• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Real Time Trains V TOC sites and NRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
Who is most reliable?
I'm using Real Times trains to check a possible journey using split tickets.
Going through the original itinerary I find that one leg of the journey isn't showing at all on RRT but is still available to book on TOCS and split sites
If I book it and need to alter my journey afterwards or on route via the only way I'll get home will I need to buy again, travel on the same tickets without buying more, or should I follow the original itinerary and expect the TOC to get me home.

If they are not on RRT now what chance will the train reappear and run?
From experience RRT is usually correct with NRE and TOC sites only removing the train on at the last moment
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,749
RTT gets a timetable feed direct from Network Rail. NRE and the TOCs get a feed that is processed to add in some retail information, during which the timings are vetted to make sure that they are logical and achievable.

However, that timetable data should be the same across all feeds for 99.9% of the time. The why and wherefore of the differences will be down to how the individual recipient systems compile the itineraries.
 

nw-sparks

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2013
Messages
273
Location
Liverpool
If you can specify the date and service, I'll have a look at my timetable database to see what it says. RTT does get things wrong, but only very rarely.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
If you can specify the date and service, I'll have a look at my timetable database to see what it says. RTT does get things wrong, but only very rarely.
The service not showing on RTT is 20:23 Chester to Shrewsbury 25th March.
If I put this into TFW's journey planner it still shows.

The return split ticket is Todmorden - Chester and Chester - Shrewsbury
The Todmorden - Chester train calls at Manchester Victoria giving me an option of changing there and catching the Man Picc - Shrewsbury so to avoid the ''missing RTT'' service.
None are advance tickets so could I chose to amend my journey?

Experience tells me TFW or NRE will remove the 20:23 on Saturday when I've already bought my ticket the cynic tells possibly after the train I'm on has past Man Vic.
 

nw-sparks

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2013
Messages
273
Location
Liverpool
That train is showing OK in my version of the database, I don't know who is right.

So far this year it has run 8 times, and was cancelled on 7 and 14 January, and 18 March.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
Its returned, I was entering ''Shrewsbury'' into the subsequent box and it wasn't there now it is.
I'll do my split itinerary to the exact service and if TFW put a 150 or nothing at all on it then there's a good chance of a Taxi home.
 

penguin8967

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2020
Messages
136
Location
South West
RTT will (in my experience anyway) never update for additional/removed stops and won't register a train as being late until it passes a timing point behind schedule. I personally use both for live information - TOC apps have the advantage of being quicker to update but RTT helps me know where a train is.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
RTT will (in my experience anyway) never update for additional/removed stops and won't register a train as being late until it passes a timing point behind schedule. I personally use both for live information - TOC apps have the advantage of being quicker to update but RTT helps me know where a train is.
It does provide platforms before NRE(which removes them on the day of travel), TOC sites and station screens and by the looks of it commuters use it too as I've seen platforms packed waiting for specific trains that as yet isn't showing on the concourse.

In the case of TFW substituting using a 150 or the Gerald instead of a 175/158 it will be late as they can't keep the times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top