• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading to Shepherds Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.

timberwo7ves

Member
Joined
26 Sep 2010
Messages
6
Hi guys :]

From February, I'll be needing to travel from Reading (RDG) to Shepherd's Bush (either rail or underground) for an evening course twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) (arriving in Shepherd's Bush before 645pm).

And then from Shepherd's Bush, back to either Feltham (FEL) or Sunbury (SUU) after 10pm-ish (need about 10-15min to walk from class to the station, so trains after 1030pm)

Would the cheapest option be to buy a Zones 1-6 (for ShepherdsBush-FEL) and a ticket from RDG to a station in zone 6 (which would be the first it hits on the RDG-Waterloo (WAT)?)

I have a 16-25 railcard. And a pay&go oyster.

-
On a similar note, I heard that you can use pay and go Oyster cards on SWtrains now; I'm a bit wary about it overcharging incase I touch it at the wrong place :s

Appreciate any help/advice, thanks :]
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
A return from Reading to Shepherds Bush is £12.55 +London, you could use this to do Reading-London; London-Shepherds Bush; Shepherds Bush-Feltham. This is valid on HSTs Reading-Paddington if you go that way.

A single from Reading to Boundary Zone 6 Route Slough is £6.15 (a return is only 5p more!) or Route Ascot is £6.80, and a Travelcard is £5.00 so this totals £11.15 via Slough so is cheaper. This is valid on HSTs Reading-Paddington if you go that way.

Alternatively if you wish to use PAYG you will need to touch in where you change from one ticket to another, this means you cannot get a fast train and you will likely miss the train you are on - so do this at a station with lots of trains to choose from! Reading to Ealing Broadway is £8.20 single (a return is 5p more), and Reading to Feltham is £6.80 single.

To find PAYG single fares use this site:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/f...ate&on=Barking&dn=Willesden+Junction&ft=Adult

It alerts you if cheaper routes are available avoiding London and in such cases it will instruct you to use a Pink Route Validator (see other topic ;))
 

timberwo7ves

Member
Joined
26 Sep 2010
Messages
6
Thanks for the HSR XD

Would it be cheaper with my railcard (can you buy the £5 travelcard with the 1/3 off discount), or were those prices inclusive? :)

edit:
Sorry, how do I choose a boundary zone ticket online, or do I have to do it at the station? I tried BZ6 but it didn't work on the First Great Western site.
 
Last edited:

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
Those prices are with the railcard discount; a travelcard is £7.50 without.

As far as I know, Boundary Zone tickets can't be purchased online.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top