I'm mindful that regulars have been frustrated recently by new members like me asking questions without searching, as an experienced member on a couple of different fora I can totally understand the feeling! I have done a fair bit of searching and reading through old threads about work/life balance, impact of shift working and holidays but I'm hoping I might be able to get some opinions/info that I haven't found yet.
If I have 26 days annual leave working on the railways, what kind of restrictions are in place on how/when it's taken? I saw one post implying that leave is taken in week long blocks, with one in spring, two in summer (or late summer, as the poster said) and one in winter. Is this the case? Obviously 26 days/4 day week is more than 4 weeks. Is there flexibility to take a day or two at a time? If I needed a single day off with a week's notice, say (thinking about something like a rental inspection), is that something which might be approved (subject to who else is off of course) or would it be very unlikely?
A lot of people posting about work/life balance have mentioned the impact on their partners. What is the most difficult thing for them? Is it having to attend social occasions alone? Being disturbed by you getting up/coming home at 'strange' times? Not having regular time with you?
Finally, for customer-facing staff, how often do you go home upset/stressed by passengers etc? I know this will vary from person to person and is partly about coping skills but I'm trying to get a handle on how often difficult situations arise.
Thanks for wading through the epic post, and for any feedback you can give!